BlackBerry announces new company name, new Z10 & Q10 devices running BB10

Comments

• Reply 61 of 111

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It would have more sense to get Chuck Berry… or maybe not because that's what BB users have been doing for the past 6 years, chucking their blackberries.

Fred Berry would be my pick.

Rerun.....get it?

AppleMark

• Reply 62 of 111

Or Ken Berry.

Then they can name it the new Mayberry10 RFD

• Reply 63 of 111

Pogue's review in the New York Times sings the Z10's praises, especially its predictive text capabilities.

I do have to say that iOS's predictive text capabilities suck. Big time. I can't believe that after six years of iPhone use, the darn thing still types in 'gave' when I mean to type 'have' and 'live' when mean to type 'love.' And many more like that. Moreover, it has a serious bias against -- and does not seem to have the capability to remember -- non-US proper names.

Seriously improving the quality of its predictive texting capabilities would be, for me, the BIGGEST fix that iOS7 could make.

• Reply 64 of 111

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

There was a article in Yahoo yesterday where there's a markedly switch from the iPhone in Hong Kong and Singapore.

Yeah, since an article in Yahoo! said so, it must be true. image

• Reply 65 of 111

Priceless, indeed. And pathetic too, I might add...... image

• Reply 66 of 111

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

France is not exactly the center of the universe.

No, that's right. CERN* invented the web, the microcomputer comes from Lannion, "we"** built the fastest commercial liner, the biggest one, the fastest passenger train, the smallest nuclear aircraft carrier (which may, or may not, be a good thing, but a cool one nonetheless), and single handedly built satellite launchers back when the space race was on. It does make France slightly relevant, if clearly not the center of the universe.

You're anyway missing the point, which is that "standard" keyboard is relevant to a given market. In the US, standard is QWERTY. In Paris, it's AZERTY. In Japan, it's complicated (I know, I saw one, it has ???? all over it. I did not let it approach me, of course, I destroyed it with a flame thrower and survived the onslaught of alien characters...).

*CERN actually means Centre Européen de Recherche Nucléaire, and the name is French mainly because France has the atom bomb, to make it simple. It's a very european endeavor, and the main actors (Berners-Lee/Cailliau) of the invention of the web actually are British and Belgian. Europe is a complex beast, which is why I live in Amsterdam. Maar ik ben geen gekke Frans...

** It is a bit ludicrous to attribute to myself using "we" the merits of much more intelligent people, but it's one of the issues with nationalism.

• Reply 67 of 111

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

1. The corpses of Palm / Handspring / Windows Mobile nods in agreement.

2. You mean "original", not "revolutionary." The iPhone did spark a revolution in what the public expected from their smartphones, and that in turn put companies that adapted quickly (Samsung) ahead of companies that did not (Nokia, RIM). Since 2007, the marketshare numbers for smartphones flipped from the old guard (Palm, Nokia, RIM) to the new (Apple, Samsung).

1- And rightly so. Having been forced to work with these as a programmer, and to be honest STILL being forced to maintain existing systems, I'd revive them just for the opportunity of killing them again.

2- That's a very true definition of "revolutionary", but I'm afraid it's not the one that most people use when they say "Apple's revolutionary". It would, after all, make Microsoft a much more revolutionary company than Apple, since they pretty much redefined the PC world. Still, very right.

• Reply 68 of 111
    I like how they named it the 1 letter that Canadians and Americans say differently. The "Zed 10".
  • Reply 69 of 111

Quote:

Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

No, that's right. CERN* invented the web, the microcomputer comes from Lannion, "we"** built the fastest commercial liner, the biggest one, the fastest passenger train, the smallest nuclear aircraft carrier (which may, or may not, be a good thing, but a cool one nonetheless), and single handedly built satellite launchers back when the space race was on. It does make France slightly relevant, if clearly not the center of the universe.

You're anyway missing the point, which is that "standard" keyboard is relevant to a given market. In the US, standard is QWERTY. In Paris, it's AZERTY. In Japan, it's complicated (I know, I saw one, it has ???? all over it. I did not let it approach me, of course, I destroyed it with a flame thrower and survived the onslaught of alien characters...).

*CERN actually means Centre Européen de Recherche Nucléaire, and the name is French mainly because France has the atom bomb, to make it simple. It's a very european endeavor, and the main actors (Berners-Lee/Cailliau) of the invention of the web actually are British and Belgian. Europe is a complex beast, which is why I live in Amsterdam. Maar ik ben geen gekke Frans...

** It is a bit ludicrous to attribute to myself using "we" the merits of much more intelligent people, but it's one of the issues with nationalism.

Thanks for that lesson. You could have added many many more things, like diplomacy, the novel as an art form, ballet, great cuisine, fashion, champagne, braille, photography, pasteurization..... but I digress.

I apologize on behalf of the far-right in my country. They can, more often than not, come through as a bunch of uninformed asses. In fact, one of their own leaders recently had to admonish them, telling them (I am quoting) "...Stop being the stupid party."

• Reply 70 of 111
    qrobqrob Posts: 5member

And Zed Zed Top is still going image

• Reply 71 of 111

Quote:

Originally Posted by qrob View Post

And Zed Zed Top is still going image

I thought Zed was from Zardoz.

• Reply 72 of 111
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

France is not exactly the center of the universe.

Indeed. We all know it's Botswana.

• Reply 73 of 111
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Pogue's review in the New York Times sings the Z10's praises, especially its predictive text capabilities.

I do have to say that iOS's predictive text capabilities suck. Big time. I can't believe that after six years of iPhone use, the darn thing still types in 'gave' when I mean to type 'have' and 'live' when mean to type 'love.' And many more like that. Moreover, it has a serious bias against -- and does not seem to have the capability to remember -- non-US proper names.

Seriously improving the quality of its predictive texting capabilities would be, for me, the BIGGEST fix that iOS7 could make.

Apple might be prevented by patents from adopting better predictive typing.

• Reply 74 of 111
    They have changed their company name, but how many people knew that Blackberry was RIM? So they are just calling their company by how people really knew them, Blackberry. If they really wanted to get out from under the bad Blackberry karma, they should have come up with a completely new name. A Blackberry is a Blackberry is a Blackberry... it will always be a Blackberry. Even though it is trying to change its spots. As the Apple ad says "If you don't have an iPhone, you don't have an iPhone."
  • Reply 75 of 111
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I see the letters q, w, e, r, t, and y in succession. Pretty dang sure that's what it is. No one knows what a Remington keyboard is.

You're just being a jerk as usual.  You know exactly what I mean.  

Almost all keyboards (Dvorak ones being the major exception) are QWERTY keyboards.  

The article attempts to differentiate between the iPhone keyboard and the Blackberry keyboard, or the Blackberry Z10 keyboard and the Blackberry Q10 keyboard, by referring to the one with the physical keys as "QWERTY" when in fact they are all QWERTY.  It just perpetuates the Stupidity that physical keyboards are QWERTY and others are not.  

It's just sloppy thinking and writing and all it does is energise the veritable army of ignoramuses who believe that virtual keyboards are not also QWERTY keyboards. 

• Reply 76 of 111
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

imageimageimage

• Reply 77 of 111

Quote:

Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Apple might be prevented by patents from adopting better predictive typing.

Then they should pay for the damn IP.

• Reply 78 of 111

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Then they should pay for the damn IP.

And buy BB.

• Reply 79 of 111
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    jollypaul wrote: »
    I thought Zed was from Zardoz.

And I thought Zed was dead
  • Reply 80 of 111

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

And buy BB.

If anyone should buy BB, it's probably HP.

Apple is doing fine on its own, as far as I can tell.