Rumor: 'G/F2' touchscreen will make Apple's next 9.7" iPad thinner, lighter

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38

I do believe we're not going to see a retina iPad mini. It'd just mean a lot fewer people buying the full iPad which would hurt AAPL's profit further, no matter how much lighter the full iPad could become. For casual use (which is the majority of sales in consumer mkt), iPad mini is a better size.

I really think we'd see the full iPad refresh much sooner than Oct'13, AAPL just can't afford waiting that long to get a thinner/lighter iPad out. We'll see it in July the latest, probably as sooner as March (yes March because this quarter's earning would be relatively 'horrible' without any new products)

• Reply 22 of 38
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    herbapou wrote: »

imo DITO is a layer above the panel so both can be used, but flaneur comments makes me wonder now. The mini use DITO on top of silicon LCD's, why not DITO on top of a Indium gallium zinc oxide LCD?

IGZO is a panel tech and DITO is a touch tech, unless mr Flaneur knows better I dont see why you cant used both?

No, I don't know any better, and that's a good way to look at it, touch vs. the panel material.

My only point was, there was hope that IGZO is going to be the key development this year that will make the mini retina possible and the 10-inch lighter and smaller.

Then out of the blue there is this DITO story which was true but not followed up on for the mini. But not a word from Mr. Oliver of any link or non-link between the two screen techs. And nothing but railing against DigiTimes from the commenters, no discussion of the story at all.

Maybe i'm expecting too much from this site. At least you, herbapou, come across with a good point.
  • Reply 23 of 38

Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

The MS Surface is actually a great product for the individual who is thinking "What my tablet needs is an OS that takes up half the available space."

/s

Right! :)

• Reply 24 of 38
    I do believe we're not going to see a retina iPad mini. It'd just mean a lot fewer people buying the full iPad which would hurt AAPL's profit further, no matter how much lighter the full iPad could become. For casual use (which is the majority of sales in consumer mkt), iPad mini is a better size.

I really think we'd see the full iPad refresh much sooner than Oct'13, AAPL just can't afford waiting that long to get a thinner/lighter iPad out. We'll see it in July the latest, probably as sooner as March (yes March because this quarter's earning would be relatively 'horrible' without any new products)

But . . . but, Tim said "We're not afraid of cannibalization," we welcome it because it drives people into the Mac ecosystem, or words to that effect.

So many people, including uber fans like Gruber and Arment, etc., think the mini is the real iPad, they'd be crazy not to make a higher-pixel one. So, sorry to disagree on that point.

And maybe that's part of why their guidance is low for the next quarters. Mini is low-margin, rolling out IGZO is going to be more expensive.
  • Reply 25 of 38

Quote:

Originally Posted by 65C816 View Post

an iPad 5 with the current thickness using all the components people are talking about, and all the extra space for battery, so that I can have a 20 hour battery?

I would buy it.

If you don't care about thickness and heft, an external battery pack is the solution for you. Apple should continue making the iPad(s) as light and thin as possible, because this actually is what's important and best for most people. A battery life of effectively a day is fine for almost everyone. Such a device that is effortless to hold ought to be the goal. They shouldn't stop until it weighs nothing and is as thin as a sheet of paper, without sacrificing rigidity.

• Reply 26 of 38
    Thinner & lighter than iPad 4, huh?

Well, let's hope so, anyway.

And non-overnight/all day charge times'd be nice, too.

As would a 2Q13 announcement/release date.
  • Reply 27 of 38
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    slurpy wrote: »
    Some people may mock further thickness/weight reduction, but I certainly wouldn't.

Which people?
  • Reply 28 of 38

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Which people?

Well, I'm against anorexia in the modeling industry, but I don't pay too much attention to models, as they don't realistically portray women or the clothing they wear.

Guess those are related.

• Reply 29 of 38
    conrailconrail Posts: 489member
    Isn't the idea that Apple will use a newer, thinner technology for the display in the next generation iPad sort of common sense?
  • Reply 30 of 38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conrail View Post

Isn't the idea that Apple will use a newer, thinner technology for the display in the

next generation iPad sort of common sense?

