Apple's first beta of iOS 6.1.1 aims to strengthen Maps in Japan

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple on Wednesday released the first beta of iOS 6.1.1 with a clear focus on improving its much-criticized Maps application, specifically in regards to turn-by-turn navigation in Japan.

iOS Maps

In a note to developers accommodating the release, Apple said iOS 6.1.1 beta 1 includes the following improvements to Maps for Japan:
  • Improved pronunciation of roads during turn-by-turn navigation

• Optimized directions to more strongly prefer highways over narrower roads
  • Now indicates upcoming toll roads during turn-by-turn navigation

• Added labels for junctions, interchanges, on-ramps, off-ramps, and intersections

• Added indicators for transit station buildings, subway lines, and traffic lights

• Updated freeway color to green

• Updated icons for some location categories including fire stations, hospitals, and post offices Added 3D buildings including Tokyo Station, Japan Imperial Palace, and Tokyo Tower
The move comes as Apple is looking to strengthen its presence in Asia, where revenue has been on the double digit rise, particularly in China and Japan, which were up 67% and 25% year-over-year, respectively, during the company's most recent December quarter.

Wednesday beta of iOS 6.1.1 carries build number 10B311 and is available for the iPad 2 and greater, iPhone 3S and greater, iPod touch 4th-gen and greater, and the iPad mini.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    Ahh, the "Jailbreak Fix" update
  • Reply 2 of 29
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I might have to revise my previous statement about Apple Maps being the best app and that the server-side data is where it's lacking as I'd have thought many of those items could have been updated on the server at any time.

Post hoc, ergo propter hoc.
  • Reply 3 of 29

All data are pulled from Apple's CDN. It's extraordinarily more efficient to have static assets stored on iPhone. A handful of client releases are necessary to update hooks and things like directions, which are generated by Maps on the client-side.

• Reply 4 of 29
    Does Apple usually release betas for iOS _._.x updates? I thought they generally drop without much notice?
  • Reply 5 of 29

I don't think they patched the exploit since it is a rather quick turnaround.  However evasi0n doesn't work as it says it's an unsupported version.

• Reply 6 of 29
    Does Apple usually release betas for iOS _._.x updates? I thought they generally drop without much notice?

Yes. However tertiary updates tend to be simpler and often addressing some bug that is affecting users so the number of betas tends to be less.

edit: You said 'usually' and not 'sometimes' and since I can't recall what percentage of these point updates had betas I have to withdraw my 'yes' statement.

edit2: I have search high and low and couldn't find any articles on a developer beta of a n.n.x version. I feel like there has been but if I can't find any proof on the internet I must concede and say that it's likely my original comment is incorrect.
  • Reply 7 of 29
    DaekwanDaekwan Posts: 175member

Quote:

Originally Posted by huntercortez View Post

Yep.

• Reply 8 of 29
    Ok Japanese maps, the next update
  • Reply 9 of 29

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Yes. However tertiary updates tend to be simpler and often addressing some bug that is affecting users so the number of betas tends to be less.

edit: You said 'usually' and not 'sometimes' and since I can't recall what percentage of these point updates had betas I have to withdraw my 'yes' statement.

edit2: I have search high and low and couldn't find any articles on a developer beta of a n.n.x version. I feel like there has been but if I can't find any proof on the internet I must concede and say that it's likely my original comment is incorrect.

The only one I can think of off the top of my head was for iOS 4.2.1 to directly replace iOS 4.2 in beta which was never released to the public.

• Reply 10 of 29
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    edit2: I have search high and low and couldn't find any articles on a developer beta of a n.n.x version.

This looks like a thorough article, albeit without any developer beta version history:
    http://www.theverge.com/2011/12/13/2612736/ios-history-iphone-ipad
  • Reply 11 of 29
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    I might have to revise my previous statement about Apple Maps being the best app and that the server-side data is where it's lacking as I'd have thought many of those items could have been updated on the server at any time.

It sounds like a combination of things. I think you're right that the better data could have been fixed from the server side. OTOH, one of the things they mention is better pronunciation - which would probably require an iOS update.
  • Reply 12 of 29
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by huntercortez View Post

Exactly. I need to jailbreak soon. 

• Reply 13 of 29
    jragosta wrote: »
    It sounds like a combination of things. I think you're right that the better data could have been fixed from the server side. OTOH, one of the things they mention is better pronunciation - which would probably require an iOS update.

That's one I don't get either. I thought the names and the data that says how the name will be pronounced by the local device all came from the server. I'd think it would make more sense to have the server send the data that contains the digital phonetic print for a word's pronunciation than to store all of these on the device locally.
  • Reply 14 of 29
    Interesting--there is no such thing as a "freeway" in Japan--all high-speed auto-only roads charge tolls. Perhaps they meant highways....
  • Reply 15 of 29
    I think there's a long standing security bug in iOS and Twitter. Even after resetting your password on Twitter, on iOS apps still let you access your twitter account with the old login information and old password from the Settings app.

Try this:
    Change/reset password for Twitter on any browser.
    Then get your iPhone or iPad.
    Do Not change Twitter login information on the Settings app.
    Launch Twitter app or Tapbot app or any other app like it.
    I can still view, edit, post tweets on the Twitter app.
  • Reply 16 of 29

How do you delete your own post?

• Reply 17 of 29
    Back up shsh ASAP
  • Reply 18 of 29
    vorsosvorsos Posts: 302member

Storing as much as possible locally is what helps Maps be so responsive, especially in a fast moving vehicle where you don't have as much time to wait on slow or distant cell towers. That said, Apple is technically delivering these changes from the server... the one that installs iOS 6.1.1.

AppleInsider View Post

In a note to developers accommodating the release...

accompanying

• Reply 19 of 29
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    That's one I don't get either. I thought the names and the data that says how the name will be pronounced by the local device all came from the server. I'd think it would make more sense to have the server send the data that contains the digital phonetic print for a word's pronunciation than to store all of these on the device locally.

I don't think so. Phonemes can be stored locally and save tranmission time.
  • Reply 20 of 29
    jragosta wrote: »
    I don't think so. Phonemes can be stored locally and save tranmission time.

Is that how speech works on a computer? I have never heard of each phoneme being stored and then selected and queued up as needed. I assumed it was the word being represented as phonetic digital print and the the sound being generated on the device, not calling a individual sounds like playing a bunch of very short audio files.