Australian authorities blame Apple Maps for inaccuracies in brushfire warning app

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    The problem is, fundamentally, that Apple has unilateraly switched the back end without offering an option to keep Maps.
    I don't think they could have done otherwise, but there was a communication issue here. I believe a simple "apology" along the lines of "for business reasons, we have to change the backend, that's what's going to happen in XXX months" would have been OK. "Hey, now you're using a beta system instead of the proven Google Maps in your critical apps" was not OK.

There are two problems with your logic:

1. There's still no evidence that Apple Maps is any worse than Google Maps. There are lots of anecdotes, but there are also anecdotes that Google Maps is worse than Apple Maps. The few people who have tried to do significant comparisons have generally found that Apple Maps is at least as good.

2. In Australia, it appears that Apple Maps and Google Maps use the same source of data - so they both seem to have the same mistakes. Even if they're using different data sets, the police issued the same warning for Google Maps, so sticking with Google would not have prevented this problem.

Ultimately, it comes down to the fact that mapping is not yet perfect. There are errors in every system. My car's GPS tried to take me across Lake Ontario once. Another time, it tried to route me through California to go from Syracuse to Toronto. People need to use common sense when using a GPS system. And systems like the one discussed in this article can not expect perfection. Maybe in another 5-10 years. But it's not an Apple problem. Nor is it a Google problem. It's simply an immature market.
  • Reply 22 of 29
    jragosta wrote: »
    Another time, it tried to route me through California to go from Syracuse to Toronto.

I wanted to see what route to take if I was going to cycle to Denmark. Yes, Denmark, I'm a cyclist. But won't be relying on GoogleMaps:
  • Reply 23 of 29
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

The few people who have tried to do significant comparisons have generally found that Apple Maps is at least as good.

• Reply 24 of 29

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Do it the old fashioned way. Look for smoke you bumbling idiots.

Too much work.

How long before an entire generation of human beings exists whose eyes cannot focus on any distance further than they hold their iDevices?

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Is this a misunderstanding of his sentence or a request for source data?

• Reply 25 of 29
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    philboogie wrote: »
    I wanted to see what route to take if I was going to cycle to Denmark. Yes, Denmark, I'm a cyclist. But won't be relying on GoogleMaps:

That's not possible. Everyone knows that only Apple Maps has errors. /s
  • Reply 26 of 29
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

What were the directions given? I'm going to guess that Google gave the fastest route as biking to the nearest ferry taking you to Denmark, then continuing by bike. There may not be an error per-se. But just a guess. . .

EDIT: Yup. It wasn't a mistake at all. The route includes a ferry ride. 

Bicycling directions to Aarhus, Denmark

3Dimage

This route includes a ferry.

This route crosses through United Kingdom.

Google's beta bicycle directions don't yet allow you to customize the route and avoid the ferry by adding an intermediate stop as far as I can see. Walking directions avoid the ferry, as does auto and bus routing. I would imagine the bike directions are in fact the fastest way to get from A to B. What route did Apple maps offer you for your bicycle trip?

• Reply 27 of 29
    Bushfire*
  • Reply 28 of 29
    gatorguy wrote: »
    What route did Apple maps offer you for your bicycle trip?

I merely entered The Hague and Skanerborg. I hit enter. It displays the (highway) route. I see I didn't choose bicycle so I tapped that. Google displays above screendump. I'm left in awe.
  • Reply 29 of 29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

What route did Apple maps offer you for your bicycle trip?

He also neglected to inform us whether he had requested a Trip-Tic from AAA HQ in Washington DC.

Cheers