You mean like in iPad 4 ....?

• Reply 31 of 38
    herbapou wrote: »

imo DITO is a layer above the panel so both can be used, but flaneur comments makes me wonder now. The mini use DITO on top of silicon LCD's, why not DITO on top of a Indium gallium zinc oxide LCD?

IGZO is a panel tech and DITO is a touch tech, unless mr Flaneur knows better I dont see why you cant used both?

IF the only ipad 5 improvement is putting the ipad mini touch above the current LCD and change the GPU it makes me wonder WTF are they doing at Apple? That would be a very unimpressive incremental upgrade.  Where are the carbon fiber cases? Where are new panels tech?  To charge a premium you need to be cutting edge, not lagging the market.

Herb, your last new paragraph—calm down. Don't rile up the trolls any more than necessary. ;)

Anyway, here's an overview of oxide TFT panels like IGZO as the salvation of Japan's LCD industry:

http://www.printedelectronicsworld.com/articles/are-igzo-backplanes-the-answer-for-the-display-industry-00004980.asp?sessionid=1

You are right, IGZO is about the "backplane" of the panels, where the pixels are switched by TFTs (thin film transistors).

So the new screens could be both IGZO backed and DITO "top-layered"—I made that last term up.

Hey AI we're not getting paid to be doing your basic damn legwork here!

Edit: Anyway, the innovation this year is likely to be the huge advntage that IGZO would mean for Apple's portable devices. It could be that this is why Apple and Foxconn have been spending billions on Sharp—to corner this revolutionary technology. That's why we need display expertise around here, so we can start shutting up the short-attention-span trolls who are forever ragging on Apple about their imagined decline in innovation.
  • Reply 32 of 38
    Well what is new?
  • Reply 33 of 38
    The iPad mini does not have that great a resolution. Will the New iPad look bad also?
  • Reply 34 of 38
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    numba1 wrote: »
    The iPad mini does not have that great a resolution. Will the New iPad look bad also?

Will it look bad? No. Will it have the same resolution as the iPad (4) and PPI of the iPhone 5? I doubt it for the next revision.
  • Reply 35 of 38

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

If you don't care about thickness and heft, an external battery pack is the solution for you. Apple should continue making the iPad(s) as light and thin as possible, because this actually is what's important and best for most people. A battery life of effectively a day is fine for almost everyone. Such a device that is effortless to hold ought to be the goal. They shouldn't stop until it weighs nothing and is as thin as a sheet of paper, without sacrificing rigidity.

Because, of course, we all want to get paper cuts from holding our tablets ;)

• Reply 36 of 38
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member

i just want lighter and more rounded iPad Mini-like edges.  I could care less about thickness or retina.  I like my big 9.7"gen 2.  would not want to go smaller or thinner.  Retina is a luxury i could do without.  the PPI of the iPad 1&2 bothered me at first, but now i sort of forget it's not retina and am just immersed in my iPad experience. one would think...on day one the main two goals of the iPad should be 1) comfortable to hold longer than 10 minutes...so far they still need to improve the ergonomics of the iPad.  The mini is close but just not there yet.  Only thing mini has going for it is weight.  The current iPads have much too sharp edges that sort of dig into your hand after a while.  And 2) weight.  Which really is linked to #1 but the first point is more about ergonomics (how it feels in your hands) rather than mass.  These products are were developed to be used as a primary device...it's about time they start feeling like you could hold one in your hands for up to 8 hours a day.

• Reply 37 of 38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

Because, of course, we all want to get paper cuts from holding our tablets ;)

By that time, no one will remember what a paper cut was.

• Reply 38 of 38

Picard captained a Galaxy class (yes Galaxy) with a thicker tablet that could communicate with his Android (yes Android) Commander Data. Tsk, tsk with all this nonsense of thinner and more memory. In 350 years you'll be proven wrong. /s