Apple CEO Tim Cook now slated to speak at Tuesday's GS conference during open market

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 47

I predict he will say next to nothing interesting and it won't include anything we don't already know. But I can always hope.

• Reply 42 of 47
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    philboogie wrote: »
    Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

This website, 9to5, has got the be the winner of poor design. It is a downright insult of anyone's intelligence, for them to have you think that is a website. That web designer ought to find another profession. Skip that, ought to find A profession.

It is a mess. Almost impossible to navigate with an iPad 1. Never go there anymore, for any reason.
  • Reply 43 of 47
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    slurpy wrote: »
    What a moronic rant, absent even a shred of real fact or reason. What management screw ups? Bad PR about working conditions is Cook's fault, how? Did Apple start manufacyuring in China after Steve Jobs died? That situation was handled in the best way possible, the fact of the matter is that no other company has BETTER working conditions in China, yet noone gives a shit. The negative PR was just anti-Apple hot-air that naturally got media traction.

The iPhone was 2 months late? Oh, I had no idea they actually set a release date and then delayed it! I must have missed that one. As far as I recall, it was released exactly when they said it would, and it sold more and faster than any other iPhone in history, while having the most expansive global launch of any iPhone. Yes, the 27" iMac clearly had production issues, but that product is an exception, not a trend. The fact of the matter is that Apple is selling more product than it ever has been, and it's bumping into issues directly related to those massive numbers. 

Have they "fixed maps yet"? What the hell does that even mean? Yeah, I heard it's getting "fixed" on Wednesday. You know, Apple's gonna add a line of code to "fix" it. It's not like maps is a massive endeavor of unprecedented scale, combining data from dozens of companies which includes an ever changing database of hundreds of millions of roads, points of interest, etc or anything. Something tells me you haven't even used maps, you're simply a 2 bit Apple troll. I use maps everyday and it hasnt failed me yet. There's no "fix", it will get slightly better everyday, as any person with a shred of common sense would realize.

Stop trolling. I don't see who could have done a better job than Cook, Apple has had a ton of successes and great launches last year, and small issues have all been sensationalized because of the anti-apple click whore media.   

Why I read this site.
  • Reply 44 of 47
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Why I read this site.

Thanks, appreciate it. ;)

• Reply 45 of 47
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxiumburn View Post

I hope he does something to improve the stock price. He seems too laid back for my taste. I think Steve Jobs would've gotten out there and promoted Apple before the stock lost 200 points.!

When the **** has Steve Jobs ever went out to cheaply "promote Apple"? He hated that bullshit, you only saw him at a couple keynotes events a year. He did only a small handful of interviews during his entire time at Apple, and generally avoided the media. He played the long game, and didn't get caught up in stupid bullshit. If anything, he would have been much less cordial than Cook, telling the investors to go **** themselves. I doubt that would have driven the stock up. 

• Reply 46 of 47
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    jungmark wrote:
    Jobs wouldn't have done anything either. He would have said "F*** off, short timers. We had the most profitable year in human history and one of the most profitable quarters in human history. If you don't like it, sell."

That's a good distinction to make. "short timers" points to a certain vocal group of the investment community. Obviously Tim Cook and many Apple employees hold stock so they 'lose money' when the valuation goes down. It's not like they are entirely disconnected from it so there is an incentive for the value to stay high but they are doing better than they ever have.

When people object to them saying they aren't profit driven, it's funny because they've said this for years and nobody seemed to be complaining back when they weren't doing well. Now that they're making $13b profit, it's somehow potentially illegal to say they aren't a profit-driven company. The mentality that surrounds people buying a tiny fraction of a company stock with the hopes of profiting from its increase in value without any effort on their part with suggestions that somehow Apple has to bow to their interests is comical.

If people are truly invested in the company then they should look at the big picture. If they don't feel the company can climb higher and they're in it just to profit, they can invest in a company that still needs to reach Apple's success. What people can't do is complain at Apple for managing to reach the top before they could sell nor should they complain to Apple about how other people value their company because they have no control over that.

No suggestions that get thrown at Apple as to what they should do will improve the situation. Making cheaper/lower quality devices just lowers their margins and damages their brand as a premium product manufacturer. Sony did this and look at them now. While Apple's demand is higher than their supply capacity, they should stay the course.