Microsoft: 'No Plan B' as Surface struggles against iPad

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 83
    You mean to tell me those breakdance commercials are for a TABLET??? I thought it was showing off dance moves...
  • Reply 82 of 83
    axualaxual Posts: 244member
    MS has lost the tablet market. Though Surface has some nice features, hey are so far behind that I don't know how they expect to catch up.

If you look at Zune and the Windows Phone, and now Surface, there is a pattern ... and that pattern is that they failed to produce something that people didn't think they needed.

This is the brilliance of Apple product design and marketing that has buried Microsoft.

And it's going to happen again ... predicting the Apple iWatch rumored is real and will blow away Spot (Microsoft's poorly timed and goofy watch), and Apple TV which has been lingering in the background, but Apple will deliver on this as well, and once again, MS will find itself wandering around wondering what happened.

MS needs to be broken up by MS and they need to start acting like a startup in some cases. I would also replace Ballmer at this point.
  • Reply 83 of 83
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"It's less 'Plan B' than how you execute on the current plan," Klein said

Microsoft "Plan B" in the post-PC era is falling back on the PC era.

That's what he means by "execute on the current plan."

And what is Microsoft's real, actual, current plan?

I think they're just going through the motions, secretly hoping their post-PC devices totally fail.

Here's their strategy (IMHO):

Step 1: Release some half-assed post-PC devices (Windows Phone, Surface.)

Step 2: See how those half-assed post-PC devices do in the open market.

Step 3A: If any or all of the half-assed post-PC devices do well, watch them cannibalize legacy Windows revenue.

Step 3B: If the half-assed post-PC devices fail completely, watch iOS devices cannibalize legacy Windows revenue.

Step 4: Hype Xbox as if it were generating enough revenue to sustain the company.

Microsoft is just trying to ride out the post-PC era, lamely imitating successful post-PC companies' software and hardware.

While continuing to milk legacy Windows corporate IT customers.

While retreating to their core competency: selling legacy Windows + Office to businesses.

There's no "Plan B" for Microsoft in the post-PC era.  And "Plan A" is another way of saying "Same thing.  Different era."