Samsung's Tizen mobile OS could signal new competition for Apple's iOS, Google's Android

12467

Comments

  • Reply 61 of 129
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 12,980member
    Yes. Rectangles didn't exist before Apple.

    And neither did icons I guess.
  • Reply 62 of 129
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 20,748member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post


     


    I think that comes from the "Let's attack Apple on every front and in every market with all the resources at our disposal" plan Google's been playing lately.  


     


    Of course it doesn't really matter if they are "out to destroy" per se anyway because Apple and Google would still be in a "fight" no matter who is attacking who and it's pretty clear which one of the combatants is pure evil and which one is not.  So if you see Satan walking down the street, does it really matter if he actually attacks you?  


     


    Satan is still satan.  



    You really think Google is attacking Apple? I've never seen any mainstream article anywhere that claims Google showing any ill-will towards Apple. Ever. The Chrome browser, ChromeOS, Android, Google Docs, GMail were all targeting Microsoft and their services, not Apple. Google social products are intended to blunt Facebook, not Apple. Google was never out to start a dispute with them IMO.


     


    Believe it or not everything isn't about Apple all the time. Any ill-will is floating towards Google, not out.

  • Reply 63 of 129
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
    Every phone operating system is now dependent on google in some way. Google maps. YouTube. Google calendar. Google search. No phone system can be successful without them. Samsung like Apple can reduce its dependence on Google but not eliminate it.

    (on the other hand tangentially no system is
    Dependent on Microsoft. Running office on your gizmo does not seem to matter to ppl)
  • Reply 64 of 129
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    And neither did icons I guess.

    They are called iCons, no?
  • Reply 65 of 129
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 12,980member
    Given the quality of Samsung's TV -- a business they've been in for a very long time -- 'software' which is clunky, unintuitive, and slow, Ive is unlikely to be losing much sleep over this.

    Maybe because software for a TV isn't all that important. It's going to get used a whole lot less than one on a handheld device.
  • Reply 66 of 129
    I mean, independent of the OS' functionality - why - WHY - do the graphics (icons, fonts, background) always have to looks so... so... Aaarrrrgh?!
    Be it windows, android, tizen whatever. The only really aestetically pleasing well crafted images always come from the fruit company.
  • Reply 67 of 129
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post



    For the doubters, Tizen can take off just as fast as Android did. Most of these people have NO loyalty to an operating system. They just want a phone that works. If sales people start pushing Tizen, then it will sell. Samsung spends tons of money for sales commissions, how do you think their devices sell in the first place? There's nothing special about them over any other Android phone.


    Yeah but try telling that to a developer. If I were a small time developer, I would not want have to develop for five different operating systems, and have to purchase dozens of phones/tablets just to make sure the software was compatible. It would drive the price of the software up considerably, not to mention the headache I would have to take on.

  • Reply 68 of 129
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Because they need someone to point their f'kng finger to and say "That's the bad guy"

    One shouldn't f&uck and point with the same finger.
  • Reply 69 of 129
    feynman wrote: »
    Yeah but try telling that to a developer. If I were a small time developer, I would not want have to develop for five different operating systems, and have to purchase dozens of phones/tablets just to make sure the software was compatible. It would drive the price of the software up considerably, not to mention the headache I would have to take on.

    Valid point. Even large developers wouldn't go this.
  • Reply 70 of 129
    512ke wrote: »
    Every phone operating system is now dependent on google in some way. Google maps. YouTube. Google calendar. Google search. No phone system can be successful without them. Samsung like Apple can reduce its dependence on Google but not eliminate it.

    (on the other hand tangentially no system is
    Dependent on Microsoft. Running office on your gizmo does not seem to matter to ppl)

    If no one is dependent on MS, why are they collecting such handsome licensing fees?
  • Reply 71 of 129

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by KDarling View Post


    ...Remember when Microsoft tried something different... a honeycomb grid in Windows Mobile 6.5?  *shudder*   It was hard to look at it, even though it gave more finger-tap space.  I think it taught everyone to avoid unusual layouts :)


     




     


    On the other hand, bees loved it.

  • Reply 72 of 129
    sipsip Posts: 210member

    Quote:


    Together, iOS and Android account for more than nine out of ten smartphone shipments, according to the most recent market research figures.



    The only company which gives out actual sales numbers is Apple -- every other vendor quotes numbers for devices shipped. Shipped does not mean sold. Every analist on the planet is only guessing at the numbers on non-iOS devices in people's hands/pockets.


