New smaller form factor Apple TV supposedly outed by the FCC

Comments

• Reply 41 of 67

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

2) It's HEVC as well as ISO/IEC 23008-2 MPEG-H Part 2 and ITU-T H.HEVC. It had tentative names of H.265 and H.NGVC. H.265 stands out better to me than HEVC.

It follows the string of existing names better, at least. I like 'em both, I was just unsure if they'd opted to keep calling it H.265 officially, too.

• Reply 42 of 67
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    peteralt wrote: »
    With the A5X, it might be able to do 3D 1080p. Not a big deal since all newer Blu-Ray players already do this, but a necessary function that Apple TV needs to catch up on. Of course, you would need a 3D TV in order to view and a catalog of 3D movies available.

New Apple Cinema Display and Pixar/Disney and Dreamworks announce they are making their 3d films avail on iTunes. In a shocking move they will be added as another form to the existing SD/720/1080 files, not as separate purchases although those that both the previous set will have to pay an additional $3 to get the 3D added to their purchase. Also announced is a new iTunes Plus style feature where those that bought or received a free SD Digital Copy can pay the difference to get the full set on all movies an TV shows which will now all be in at least 720p
  • Reply 43 of 67
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    peteralt wrote: »
    3D comes in many flavors. There's 3D without glasses too, including a technology I'm involved in developing.

I don't mind the glasses if they are the lightweight ones that feel like a pair of sunglasses.
  • Reply 44 of 67

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"Steve would have… " Wait, Steve actually WOULD have been furious at them…

So. It's a box. And it's smaller. Not a TV, huh. Okay.

Forget the TV. Apple is not going to build a TV set. That idea is a red herring.

• Reply 45 of 67
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    I'm completely happy with my Apple TV. I'm not sure what there is to improve, other than perhaps lowering the production cost. The 4.22 mm reduction in size might allow for smaller packaging and a reduction in shipping costs. Anyway, I can't see any reason to replace the Apple TV I already have.
  • Reply 46 of 67
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    panu wrote: »
    So, the FCC outed the new Apple TV. I would never have guessed it was gay! Don't worry, Apple TV, it just gets better.

BTW, "it gets better" ... not like the NIKE slogan "just do it "... /Pedantic
  • Reply 47 of 67
    Maybe this one will allow me to AirPlay my iPhone App Games on my TV instead of just the music from my iPhone App Games... Seems like just a tweak to the code is needed.
  • Reply 48 of 67
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    waybacmac wrote: »
    Forget the TV. Apple is not going to build a TV set. That idea is a red herring.

I Believe they will, but it will be a 4Kset meaning it will be an ultra resolution set or 3840 x 2160 ... and that is a State-of-the-art tv set... (Apple only does "state-of-the-art") ..but . because those types of sets have only been Announced by other manufacturers at the 2013 CES show, it'll take at least two years for Apple to even bring out a 4 K tv set... so they can sell it at or around 4300 dollars ... get it 3840 x 2160 res (4K) and a price of 4K dollars LOL
  • Reply 49 of 67

Originally Posted by waybacmac View Post

I'm not sure about that. I'm still not totally sold on the intelligence of the idea, but I at least see an avenue whereby I could be sold on it.

Originally Posted by hair View Post

…it will be a 4Kset meaning… …State-of-the-art… (Apple only does "state-of-the-art")

Then they should sell an SHV TV instead. That's actually retina, so it fits their current trend.

• Reply 50 of 67

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Yes it is official and since Apple can design their own chips perhaps it is included but I am no expert on hardware video encoding so perhaps someone more knowledgeable in the new codec can weigh in.

This is a software upgrade only. As long as the GPU has enough oomph. I suspect even the last rev does. Decoding is the easy part, for exactly that reason.

But even in that case, it's not clear Apple would want to use it. It would cut bandwidth, which would be great, but they'd have to roll it out across ALL of their platforms, and that doesn't seem likely. They could roll it out only on platforms that can handle it, but then they'd have to keep two copies of all their content. Maybe that solution isn't all that bad.

• Reply 51 of 67
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member

I'm not sure about that. I'm still not totally sold on the intelligence of the idea, but I at least see an avenue whereby I could be sold on it.

Well, that's a 180
    Then they should sell an SHV TV instead. That's actually retina, so it fits their current trend.

Won't we need faster residential internet access? In 2011 the average was 9 Mbps, with an expected 34 Mbps in 2016. Only have this Cisco piece on it: http://newsroom.cisco.com/press-release-content?articleId=888280
  • Reply 52 of 67

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Well, that's a 180

Let's call it a "120°, driving on an S-curve" right now.

In 2011 the average was 9 Mbps, with an expected 34 Mbps in 2016.

Only four-fold? That's pathetic, but in line with the past…

• Reply 53 of 67

Quote:

How prevalent are 3D HDTV's? I've read what a failure they are but I also read everyday what a failure Apple is, too.

