Apple exec John Couch meets with Turkish president over possible $4.5B iPad buy

Comments

• Reply 41 of 85

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

You do know roughly what an iPad costs, right? The figure would be pretty accurate. Case in point, worldwide in the Christmas quarter just gone, Apple sold 23 million iPads, total. This single order from Turkey would be for 15 million iPads. Why else do you think Apple's running after the order? Sounds tooooooo good to be true if you ask me, we'll see.

Yeah, especially if it is an all at once deal or broken into 2 or 3 deliveries then I think it works out to be real nice at $300/iPad (depending on what model they get of course). When you are talking those kind of dollars without all the headaches involved with selling them one at a time I suspect $300/iPad is a very reasonable markup, not to mention it is well over 60% of last quarters sales with no one else buying one (and that seems rather doubtful).

The one small negative would be what it would do to the pipeline if in fact it is an all at once deal.

FYI: How many competitors do you think have their best knee pads in their briefcase along with the airline tickets to Turkey.

• Reply 42 of 85
    Turkey is a big user of Apples WebObjects with Project Wonder. They are rolling out this app to all their students. Would make sense that they keep going with the wonder of WO and iPad.

Cheers
  • Reply 43 of 85
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    I'd have that same exact smile if I was about to make a $4.5 B sale.
  • Reply 45 of 85
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member

Quote:

Originally Posted by konqerror View Post

I think you misunderstand, Apple accidentally swapped the position of two keys on the Turkish F keyboard from where they're supposed to be. It's a bug.

This is not a bug. Apple simply screwed up.

A bug means it does not work as it is programmed to work.

• Reply 46 of 85

Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I think these figures must be wrong somehow, $4.5bn?

for 15 million iPads @ $300 each.

Probably a buttload of tech support & services also.

• Reply 47 of 85

Quote:

Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Apple will have little chance of winning this contract.

Who else is going to sell them 15 million iPads?

Turkey specifically wants iPad, not tablets.

• Reply 48 of 85

Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

All Apple wants to do is accumulate reserve cash as a safety net for when all carrier subsidies disappear.

Why does this make any sense?

• Reply 49 of 85
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

If the Turkish government are looking at buying that many iPads, the sales there can't be that high. That's why Apple don't release there with the other big purchasing countries. Someone has to be 1st to get stuff, someone has to be last. There are places that don't get them at all so stop ya whinging.

• Reply 50 of 85
    Let me clarify some things. FATIH Project, the project that has ALREADY given some tablets to some students as prototypes, is tried to be nationwide now in Turkey. Now, our government wants to change their choice with iPads. I found it very sensible as the tablets that were given were not that good. I hope this will work because I am also a high school student.

For the "second-class citizens" thing; yes, we are definitely are annoyed with the idea of waiting 2-3 months more than the other countries. Moreover, all the Apple devices are x2-x3 more expensive than the other countries (even more from KSA)! If an Apple Store will be opened in Turkey, which is something that Apple has been considering for some time now, the prices will drop incredibly and more people will be able to buy Apple products. You cannot imagine how many people are buying iPhones from the USA every time when a new generation is released.

I hope these clarified some things.
  • Reply 51 of 85

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aliy155 View Post

Let me clarify some things. FATIH Project, the project that has ALREADY given some tablets to some students as prototypes, is tried to be nationwide now in Turkey. Now, our government wants to change their choice with iPads. I found it very sensible as the tablets that were given were not that good. I hope this will work because I am also a high school student.

For the "second-class citizens" thing; yes, we are definitely are annoyed with the idea of waiting 2-3 months more than the other countries. Moreover, all the Apple devices are x2-x3 more expensive than the other countries (even more from KSA)! If an Apple Store will be opened in Turkey, which is something that Apple has been considering for some time now, the prices will drop incredibly and more people will be able to buy Apple products. You cannot imagine how many people are buying iPhones from the USA every time when a new generation is released.

I hope these clarified some things.

Can you post any links that describe the government's desire to change to iPads?

