Rumor: Apple's 4.8-inch iPhone 6 won't launch till June 2014 due to screen yield issues

Comments

• Reply 41 of 67
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Marvin wrote: »
    What marketshare losses would these be? They sold more phones this year than last year and it looks as though the iPhone 5 outsold the Galaxy S3 and Note combined. We know Android overall is growing faster but it's certainly not causing any growth loss to Apple.

If the losses are so dramatic, they can't afford to delay a 4.8" phone until next year (lest they be doomed). I wonder what excuse they'll go with next year when it doesn't show up:

- Apple tests multiple screen sizes so we just report what we see
    - Large screen yield still hasn't been sorted out so expect it in 2015
    - It was all lies to sway the investment community

It doesn't matter. The analysts are never held accountable for their predictions. They can be wrong 100 times in a row and the media still hangs on every word.

Next year? They'll do the same thing as they did in this thread - and have been doing for years. Make a prediction, but also give a reason why it might not come true. Then, no matter what happens, you can claim to be right.

Meanwhile, AAPL is down another couple of bucks today.
  • Reply 42 of 67
    I doubt these analysts can really have any idea of what Apples supply chain road map is for 3 months into future, never mind 18 months. Pure stock manipulation right here.
  • Reply 43 of 67

This story smells like a honeywagon.

• Reply 44 of 67
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    jragosta wrote:
    It doesn't matter. The analysts are never held accountable for their predictions. They can be wrong 100 times in a row and the media still hangs on every word.

Next year? They'll do the same thing as they did in this thread - and have been doing for years. Make a prediction, but also give a reason why it might not come true. Then, no matter what happens, you can claim to be right.

Meanwhile, AAPL is down another couple of bucks today.

It's odd that they are making up stories to drive the price down too. I can understand why they'd make up stories to suggest that Apple has growth opportunities to get the price up but saying their performance is disappointing and that they have increased pressure from the likes of Samsung just lowers people's confidence in it. They must be trying to get it down low enough to create a buying opportunity.
  • Reply 45 of 67
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Marvin wrote: »
    It's odd that they are making up stories to drive the price down too. I can understand why they'd make up stories to suggest that Apple has growth opportunities to get the price up but saying their performance is disappointing and that they have increased pressure from the likes of Samsung just lowers people's confidence in it. They must be trying to get it down low enough to create a buying opportunity.

Two reasons:

1. As you suggested, they may be trying to drive it down to create a buying opportunity.

2. These large organizations often trade options pretty heavily. Some types of options are more valuable to them if Apple stock falls.
  • Reply 46 of 67
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    herbapou wrote: »
    Apple need to do a lot more than just doing a 5s in OCT.  I mean for the stock, because as a company Apple will still be here even if they shrink and lose market shares by the truck load.  My 4s contract expires in OCT, would love to stay with Apple but aint gonna happen if the only model they have is the 5s.

We get it, Herb, you can handle bad taste for the sake of a bigger screen. If you're so worried about the damn stock, wait until your contract is up, buy your Samsung if there's nothing about the 5S to your liking, and don't shout about it from the rooftops. You can't threaten Apple to do a bigger display by spreading a rebellion among the screensize nerds. But you can help to spread stock market insanity.
  • Reply 47 of 67
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

As mere consumers all we can do is play the wait and see game. So many contradictory rumors that change from week to week. I think just using logic and history as a guide is usually a far more accurate guide than listening to analysts who seem to want to inflate or deflate the stock.

If Apple were planning to release a larger 4.8" phone there is plenty of time to work out the design and address any yield issues. Other companies have managed to make large dispalts with super high PPI and there is no reason to think Apple and their partners would be stumped by a problem others have already solved. Knowing Apple you can also bet that if this phone is for real they have been working on it for a good long while.

Rumors in February rarely amount to a hill of beans. By mid to late summer the veracity of the rumors will be far more believable since that will be closer to the actual release date and might be accompanied by actual photos and other supporting proof. Apple is aware that there is a huge pent up demand for a larger screened iPhone despite good sales figures of the iPhone 5. 

• Reply 48 of 67
    timbittimbit Posts: 331member
    When did this speculation become fact? This article sounds like its stating a sure fire fact that Apple is making 4.8in screen phones in the future when we don't even know!

I guess we will see. I love the 3.5 inch screen (iPhone 4) and I also like the 4inch screen.
  • Reply 49 of 67
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

Quote:

Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

I'll believe it when i see it.....that would be one large iPhone....

"iPad nano"

• Reply 50 of 67

Quote:

Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

I'll believe it when i see it.....that would be one large iPhone....

Not if they get rid of the home button. In that case it would fit the exiting casing.

• Reply 51 of 67
    geekdad wrote: »
    Nice....i actually had the S3 for a while...returned it for an iPhone 5. I loved the size of the S3 but not that it didn't run IOS......But i still stick to my observation...I'll believe it when i see it! :-)

I agree with you about the screen size of the GS3. My father in law has one and although the screen size is nice, I found the OS lacking in smoothness. Not sure which version he was running ICS or JB, but things were lagging and the apps he was showing me crashed a few times in his demo. Could just be the apps responsible for the crash, so I didn't hold that against the OS. Maybe the international version of the GS3 works better?
  • Reply 52 of 67
    flaneur wrote: »
    We get it, Herb, you can handle bad taste for the sake of a bigger screen. If you're so worried about the damn stock, wait until your contract is up, buy your Samsung if there's nothing about the 5S to your liking, and don't shout about it from the rooftops. You can't threaten Apple to do a bigger display by spreading a rebellion among the screensize nerds. But you can help to spread stock market insanity.

