Dell going private in $24.4B deal, aided by $2B loan from Microsoft

Comments

• Reply 41 of 73

BA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA! This is great.

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I'm surprised that no one has yet commented on the possible implications of Microsoft purchasing a large stake in Dell.

Microsoft is going to make their own computers now. I would have thought that goes without saying.

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I think we can finally let that Michael Dell quote go.

Not until it's shut down entirely, we can't. image

Originally Posted by Sector7G View Post

You can all make jokes about dell, but the truth is they are now free to take time on products, make sure they are right tested and well made, without the "investors" forcing them to always make a quick buck over the long term…

And so why is Apple able to do this and Dell hasn't ever been able to? 

…thats something apple used to have with steve jobs, because no one questioned steve jobs…

YEAH. RIGHT.

…i personally hope dell is very successful.

I hope they slip into the night without anyone noticing.

• Reply 42 of 73
    You can all make jokes about dell, but the truth is they are now free to take time on products, make sure they are right tested and well made, without the "investors" forcing them to always make a quick buck over the long term, thats something apple used to have with steve jobs, because no one questioned steve jobs, apple is now under presure to make cheap phones for china, big screen phones, being mocked for not being a volume dealer, even on the news of record results i personally hope dell is very succesful.
  • Reply 43 of 73

really liked your "yeah right" answer well thought out. i did explain why apple WAS able to do that. steve jobs

• Reply 44 of 73

"Dude(s), you're getting a Dell!"

• Reply 45 of 73

Well, well! What a strange move by Microsoft. I struggle to see what benefits MS will get from this. 

MS are a whole hamper short of a picnic recently. 'Doomed' I think is the appropriate word.

• Reply 46 of 73

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Maybe....but that prophetic quote will live on in infamy.

• Reply 47 of 73
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

Quote:

Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

I could care less about Dell, but this is a good move for them. 

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=I could care less

• Reply 48 of 73
    anonymouse wrote: »
    I'm surprised that no one has yet commented on the possible implications of Microsoft purchasing a large stake in Dell.

Well they got SOMETHING in return, but what? We know that when Microsoft invested in Apple, they cross-licensed each others patents and Microsoft agreed to continue making Office for Mac, and Apple made Internet Explorer the default browser on OS X for a few years.

What did Microsoft get from Dell?
  • Reply 49 of 73

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Quote:

I guess it pays to be careful what you say, you never know what people will remember.

Paraphrasing Chairman Eric Schmidt:  "If you don't want people remembering what you say -- perhaps you shouldn't be saying it in the  first place!"

• Reply 50 of 73

Originally Posted by Sector7G View Post

really liked your "yeah right" answer well thought out. i did explain why apple WAS able to do that. steve jobs

You're completely wrong about that. That's why I questioned you.

• Reply 51 of 73
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Apple II wrote: »
    How does this work?

Does this mean that anybody who was a shareholder as of yesterday, is no longer a shareholder today? And all of their shares have gotten bought out with a 25% premium?

They have to agree to it:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/dell-to-go-private-in-244-billion-deal-2013-02-05-10103550?link=MW_pulse

"The plan must still be approved by Dell shareholders. Sterne Agee analyst Shaw Wu speculated that approval is not guaranteed, saying, “there’s practically no premium” in the deal."
    “The big question is: Will investors approve the deal?” he told MarketWatch. “There’s a chance they won’t. There’s a possibility that shareholders might reject this deal, so we’ll have to see.”

It's not clear if they've already agreed or not, it looks like unaffiliated shareholders still have to vote on it.
  • Reply 52 of 73
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    Well said....I put Dell in that class of companies that are just trying to sell "crap" as expensively as possible to a lot of unsuspecting customers. I like companies that "best in class" is already in their DNA. If I worked for Dell, I would be ashamed of the sh*t they have been producing! :)

I don't get this rep that dell has. I've had pretty good experience with the feel products I've used:

I have their 27" display as my main monitor, and it is by far the best display I've ever used. And yes that includes apples.

We have a few of their high end optiplex workstations here at work, and while they may not be the best looking things in the office, they are well designed and well built.

Though I must confess to bring a ThinkPad fan, I must admit I've been impressed by their latitude laptops.
  • Reply 53 of 73

Quote:

Originally Posted by goofy1958 View Post

A question.  Do you have much experience with Dell consumer products?  We have an 8 year old Dell desktop, a 6 year old Dell desktop, we have 3 laptops that are 5 years old, and all are working great and have never had an issue (except when my son dropped his, but warranty fixed everything for free!).  I just don't see the "crap" part to Dell products?!??!?  I previously had an HP laptop, and it lasted all of 2 years before I was hit with multiple issues that would have cost more to fix than a new laptop!

I am considering a MacBook Pro for my next laptop though, but have to save for awhile before I can afford it.

My work Dell laptops work pretty well. Haven't had a problem, although the screen wiggles a little. But that's after 2 years. Works fine for me. However, I do love my MacBook.

I had an HP laptop, also, and it was junk. But I only paid $250 for it. It worked for the price.

• Reply 54 of 73
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    I could care less about Dell, but this is a good move for them. 