I did some surfing and it appears that there are some Android tablets already distributed as part of the Faith Project:

http://www.todayszaman.com/newsDetail_getNewsById.action?newsId=270656

http://fatihproject.com

And, it appears that Microsoft is active as well...  Though this article says that "vendor lock-in" may be a major consideration:

http://www.muktware.com/2318/turkish-fatih-project-open-source-vs-vendor-lock

• Reply 52 of 85
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

That's a couple of good articles Dick. Thanks for taking the time to do the research for us.

• Reply 53 of 85
    Apple will have little chance of winning this contract. It will go to the highest bidder and that will be Microsoft. Microsoft has never been shy about spending money and this will be an excellent project to get those ZunePads some quick market share. All Apple wants to do is accumulate reserve cash as a safety net for when all carrier subsidies disappear. Microsoft doesn't need a safety net because Windows OS and Microsoft Office will never go away. A Microsoft tablet venture will only add to sales of both.
    Apple has the best chance out of everyone seeing the the country leaders came to our headquarters in Cupertino. Who said they didn't want iPads. Seeing that Apple is the company that makes iPads, I guess they'll be going with Apple
  • Reply 54 of 85
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrAllister View Post

Apple has the best chance out of everyone seeing the the country leaders came to our headquarters in Cupertino. 

That photo is of Apple execs who just flew to Turkey to meet with President Gül.

(He did come over last Spring to Silicon Valley, where he met with Apple and Google and Microsoft and Facebook execs.)

• Reply 55 of 85

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrAllister View Post

Apple has the best chance out of everyone seeing the the country leaders came to our headquarters in Cupertino. 

That photo is of Apple execs who just flew to Turkey to meet with President Gül.

(He did come over last Spring to Silicon Valley, where he met with Apple and Google and Microsoft and Facebook execs.)

It appears that the Prime Minister of Turkey is the one who brought the Faith Project to life and promoted "open source" and Android tablets.  IDK anything about the Turkish government and the relationship between the President and the Prime Minister.

• Reply 56 of 85

I do not believe in such deals (whatever the country). Procurement people only know about cost, and do not care about any other characteristic (except size, may be (this is the only thing they can measure and understand). Edit : + keyboard layout, of course ....

• Reply 57 of 85

Quote:

Originally Posted by umrk_lab View Post

I do not believe in such deals (whatever the country). Procurement people only know about cost, and do not care about any other characteristic (except size, may be (this is the only thing they can measure and understand). Edit : + keyboard layout, of course ....

I disagree!  It depends on how the requestor defines the need...   It can be very general -- in which case  "Procurement" does its job and looks for a solution that meets the lowest cost criterion.  

However, The request can be very specific -- designating a particular make, model, support services, company track record, etc... going as far as specifying a vendor as sole source (sometimes bypassing the bid process).

For example, the Turkey requestor could specify things like:

• iPad 4 32 GB or better iOS Tablet

• iTunes U

• AirPlay to AppleTV capability

• self-contained (off-line) WP, SS and DB apps

• 48 hour repair / replacement service for 10% of the units

• Reply 58 of 85
    konqerror wrote: »
    You mean EU? Turkey has been NATO since 1952.

Please, slow down. Judging from the level of prejudice and misinformation in this discussion, you risk to burn out someone's brain with too much information.
  • Reply 59 of 85
    Turkey is a manufacturing country, so I guess they are also trying to move some Apple factory there. Labour cost is low, and Turkey is strategically positioned between Europe and Middle East, two important markets for Apple. Logistic costs could be interesting.
  • Reply 60 of 85

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I disagree!  It depends on the requestor defines the need...   It can be very general -- in which case  "Procurement" does its job and looks for a solution that meets the lowest cost criterion.  

<...>

You were the one to post a link saying :

"Turkey is one of the champions of Free software with its own GNU/Linux based operating system Pardus. Using GNU/Linux and other open source technologies helps governments and agencies cut cost and maintain control over the quality of products, something proprietary technologies such as Microsoft Windows or Apple's iOS can never give."

NB : I personnally believe this open source argument is fallacious, I am not posting this to draw the discussion on this.

There are billions of reasons for which a government may believe it is smart to use "Free Software". After all this is just software, it should be free , uh ? /s