Apple rumored to fill iconic Castro Street building in San Francisco

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

An historic landmark building at the epicenter of San Francisco's gay district is rumored to become the city's fourth Apple Store…The building sits next to … and underneath an oversized rainbow flag. Diesel also recently outfitted the building with an animated series of LED lights that illuminate to give it a rainbow appearance at night.

I wonder if anyone at Apple has considered bringing back the original rainbow Apple logo for this store? image

• Reply 22 of 27
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    [B]HELLO, 'Frisco![/B]...
  • Reply 23 of 27
    the "globe/earth" sign at the left side of that photo looks like the coffee shop that was the major meeting point in "The Lword"... of course have not watched that show since the first episode of the Last season... (and only really watched the first two seasons(on DVD) , and a few episodes of the preceding seasons) but the show is on NETFLIX...
  • Reply 24 of 27
    wizard69 wrote: »
    Apple needs a new VP of retail management bad.   Somebody with the strength to scrape the really negative parts of Apples stores.    

Number one problem is there is no simple in and out path.   What do I mean by this?    Simple a damn cash register so that you can grab the I accessory you need, pay for it and get the hell out of the store.   The buying experience sucks in an Apple store.   Now if you are shopping it is a different story, but going into an Apple store knowing exactly what you want and then trying to leave with it is a big hassle.  

By the way the bursting at the seams is a real problem in most Apple stores I've visited.   It is a good thing I suppose unless of course you are just there to actually buy something.  

use the apple store app to scan and pay for the "non serial number items" or cables and such... using the credit card attached to your itunes account...

no need for a cash register, or an Employee to cash you out...

... just need your ipod touch, or ipad, or iphone.... just learned about it when i Mentioned it to an Apple employee (or complained) about the time needed to buy a cable...
  • Reply 25 of 27

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Actually it isn't as uncommon as you might think.   In fact they are way behind the times in California.   Downtown redevelopments are nothing new, once example being Greenville SC where I'm currently at.    It is one of those things that goes in cycles as government has an inborn need to waste the publics money.   Twenty years from now they will call it stupid and rip it all up for whatever is trendy at the moment.   It really is a silly waste of money, churn if you will.   

Note that streets anyway need to be redone every 30 years or so, more often in high traffic zones. It does depend on the place and conditions (here in the Netherlands, I can't even understand how the people tolerate the awful pavements... then again, they don't walk, they drive or cycle), like heavy rain tropical zones will clearly need higher maintenance, seismic zones also, but apart from these extreme cases, 30 years seems to be an admitted timespan.

I do believe that the government does not have "an inborn desire" to spend money, but that some people always arise in governments who have "friends" that need some "job to do". Deciding whether or not it's a good thing is a hard question. 

It does seem that when your job is paid for by the government's spending (Hello, Boeing, how's that horrible refueller jet you sold the USAF through political manipulation doing? Are the employees working on it happy to not be unemployed?), your happiness with their spending is higher than when it's not. 

Should the US have gone for the better and safer Airbus refueller, and put thousands of American highly qualified workers out of a job? 

I'm not certain that governments are really "wasting" as much money as people think.

On top of it, everyone disagrees on what is "waste". Is it a waste to pour billions on art programs, education, saving fat bankers, "helping" oil industries that don't need help, offering tax rebates to corporations that "absolutely need them to not be forced to move abroad", financing public health programs, waging dangerous wars, maintaining hundred of thousands of nuclear missiles and hundreds of navy ships, and so many other spending usages that people will disagree on?

• Reply 26 of 27

Quote:

Originally Posted by haar View Post

use the apple store app to scan and pay for the "non serial number items" or cables and such... using the credit card attached to your itunes account...

... just need your ipod touch, or ipad, or iphone.... just learned about it when i Mentioned it to an Apple employee (or complained) about the time needed to buy a cable...

This, I did not know at all. Apple needs to put huge signs in the Apple Store to make it obvious (but won't because it's ugly).

• Reply 27 of 27

Quote:

Originally Posted by haar View Post

Is this under Passbook? How would I be able to connect to the wifi with my iPod Touch? They usually require passwords.

Regarding the story - this is a crazy good location for any retail store. You'd have to be nuts not to take it. It's smack in the middle of San Francisco. 17th St, Castro St, and Market St. all converge on this intersection. Market St is always crazy busy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I wonder how Apple doesn't get a 500% rent increase as soon as they indicate an interest in a piece of vacant retail property.

If Apple doesn't like the terms they can simply walk. It's not like there's only one place to build a store. Real estate doesn't work like that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by boriscleto View Post

What is Apple going to do about all the naked people walking around?

LOL! Haha! That's funny. They narrowly voted against the public nudity, I think 5-4 or something. It came down to one vote. Ah, SF, most liberal city in the country. Any other city and it's not even up for consideration. The perps are jailed and fined and that's that. Could you imagine people walking around naked in Oklahoma City? Salt Lake City? City of Mormons, now that I think about it, it might actually be funny.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Apple needs a new VP of retail management bad.   Somebody with the strength to scrape the really negative parts of Apples stores.    

Number one problem is there is no simple in and out path.   What do I mean by this?    Simple a damn cash register so that you can grab the I accessory you need, pay for it and get the hell out of the store.   The buying experience sucks in an Apple store.   Now if you are shopping it is a different story, but going into an Apple store knowing exactly what you want and then trying to leave with it is a big hassle.  

By the way the bursting at the seams is a real problem in most Apple stores I've visited.   It is a good thing I suppose unless of course you are just there to actually buy something.  

Apple stores make more money per square foot than any other retailer on earth. If there are any "really negative parts of Apple's stores" it certainly isn't in the money making part. :) They may not change, there's not much incentive to. Cables and accessories are not high margin products and their product mix is very different from a 7-11.

Apple offers special payment plans for those who qualify. I just ordered a 27" iMac and I won't have to make any payments until the middle of 2014. When was the last time you went into a 7-11 and bought something that needed a special payment plan?