Deja vu: Apple buyout rumors resurface, juicing shares of luxury TV-maker Loewe by 40%

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Thanks, I'm leaning towards LED...LG, Sharp maybe even a Sony. :)

I have both in my house, and I can't stand watching the LED for more than an hour. Everything looks fake, like Yo Gabba Gabba. Just do some research. Everything about plasmas has changed.

http://hdguru.com/hd-guru-top-picks-ces-2013-part-2/9833/#more-9833
  • Reply 22 of 25
    Loewe seems to make it all. TV, apps, speakers, etc.

I don't think Apple needs the designs, but perhaps there is some patents they would like to own. Perhaps manufacturing?
  • Reply 23 of 25

Quote:

Originally Posted by malax View Post

Are you saying that this is the case with Apple and Loewe?

I have absolutely no idea about Loewe's strengths and weaknesses -- do you?

I was making a general statement about what smart acquirers do. Apple is one of the smartest, most frugal companies around, and they are quite likely to know what the attractive characteristics of a target company are, what they're looking at to gain synergies, what they're paying.

• Reply 24 of 25

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Stupid rumor, though I love rumor sites. How's that for an oxymoron?

Well, that isn't an oxymoron at all. So, in that sense, it's not so good.  :-)

• Reply 25 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Creating synergies -- when you know what you're doing, as an acquirer -- is all about buying companies with the kind of weaknesses that you point out, since it makes them cheaper than they otherwise would be.

This is especially true of brand-name, high-quality products that are underperforming; even more so if they have IP. You would expect Apple to bring its own technology, market presence, and design chops to build on what the target company has.

Look at it this way; Apple was re-inventing a smart phone -- there wasn't one out there like it (until of course Samsung saw it on their assembly line). But also consider that Apple spent a few years and billions to develop what they needed.

In the case of the TV -- they might not be re-inventing the display part. So what they need is someone who can create the aesthetics and has distribution and manufacturing channels already carved out. We're talking maybe $25 Million here. Apple is now a large company and it would probably cost them more than that to hire and develop any sort of TV in house.

The rumor might be unfounded -- but I don't think it's a dumb acquisition. It's not like they are spending Billions on an app that does color transformations of your photos.