Apple's 'aggressive' approach in India increases sales by 400%

Comments

• Reply 21 of 66
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    stelligent wrote: »
    I'm curious what the reasons are. On one hand, I have always perceived India as being more tech friendly. If I am not mistaken, India has been a strong market for Blackberry. OTOH, I appreciate that Apple may have established strong networks in China due to its manufacturing operations. Networking is how business is done in China, almost more so than most other regions in the world. So perhaps it is only natural for Apple to use those connections to open doors to the carriers and the government.

The manufacturing in China and call centers in India or other tech interests in a nation don't appear to me to correlate to consumer interest in sales even if it is consumer electronics. The reason China has taken off before India has many reasons but the biggest is simply their economy just happened to align with Apple's interests first.

As I stated, after China Mobile comes onboard there may not be another jump to maintain Apple's growth rate with the current product line. Apple will need another launching pad and India is looking like the next big thing to keep iPhone growth moving.
  • Reply 22 of 66

There.  I fixed it for you showing the same level of respect that AI showed the Indian Flag.  

• Reply 23 of 66

Originally Posted by professorplumb View Post

Please change the flag.  It's a desecration to the Flag and the Country.

How would you feel if AI put an Apple where the stars should be on the USA flag?

Heck, I'll do that myself. There's nothing disrespectful about it at all. I'll even post an image of a US flag based on a different Revolutionary War.

In fact, your claim could easily extend to those countries that base their flag on the United States', either because we at one time owned them or their constitutions were based on ours. 

Except that's a compliment to us, not an insult. 

Originally Posted by professorplumb View Post

There.  I fixed it for you showing the same level of respect that AI showed the Indian Flag.  

I realize you're trying to insult every human on the face of the planet, but note that this is the Hindu swastika, not the Nazi one.

Steve Jobs was a Buddhist, and he'd probably be fine with this, despite the symbol being backward for his beliefs.

Basically, to use an English phrase, "chill". 

• Reply 24 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

Yep.  Here are some numbers taken from old posts:

When it started, the iPhone was only selling about 50,000 a year in India.   Last year, that increased to about 50,000 per quarter .   Last Fall, Apple started an aggressive campaign, and now it's grown to about 180,000 a quarter.   (Between Fall and now is the "3-4 times" increase they're talking about.)

For comparison:

• China - 2,500,000 iPhones per quarter (3Q12, not sure now)

• India - .... 180,000 iPhones per quarter (was 50,000 in 3Q12)

China sales are about a dozen times India sales (they were fifty times as much last Fall), even though both nations have about 1 billion cell subscribers each, give or take a couple hundred million. 

Markets like India are why investors want a cheaper model.  Question is, will Tim Cook chase those sales?

Thanx.

Cheers

• Reply 25 of 66
    I realize you're trying to insult every human on the face of the planet, but note that this is the Hindu swastika, not the Nazi one.

Steve Jobs was a Buddhist, and he'd probably be fine with this, despite the symbol being backward for his beliefs.

Basically, to use an English phrase, "chill". 

So it's not Godwin's Law it's Shivawin's Law?
  • Reply 26 of 66
    iamnemani wrote: »
    The thing is most people who can afford it in india get it from the US through a friend or relative or during travel. Apple sells it at a significantly more price here than the exchange rate calculation. There are atleast 7 iPhones in my 50 member team here and all of them were bought in the US.  

Might be due to some import duties or other taxes, but that is the way it is. 

You mean someone bought something overseas to minimize taxes? For shame. They should have paid the higher taxes to bring the money back to their own country. How dare they get out of paying there fair share!! /s
  • Reply 27 of 66
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member

Aren't both orientations used by Hinduism? I think each has a specific meaning.

Also, The Nazis rotated their symbol 45 degrees, another reason why it's not correct for Nazism.

There. I fixed it for you showing the same level of respect that AI showed the Indian Flag.

If you think your attempt is equivalent in lacking respect, then your idea of "same" as in degree, is delusional.

Edit: Ah forget it. A troll returns for at least the third time.
  • Reply 28 of 66

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Edit: Ah forget it. A troll returns for at least the third time.

See, that's what I get for giving people the benefit of the doubt. 