I know right? At least he didn't lead with "I have been an Apple fan since 19xx and ever since Jobs died...".
  • Reply 53 of 67
    Or the fact of the 5S is not out yet.
  • Reply 54 of 67

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

As mere consumers all we can do is play the wait and see game. So many contradictory rumors that change from week to week. I think just using logic and history as a guide is usually a far more accurate guide than listening to analysts who seem to want to inflate or deflate the stock.

If Apple were planning to release a larger 4.8" phone there is plenty of time to work out the design and address any yield issues. Other companies have managed to make large dispalts with super high PPI and there is no reason to think Apple and their partners would be stumped by a problem others have already solved. Knowing Apple you can also bet that if this phone is for real they have been working on it for a good long while.

Rumors in February rarely amount to a hill of beans. By mid to late summer the veracity of the rumors will be far more believable since that will be closer to the actual release date and might be accompanied by actual photos and other supporting proof. Apple is aware that there is a huge pent up demand for a larger screened iPhone despite good sales figures of the iPhone 5. 

For me, this is a non story.

If Samesung can product the S3, Apple could p*ss a bigger screen.

All the blah, blah this and that re: iPad Mini?  And it came.  Apple style.

If Apple want to do a bigger iPhone.  They will.  They did already.  The iPhone 5.

I liked the 3.5 iPhone.  Gave it to my Mum.  I kind of miss it.  Great design.

iPhone 5?  Surreal thin and weight.  Blisteringly fast.

it's a jewel, the S3 is a chav piece of bloated, fat and derivative design.  What were they before the iPhone?  *shrugs.  And they run the crap Android.  They don't even make their own OS.  The screen is over saturated and the white is dull.  The interface 'bitty' and clunky.  'Back to the 80s wit teh 'brick' in yer hand.

If there is a 'big' iPhone to be done?  Apple will do it....take longer but do it right.

As soon as they unveil their 'ipod' device for every 'market' strategy to iPhone, it's all over for Android. 

I think they could have rolled this strategy out sooner.

But we need more choice from the iPhone brand.  For different consumers.  One size doesn't fit all.  Give it time.  I think it will come.

Lemon Bon Bon.

• Reply 55 of 67
    The headline should read "Investors who have no business creating fictional product roadmaps for Apple, making promises about future Apple products that they have no business making except to manipulate AAPL for short term gain, given a voice on AppleInsider, who will milk this rumor for all it's worth." Or something like it.
  • Reply 56 of 67
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member

Quote:

Originally Posted by iSteelers View Post

I agree with you about the screen size of the GS3. My father in law has one and although the screen size is nice, I found the OS lacking in smoothness. Not sure which version he was running ICS or JB, but things were lagging and the apps he was showing me crashed a few times in his demo. Could just be the apps responsible for the crash, so I didn't hold that against the OS. Maybe the international version of the GS3 works better

I wonder why Apple can't release 2 sizes of iPhone...they are already selling the 4S and the larger iPhone 5. Why not release a larger iPhone 6 and still keep the IP5 around? they have differnt sizes of iMacs...Macbook Pros, Macbook Airs...iPads. and so on....

• Reply 57 of 67
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    geekdad wrote: »
    I wonder why Apple can't release 2 sizes of iPhone...they are already selling the 4S and the larger iPhone 5. Why not release a larger iPhone 6 and still keep the IP5 around? they have differnt sizes of iMacs...Macbook Pros, Macbook Airs...iPads. and so on....

As you note immediately after your initial comment, they do already offer two display sizes in their iPhone line up. Same with their iPads.

Your next comment comparing it to Macs doesn't work. OS X is a windowed OS. It's designed to scale to various display sizes. iOS simply doesn't have that freedom. You either A) have to rewrite the OS and apps to take advantage of a different resolution or aspect ratio, or B) scale the display in such a way that it only affects the size and not the aspect ratio or resolution.

While you can buy a Mac with an 11" to a 27" display and have any size and shape you want there are much stricter limitations with iOS. Have you seen iPhone apps on an iPad? It's awful. Everything is way too big in 2x mode. Would a nearly 5" iPhone also be too big that the UI no longer fits and the UX suffers for it? I think it would be okay to use a 264 PPI 1136x640 display for a 4.9404" iPhone but the only way to know for sure is to create working models and test them. I have no doubt that Apple has done this long ago.
  • Reply 58 of 67
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

As you note immediately after your initial comment, they do already offer two display sizes in their iPhone line up. Same with their iPads.

Your next comment comparing it to Macs doesn't work. OS X is a windowed OS. It's designed to scale to various display sizes. iOS simply doesn't have that freedom. You either A) have to rewrite the OS and apps to take advantage of a different resolution or aspect ratio, or B) scale the display in such a way that it only affects the size and not the aspect ratio or resolution.

While you can buy a Mac with an 11" to a 27" display and have any size and shape you want there are much stricter limitations with iOS. Have you seen iPhone apps on an iPad? It's awful. Everything is way too big in 2x mode. Would a nearly 5" iPhone also be too big that the UI no longer fits and the UX suffers for it? I think it would be okay to use a 264 PPI 1136x640 display for a 4.9404" iPhone but the only way to know for sure is to create working models and test them. I have no doubt that Apple has done this long ago.

Thanks for the explanation. That makes sense about the screen sizes on the IOS devices and OSX being able to scale more efficiently.

• Reply 59 of 67

So Apple have no issues making a 3.5", 4", 7.9" and a 9.7" screen but are having issues with something in between.

Uh huh! Yeah right.

• Reply 60 of 67

This actually would benefit Apple. Hm.