Blu-ray adoption is clearly higher than 3D HDTV's but 3D might be an easier add for Apple as it is just having good enough HW, not special HW, and the right SW. Is that correct?

If you add to the equation the movie studios pushing Apple to add the feature to their iTunes Store then I can see that as being an option that we shouldn't discount. The 32nm A5X should be able to handle that, right?

The A5X must be able to drive two 1080p images at 120 FPS in order to achieve a good quality HD image. It may have just enough, or just short. If it can't, I would bet on the A7 being capable of this. If this capability is dependent on a future processor, expect future generation iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch with that processor to have it.

Of interest to note here is that Apple has many 3D patents not presently being used in any product. One is for a system that allows for a 3D display without glasses, similar to Sega's but with better quality and less strain on the eyes. Another is a sensor for a camera that measures the depths of objects with an invisible laser.

3D has many issues but all if them are being addressed and it will be commonplace in the not so distant future, like sound, color, stereo, HD, surround sound all have become.

• Reply 54 of 67

Quote:

How prevalent are 3D HDTV's? I've read what a failure they are but I also read everyday what a failure Apple is, too.

Blu-ray adoption is clearly higher than 3D HDTV's but 3D might be an easier add for Apple as it is just having good enough HW, not special HW, and the right SW. Is that correct?

If you add to the equation the movie studios pushing Apple to add the feature to their iTunes Store then I can see that as being an option that we shouldn't discount. The 32nm A5X should be able to handle that, right?

The A5X must be able to drive two 1080p images at 120 FPS in order to achieve a good quality HD image. It may have just enough, or just short. If it can't, I would bet on the A7 being capable of this. If this capability is dependent on a future processor, expect future generation iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch with that processor to have it.

Of interest to note here is that Apple has many 3D patents not presently being used in any product. One is for a system that allows for a 3D display without glasses, similar to Sega's but with better quality and less strain on the eyes. Another is a sensor for a camera that measures the depths of objects with an invisible laser.

3D has many issues but all if them are being addressed and it will be commonplace in the not so distant future, like sound, color, stereo, HD, surround sound all have become.

• Reply 55 of 67

Whatever's going on with the Apple TV, I certainly hope it isn't about 3D. Apple pushing that gimmick would be terrible.

I'm all for 3D when it's 1. no additional cost and 2. glasses-free. Don't make it another step and don't make it any harder than anything else.

• Reply 56 of 67
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

I'm completely happy with my Apple TV. I'm not sure what there is to improve, other than perhaps lowering the production cost. The 4.22 mm reduction in size might allow for smaller packaging and a reduction in shipping costs. Anyway, I can't see any reason to replace the Apple TV I already have.

Boy- I can!  A ton of reasons- I have the 3 Apple TV 3s and can easily imagine reasons to replace them.  Here is my wish list for what information we know so far:

-Applications (Larger SSD- the current 8gb isn't near enough- 16gb would be adequate, 32gb preferred).  You can't have Apps with the current device because of size limitations.

-Stream iTV- whether it be Vios or U-verse.  As mentioned in this thread- they could even do a cable company.

-Built in DVR if it has iTV (again- with 32gb, this would be attainable.  Or at the very least, a software tweak to be able to record and store on a Mac).

-Better search functionality via remote.  Specifically Siri.  Remote looks the same with an additional button you hold, it mutes what you're watching (or turns down substantially), and you tell it what to do or search for.

Software related:

-Unified search across all applications (Even if they dont have apps- this should happen).

-If no apps, add some other ones- like Amazon, HBO, Pandora, CNN, ESPN, or other popular ones.

I'd gladly not only replace my ATVs, but pay more in the process ($199).  By the way- this would make this the best box in the market.  By a mile.  There is absolutely no reason why Apple shouldn't have all the above on the next release (with the exception of iTV- which is just a wish, but possible).

• Reply 57 of 67

One idea of how they could do a TV, and with apps, is to have something like Sky Go on it.  In other words, have the cable/sat company have an app that functions like the stb in watching tv, it is simply an app.

No, I don't have Sky Go, I live in the US, but from what I have seen online about Sky Go, it would seem like the ideal type of app for an Apple TV.

• Reply 58 of 67
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    Here in NZ Sky Go is called iSky - not bad. The only hiccup with it here is that it's all flash encoded -> no iPad, no iPhone, bummer.
    I believe Sky Go supports both - so good job Sky and boo on Sky nz's implementation.

I use a Mac mini as an htpc connected wifi. Sometimes some buffering but nothing you can't live with.
    Quality is superior to other internet streams particularly noticeable with sport channels.
  • Reply 59 of 67
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member

Now that you have me thinking here, I'm not sure which is the greatest development of mankind.  Velcro sure is useful, and is interesting based on something natural.  

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I believe you meant, the microprocessor is perhaps the greatest thing since velcro.

• Reply 60 of 67

So can people actually buy this model A1469 Apple TV? I see the model number on the Apple site hasn't changed, there are no change references for A5X or other changes in the tech specs. Is this still a future shipping product?