Amazon, MacMall drop Retina pricing; Best prices anywhere on all MacBooks with new coupon

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple resellers this week continued the trend of aggressive price drops on Macs, slashing 2.3GHz 15" MacBook Pro with Retina by $200, while MacMall cut a fully loaded 2.5GHz 13.3" Retina by over $300. Meanwhile, February's new MacMall coupons for AI readers offer the lowest prices anywhere on all other MacBook Airs and MacBook Pros -- and they won't be beat, anywhere.

MacBook Pro

In a continuation of Mac price cuts instated just hours before Apple reported a 17% year-over-year decline in Mac sales earlier this month, Amazon today discounted the1.5GHz 13" MacBook Pro Retina (8GB, 128GB) by $184 to $1,515.19 and the 2.3GHz 15" MacBook Pro Retina (8GB, 256GB) by $200 to $1,999.99, yielding the best price we can find anywhere on this model.

Meanwhile, AppleInsider readers during the month of February can use the links in our price guides to activate the coupon code field on MacMall's website and apply promo code APPINSDRMWB37994 during the month of February to save an additional 3% off all other MacBook Airs and MacBook Pros.

For example, with this coupon, MacMall's Friday price cut on the 2.5GHz 13" MacBook Pro Retina (8GB,768GB) combines for a savings of $383.01 off list price. The $2,616.18 price for this model is also the lowest we've seen yet.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Title "Macall"... Caw Caw! Macall!
  • Reply 2 of 7
    mrstepmrstep Posts: 514member
    Macall? That's just Amaz'on!
  • Reply 3 of 7
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member
    I think we'll see aggressive price cuts on the rMBP line with the 2013 refresh. Apparently even Apple customers have limits. This will be the year that the rMBP becomes mainstream.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member
    $2,600 bucks... absolutely ridiculous. Why can't they just release a 13" MBP with the new slim body, but keep that retina nonsense and just use the higher res screen from the MBA's? I just want a thinner, lighter model that travels better than my 2009 MBP, but doesn't have the shallow keyboard of the Air that kills the fingers of this old typist. Is that so much to ask?
    Upgraded screens used to be an option at checkout, so why don't they just make those retina displays an option instead of default, for those of us who aren't editing movies or pictures and don't need super high resolution?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

$2,600 bucks... absolutely ridiculous. Why can't they just release a 13" MBP with the new slim body, but keep that retina nonsense and just use the higher res screen from the MBA's? I just want a thinner, lighter model that travels better than my 2009 MBP, but doesn't have the shallow keyboard of the Air that kills the fingers of this old typist. Is that so much to ask?

Upgraded screens used to be an option at checkout, so why don't they just make those retina displays an option instead of default, for those of us who aren't editing movies or pictures and don't need super high resolution?

Uh, what exactly are you asking for? A slightly modified Macbook Air? It seems thats the machine you want, since the 2012 MBA will slaughter your 2009 MBP in terms of performance,  responsiveness, battery life, weight, etc. And the MBA keyboard is one of the best keyboards on the market, I do ALL my typing on it, it's probably the best I've used. Pretty much every single review backs this up, not like thats a niche opinion. I don't find it shallow at all, in fact I can't stand the deeper keys anymore and type much slower on those keyboards. Yes, $2600 is pricey, but considering it's the bleeding edge and there's absolutely nothing else on the market like it at this point, it can be rationalized. I expect the price to drop significantly over the next yr or so. 

• Reply 6 of 7
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    cash907 wrote: »

You want a slim body but a deep keyboard? Good luck with that. One contradicts the other. I also don't remember Apple offering upgraded screens for their notebooks, other than the matte/gloss option, and the 1920*1200 screen they did on the 17". Both were exceptions to the rule, and only on higher end models.

Prices of Retina will come down like any premium computer technology, but this really only represents retailers offering discounts, not a reduction in Apple's wholesale prices.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    cash907 wrote: »
    $2,600 bucks... absolutely ridiculous.

Ridiculous? Not at all - unless you can show me where I can buy a laptop with similar weight and screen resolution for less.

If it's too much for you, don't buy one, but don't complain that you can't get Lexus quality on your Kia budget.