I disagree 100% with you, I couldn't care less about Dell!
  • Reply 55 of 73
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    saarek wrote: »
    Have the Brits been out in force regarding this expression before then?

I don't remember the specific people or their nationalities.

majjo wrote: »
    I don't get this rep that dell has. I've had pretty good experience with the feel products I've used:

I have their 27" display as my main monitor, and it is by far the best display I've ever used. And yes that includes apples.

We have a few of their high end optiplex workstations here at work, and while they may not be the best looking things in the office, they are well designed and well built.

Though I must confess to bring a ThinkPad fan, I must admit I've been impressed by their latitude laptops.

Dell's Ultrasharp line is generally good. That line uses IPS panels.

Workstations and business laptops are usually good from many brands. The consumer units is where you get hit or miss.

My personal experience interacting with the company was pretty poor. I was ordering a BTO Dell a year or two ago, every step of the way, it said 2 weeks. After I did the final purchase confirmation, the page said 4 weeks. And I couldn't cancel it. I'd understand if they already assembled my model, but I doubt it when there was a 4 week wait.
  • Reply 56 of 73
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    jeffdm wrote: »
    I don't remember the specific people or their nationalities.
    Dell's Ultrasharp line is generally good. That line uses IPS panels.

Workstations and business laptops are usually good from many brands. The consumer units is where you get hit or miss.

My personal experience interacting with the company was pretty poor. I was ordering a BTO Dell a year or two ago, every step of the way, it said 2 weeks. After I did the final purchase confirmation, the page said 4 weeks. And I couldn't cancel it. I'd understand if they already assembled my model, but I doubt it when there was a 4 week wait.

No idea on the overall quality, factory calibration, or value for the money but Monoprice's sub-$400 27" IPS display looks like a bargain. I've been using them for years. I even live in a state where they offer Next Day delivery for $5 which makes me look good when I have to order a lot of supplies and can have it the next day.

Even if you are planning to stay in the Apple camp for various reasons (e.g.: quality, repair convenience, extra features, appearance) the more recent push for low-cost 27" 2560x1440 display could be a sign of Apple lowering the price of their 27" ATD, and/or offering a larger and/or higher pixel density option.
  • Reply 57 of 73
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    No idea on the overall quality, factory calibration, or value for the money but Monoprice's sub-$400 27" IPS display looks like a bargain. I've been using them for years. I even live in a state where they offer Next Day delivery for $5 which makes me look good when I have to order a lot of supplies and can have it the next day.

Even if you are planning to stay in the Apple camp for various reasons (e.g.: quality, repair convenience, extra features, appearance) the more recent push for low-cost 27" 2560x1440 display could be a sign of Apple lowering the price of their 27" ATD, and/or offering a larger and/or higher pixel density option.
    Hmm... Haven't heard of the mono price 27". Is it a rebrand of one of those Korean 27"s (catleap/shimian/crossover)
  • Reply 58 of 73

SOT:

Market Cap:

$430 B AAPL 

$405 B XOM

• Reply 59 of 73
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Well they got SOMETHING in return, but what? We know that when Microsoft invested in Apple, they cross-licensed each others patents and Microsoft agreed to continue making Office for Mac, and Apple made Internet Explorer the default browser on OS X for a few years.

What did Microsoft get from Dell?

Off topic, but Microsoft didn't just decide to "invest" in Apple. Apple released Quicktime on Windows, which smoked Windows' video rendering. Apple wouldn't give Microsoft a license. So, Microsoft went out an hired the same company Apple subcontracted to create the video compression software. The problem is Microsoft didn't have the company develop the software in a clean room, and the company used Apple's code that it gave to Microsoft verbatim thereby violating Apple's copyrights (Apple owned the software the company created for it). This allowed Microsoft to undercut Quicktime by bringing a product to market a lot quicker. Apple sued Microsoft over it, and the Department of Justice was interested in the matter. Apple and Microsoft were working on a settlement, but the CEO before Jobs wanted a complicated settlement worked out. Microsoft was playing hard ball with Apple by withholding Office updates, which was hurting Apple because people thought the lack of Office would be the death of the Mac platform. When Jobs came back to Apple, he called Gates up and a settlement was worked out quick. Apple wanted a five year commitment from Microsoft to create Windows Office, which was nothing for Microsoft because it was making at least 50 million a year on Office for the Mac (even without any significant updates). Apple also got Microsoft to pay Apple an undisclosed 150 million dollars and give Apple an additional 150 million that Apple would provide Microsoft non voting stock in return. As you mention, Microsoft also got to be the default browser on the Mac, and they cross licensed some patents. 

I bring this up because the main thing Microsoft got out of the deal was for Apple to drop its lawsuit, and the Justice Department to go away. Microsoft did a similar thing to Sony. Sony paid hundreds of millions for IBM to develop the Power PC processor it was going to use in its Play Station. Microsoft then got a very similar processor from IBM for its X-Box for much less because IBM just modified the work it did for Sony. 

• Reply 60 of 73
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

I read about the Monoprice monitor. Seems like it offers a high quality screen with very little extra features for about $50 dollars more than comparable displays from the cheap korean manufacturers. The benefit is the display is being offered by an American company so if something goes wrong people have better recourse.