I don't want to check every single person for past troll accounts! I have no problem doing that work, since I check accounts for spam IP sharing anyway, but I'd really just like the trolls to shut up and move on. 

And then you get the ones that act all indignant that their seventh account has been banned. WHAT DID YOU THINK WOULD HAPPEN?! image

• Reply 29 of 66
    I don't think they were thinking anything, just showing their single digit IQ.
  • Reply 30 of 66
    solipsismx wrote: »
    This was always coming as the next market after China. Once China Mobile comes onboard there will little to no more rapid gains that will happen outside of a new breakthrough device.

I think it's markets like China and India that a larger iPhone might be a huge hit.

Agree totally. Not to mention Macs, which have a less than 1% share in these two markets. That is the sleeper growth opportunity. As families get wealthier in these two countries, they don't want to be caught dead being seen with a PC in public.
  • Reply 31 of 66
    solipsismx wrote: »

PS: How many countries have a lower GDP than Apple's profit last year? How many countries could Apple buy with its cash?

Approximately 150 countries have GDP less than Apple's cash hoard.

But that's an unfair comparison, since you'd be comparing a 'level' variable with a 'flow' variable.
  • Reply 32 of 66
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    See, that's what I get for giving people the benefit of the doubt. 

I don't want to check every single person for past troll accounts! I have no problem doing that work, since I check accounts for spam IP sharing anyway, but I'd really just like the trolls to shut up and move on. 

And then you get the ones that act all indignant that their seventh account has been banned. WHAT DID YOU THINK WOULD HAPPEN?! :lol:

With an absurd false equivalence, two posts to the name, and a possible attempt to Godwin the thread, I thought I'd check.

My "benefit of the doubt" and "put up with crap" fuses are getting a little short.
  • Reply 33 of 66
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    stelligent wrote: »
    I really don't get the purpose of such statements. Mostly factually untrue. Devoid of wit, insight or sincerity. No intellectual content whatsoever. Makes the person posting it look like he's trying too hard. What's the point?
    Apple has almost no presence India. That is a simple fact. Go to StaCounter or NetShare and see that BADA is used more to access the mobile web than iOS. That is a fact.

So a 400% gain is not that impressive when you are starting at almost 0 share. Apple needs 1000% to 2000% gains in India if they want to compete in that market. That is also fact.
  • Reply 34 of 66
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

This was always coming as the next market after China. 

Is India's economy growing? We all know that in China there is a huge increase in the middle class and wealthy demographics, but is India comparable at all?

Africa is probably decades away from becoming a viable Apple market.

• Reply 35 of 66
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    steven n. wrote: »
    So a 400% gain is not that impressive when you are starting at almost 0 share. Apple needs 1000% to 2000% gains in India if they want to compete in that market. That is also fact.

That may be true. But when they started with 50,000 phones per quarter (200,000 per year), that's not 'almost 0'.
  • Reply 36 of 66
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    jragosta wrote: »
    Well, no. The article says that sales grew by 400%. So if they previously sold 1,000 iPhones, then the new number is 5,000.

If you're going to make a stupid joke, at least get the math right.

Read the source article. Your right from the title but the title is wrong. The increase is between 3x and 4x so the iPhone grew by between 200% and 300%

Or...

Sales were 300% to 400% of previous quarters. The key point is Apple is at very low numbers so a 4x is not that impressive. Has it been 10x or 20x, that would have been impressive.

Numbers and percents are not your string suit are they?
  • Reply 37 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Is India's economy growing? We all know that in China there is a huge increase in the middle class and wealthy demographics, but is India comparable at all?

Do you read the news?

• Reply 38 of 66
    mstone wrote: »

They've had some ups and downs with the worldwide economy collapse but overall they are growing. More importantly their middle class is growing. Remember, like China it isn't about the percentage of people who are potential Apple customers but how large that total number is.

• Reply 39 of 66
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Do you read the news?

I read about gang rapes in India. What other news are you referring to?

• Reply 40 of 66
    mstone wrote: »
    I read about gang rapes in India. What other news are you referring to?

Here is one article from the Google search I posted: http://www.livemint.com/Opinion/jOd9cKy4pQoN91iZccnUWP/Indias-growing-middle-class.html?ref=dd

There isn't any one story that took the world's news by storm. Just periodic stories about their continued growth.