     


    The other thing is that Android and iOS are well embedded into people's lives -- every other mobile-OS is playing catch-up. Android is very much a copy of iOS and because the devices are cheap or free, they have gained a foothold in this sector -- ask people to choose between iDevice & Android and pay the full price, most would choose the quality and OS of iPhone/iPad over Android.


     


    There are already too many different mobile-OSes and a new one is unlikely to make a dent, especially if Samsung continues to make Android devices -- cannibalising its own Tizer OS.

  • Reply 73 of 129
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 12,980member
    One shouldn't f&uck and point with the same finger.

    Could be they only have one finger.
  • Reply 74 of 129
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Could be they only have one finger.

    Oh, I could so work with that but am too classy.
  • Reply 75 of 129
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 12,980member
    Oh, I could so work with that but am too classy.

    Have at it.
  • Reply 76 of 129
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sip View Post


    The only company which gives out actual sales numbers is Apple -- every other vendor quotes numbers for devices shipped. Shipped does not mean sold. Every analist on the planet is only guessing at the numbers on non-iOS devices in people's hands/pockets.


     


    The other thing is that Android and iOS are well embedded into people's lives -- every other mobile-OS is playing catch-up. Android is very much a copy of iOS and because the devices are cheap or free, they have gained a foothold in this sector -- ask people to choose between iDevice & Android and pay the full price, most would choose the quality and OS of iPhone/iPad over Android.


     


    There are already too many different mobile-OSes and a new one is unlikely to make a dent, especially if Samsung continues to make Android devices -- cannibalising its own Tizer OS.



    Gartner has mobile phone sale numbers here:


    http://www.gartner.com/newsroom/id/2335616

  • Reply 77 of 129
    I mean, independent of the OS' functionality - why - WHY - do the graphics (icons, fonts, background) always have to looks so... so... Aaarrrrgh?!
    Be it windows, android, tizen whatever. The only really aestetically pleasing well crafted images always come from the fruit company.

    Interesting that you seem to fail to grasp the bias in your comment.
  • Reply 78 of 129
    Interesting that you seem to fail to grasp the bias in your comment.

    Bias? I really came down to realizing that one of the reasons I prefer Mac/iOS is for the design of icons and the overall GUI. Exceptions granted such as calendar, contacts, passbook shredder and quite some inconsistencies. However, until now I have never come across another GUI where I felt "this looks great".
    And I put functionality aside because I have not tried tizen. Or even android.
  • Reply 79 of 129
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    rogifan wrote: »
    So what would make someone want to use Tizen over Android?  What's the advantage?

    Not having all of your personal information sent to Google.
    gatorguy wrote: »
    As long as Google is the default search engine I'm not sure it would matter all that much financially. Difficult to say.

    Except for one thing. Android is already suffering with developers due to the fact that they make no where near as much money on Android as on iOS. If Android loses some of its share, it weakens the argument for using Android even further.
    gazoobee wrote: »
    This is fantastic news! :)

    A stupider move they couldn't make.  This is almost guaranteed to kill sales of Galaxy smartphones when almost nothing else seems to have done the trick.  

    Samsung is removing themselves from the market by falling on their own sword out of sheer hubris.  
    A more fitting finale could not be written to this saga.  

    Classic. 

    You're assuming that Tizen will replace Android. Rather, I expect that the Galaxy phones will continue to run Android and Tizen will be entry-level and/or low end phones. I could see how the ability to offer an extra choice might help.
    gatorguy wrote: »
    You really think Google is attacking Apple? I've never seen any mainstream article anywhere that claims Google showing any ill-will towards Apple. Ever. The Chrome browser, ChromeOS, Android, Google Docs, GMail were all targeting Microsoft and their services, not Apple. Google social products are intended to blunt Facebook, not Apple. Google was never out to start a dispute with them IMO.

    That is, like most of your posts, pure, unadulterated, Google shill garbage.

    Android. Say it again. Android. Android was clearly targeted at Apple, not Microsoft.

    geekdad wrote: »
    Gartner has mobile phone sale numbers here:
    http://www.gartner.com/newsroom/id/2335616

    No, they don't. They have their own ESTIMATES of sales figures. The only time they've been validated was in the Apple trial when it appeared that the estimated numbers for Samsung were far too high.
  • Reply 80 of 129


    If Samsung introduces Tizen at next year's CES, I'm sure it will receive the same thunderous welcome WebOS got. image

Sign In or Register to comment.