Apple reportedly has 100-person team working on unannounced smartwatch

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 89

It won't be OLED that's for sure. Apple doesn't like OLED. OLED is awful.

• Reply 82 of 89

If there is a way to use bone conduction through the wrist then only you will hear the other caller but I don't know if the wrist is a good enough conductor since it's far away from the ear canal.  Perhaps it would have to work like the Dick Tracy watch.

• Reply 83 of 89
    mocseg wrote: »
    It won't be OLED that's for sure. Apple doesn't like OLED. OLED is awful.

Indeed! Apple doesn't like 7" tablets either and will never release one. Apple doesn't believe in video on the iPod and will never add it.
  • Reply 84 of 89
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Indeed! Apple doesn't like 7" tablets either and will never release one. Apple doesn't believe in video on the iPod and will never add it.

Where has Apple or anyone at Apple ever said any of that? Steve said that the current lot at 7" tablets were DOA and stated the wasn't convinced people want to watch movies on a tiny little [iPod] screen. He was right about the then current lot of 7" tablets, the iPad mini is an 8" tablet if we are going to do any reasonable rounding to a whole number, and later said that he became convinced that people did want that feature on the iPod, but not once did he ever they will never add it.
  • Reply 85 of 89

Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

Indeed!

Do you honestly think that these are comparable items? It's only a question because I give people the benefit of the doubt, even when I absolutely know this is the crap they believe.

OLED is to Apple as Flash and Blu-ray are to Apple. They didn't adopt it early, they've never liked it mid-stream, and I don't see them ever adopting it at all.

Screw OLED. I'd prefer Apple continue to ignore OLED and jump to QD displays. Revolutionize those. CREATE the market for them, as they have with so very many other technologies. And then everyone else in the industry mooches off of the investment Apple makes. Again. 

Pros

1. Color range: Nanocrystal displays should be able to yield a greater portion of the visible spectrum than current technologies. As shown in the diagram, QD Vision calculates as much as 30% more of the visible spectrum would be available using QDs in a QD-LED vs. a CRT TV.

2. Low power consumption: QD Vision estimates its nanocrystal displays could use 30 to 50% less electrical power than an LCD, in large part because nanocrystal displays don't need a backlight.

3. Brightness: 50~100 times brighter than CRT and LCD displays ~40,000 cd/m2

4. Added flexibility: QDs are soluble in both aqueous and non-aqueous solvents, which provides for printable and flexible displays of all sizes, including large area TVs

5. Improved lifetime: QDs are inorganic, which can give the potential for improved lifetimes when compared to alternative OLED technologies. However, since many parts of QD-LED are made of organic materials, further development is required to improve the functional lifetime.

Underlining for main points.

• Reply 86 of 89
    My concern is that at some point Apple is going to overextend itself into too many products and stop making each of them spectacular. Tim Cook's big challenge is to extend the reach into more and more gadgets, while keeping true to Apple's commitment to insanely great products. Wall Street demands growth at all costs, even if it kills the company.
  • Reply 87 of 89
    Made possible with graphene, the new wondermaterial, it would use all transparent electronics (flexible ZnO nanowire or QD-LED displays, graphene touchscreens, transparent memory, graphene FET transistors, flexible supercapacitor batteries, and transparent piezoelectric microphones-loudspeakers or thermoacoustic graphene loudspeakers). And I know each of these have already be developed and demonstrated in the lab and the patents are rolling out already. I wish I was on that team, just saying, as having a stylish prototype that could roll up around one's wrist and lay flat on the table would be nice to showcase. 8-) And, who knows, it could lay flat by a press of a button or by verbal command made possible by EAPs (Electroactive polymers, think plastic muscles) or use shape memory polymers that would allow physical bending into shape. The device would be 100% waterproof when used with wireless power and data transmission and by using flexible graphene based supercapacitor arrays, it would charge completely in just a few seconds and last 3-4x longer than current Li-ion batteries. So it would be a stylish smartmatch one minute and then be able to lay flat or even unfold into a tablet. Nokia and Samsung are working on these as well, no doubt we will see these sold sometime over the next several years.

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/35976/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
    graphene, the next revolution
  • Reply 88 of 89

That's great to a smart watch which really shows more than the time.

• Reply 89 of 89
    Originally Posted by jonrf View Post

graphene, the next revolution

Nope. Stanene.

Graphene is already old hat. Not just old hat, archaic hat. Anthropological hat.

Stanene is a ROOM TEMPERATURE SUPERCONDUCTOR. There’s your revolution. Who cares about the strongest building material in the world when we can pass electricity at 212 degrees at 100% efficiency?! Every single copper wire on the planet will be torn down. It doesn’t matter what the cost will be; 10 trillion dollars to do just that (never mind produce the stanene) would be peanuts compared to the savings.