Claims of Apple employees being tasked with "fake" projects debunked in new, extensive report

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Gosh, I'm trying to think… I'll look it up. Been so many claims over the years of products that never existed.

EDIT: Oh, well, here's proof. Not an individual product, but…

Thanks TS. Like you said not exactly a fake product, but still indicates Apple isn't above floating an inaccurate statement to guage feedback or whatever. 

• Reply 22 of 32
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    I saw you mentioned that earlier, but so far I haven't been able to find any verification from Apple that the project was a fake. Where did you see that it was a "plant" to snag ThinkSecret?

EDIT: I see AI had an article on "Asteroid" back in 2005. Nothing in it or the comments indicates it was a fake.
    http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/51724/apple-confirms-asteroid-project-with-garageband-distribution

Maybe not proof, but this covers the story in retrospective:
    http://lowendmac.com/rumormill/06/0609.html
  • Reply 23 of 32
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member

Usually deceptive people do not admit "I am right now deceiving you."  Instead, they claim that they are not being deceptive.  That is actually a necessary part of the deception.

• Reply 24 of 32
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Maybe not proof, but this covers the story in retrospective:

http://lowendmac.com/rumormill/06/0609.html

Thanks for the link Jeff. 

• Reply 25 of 32
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Thanks for the link Jeff. 

Wow...reading this thread was eye opening...I did not think Apple would go to that extent to sort out leaks like that. I always wondered what happened to Think Secret!

• Reply 26 of 32

There is so much doubletalk ... who am I supposed to believe?

Maybe the whole company is fake. Am I going to wake up tomorrow to the real world where only rotary phones exist?

• Reply 27 of 32
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    bwik wrote: »
    Usually deceptive people do not admit "I am right now deceiving you."  Instead, they claim that they are not being deceptive.  That is actually a necessary part of the deception.

True, but that assumes this discussion isn't about the acknowledgement/admission couldn't come later, long after the deception has done its job.
  • Reply 28 of 32
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    bwik wrote: »

Everything I ever write is a lie, including this statement..
  • Reply 29 of 32
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

I don't believe most of this stuff especially from people who don't have insider information like Adam Lashinsky.  Leander Kahney has a new book on Jony Ive coming out later this year and he was able to get interviews with current and former Apple employees.  Two interesting things he noted was conflicting information and many suggesting the stories around products were BS and more marketing than anything else.  Definitely gave the iimpression that the notion all products were dreamed up by Steve was absolutely not true.  Kahney made a point of saying Walter Isaacson's book was from Steve's point of view (and therefore is biased).  Should be an interesting read.  And probably more inside information than we've got in the past.

• Reply 30 of 32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Napoleon_PhoneApart View Post

I get a kick out of the conspiracy theoryitis that affects so many people. 

That's one reason to hang around these forums...

• Reply 31 of 32
    sensisensi Posts: 346member
    So they are not on fake projects but rather on chimerical/highly prospective projects, that's fine with me. Now all those intrusive security claims in the US sound rather hypocritical when in the end the "leaks" are publicly made by Foxconn CEO.
  • Reply 32 of 32

"Fake, fake, fake, fake." —Elaine Benes