Apple's iPhone 5 and Samsung's Galaxy S III now equals in North American web use, study says

Comments

• Reply 41 of 84
    Do not believe me if you want to but Samsung Galaxy S III has caught up with iPhone 5 BECAUSE OF HER BIGGER SIZE.
  • Reply 42 of 84
    samirsshah wrote: »
    Do not believe me if you want to but Samsung Galaxy S III has caught up with iPhone 5 BECAUSE OF HER BIGGER SIZE.

In no way can you draw that single conclusion based on the evidence. If it's only about the size then you have to wonder why larger phones didn't match any iPhone model in usage prior to the S III.

I see what you are trying to do but you're not seeing is how you're marginalizing the actual achievements Samsung has made with developing, making and marketing the S III in the US.
  • Reply 43 of 84
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Honestly, I think this is extremely impressive considering the following:

1. The S3 has had a 5 month headstart on the iPhone 5, and has been on the market more than twice as long

2. The iPhone 5 has been supply limited for a long time after release

3. The S3 marketing completely dwarfs than of the iPhone. Every single mall/store I go into has multiple, massive banners advertising the device. Carrier booths ALL have the device featured as their flagship product in a special section. Incessant TV ads, radio ads (I hear multiple every day), carriers pushing it down the throat of every customer. By comparison, I've barely seen any iPhone 5 ads, and the instore marketing is near non-existant. 

4. The S3 looks way more "flashy" on the surface and desirable to most people, with a much bigger screen. 

Even with all this, the iPhone 5 is beating out the S3. 

• Reply 44 of 84
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by samirsshah View Post

How the hell do you "catch up" to something if you release first. The S3 came out in June. The iPhone 5 in October. Yet the iPhone 5 has sold more. 

Also, howcome most of the barely legible, trollish, brain-dead posts are coming from new registrants?

• Reply 45 of 84
    slurpy wrote: »
    Honestly, I think this is extremely impressive considering the following:

1. The S3 has had a 5 month headstart on the iPhone 5, and has been on the market more than twice as long

2. The iPhone 5 has been supply limited for a long time after release

3. The S3 marketing completely dwarfs than of the iPhone. Every single mall/store I go into has multiple, massive banners advertising the device. Carrier booths ALL have the device featured as their flagship product in a special section. Incessant TV ads, radio ads (I hear multiple every day), carriers pushing it down the throat of every customer. By comparison, I've barely seen any iPhone 5 ads, and the instore marketing is near non-existant. 

4. The S3 looks way more "flashy" on the surface and desirable to most people, with a much bigger screen. 

Even with all this, the iPhone 5 is beating out the S3. 

1) I think it's more like 3 months for the US release. I'm sure there would have been some non-US models on US carriers before the US release but I can't see how it would be enough to make a dent.

2) You bring up a lot of good points for Apple but this is still highly impressive for an Android-based phone. We've never seen anything it before. Prior to this report, If you had asked me what the number 1, 2 and 3 smartphone models are in the US for web stats I'd say it was the iPhone 5, 4S, and 4, respectively.
  • Reply 46 of 84

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

You know why is that? Because carriers HATE Apple! They hate that they have to subsidies the iPhone! They have absolutely no advantage when they sell an iPhone. AT&T had an advantage while it was the only one who sold the iPhone, but now that advantage has disappeared and carriers are stuck with paying Apple that huge margin. Either Apple will give up the huge margin or carriers will KILL Apple in the end. In my country all three major carriers has stopped subsidizing the iPhone this year and now the iPhone 5 is 2-3 times more expensive then Samsung S3. The result? Almost no one is buying the iPhone anymore and Samsung S3 is selling like hotcakes!

By the way, Samsung probably doesn't even pay carriers for that advertising. The carriers are probably doing it for free.

• Reply 47 of 84
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Well look at the second graph 'other smartphone' is at almost 38% while the iPhone 5 and the SGS 3 combined are 13%. My guess is that 'other smartphone' consists mostly of other Android phones.
    He's got a good point Soli. You [SIZE=14px]know[/SIZE] that leftover 38% isn't all made up of Windows and BB smartphones with their tiny share of the smartphone market. You don't even have to look that one up. Common sense says a big part, if not the majority, would be Android from others besides Samsung. 

Well all the iPhones together are over 40% (same chart). Other +Samsung is 58%. We can rule out symbian since this is North America. I don't think a browser share of 15-20% is unreasonable for BlackBerry and Windows in NA. There are people still using blackberries they purchased before the iPhone was released in 2007...
  • Reply 48 of 84
    hfts wrote: »
    I am so grateful that there are companies like Apple out there who believe in quality, just like me.

Wholeheartedly agree. And I think everyone would appreciate quality, but sometimes I'm flabbergasted to be proven wrong on things that seem logical to me.
  • Reply 49 of 84
    wingswings Posts: 261member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

That's only been when tablet web use is included. When it's just phones Android is either equal to or surpassing iPhone web use in the US.

If you read the pie chart, when it's just phones iOS has about 40% and Samsung has about 20%. Hardly equal to or surpassing.

• Reply 50 of 84
    davendaven Posts: 696member

I don't recall who brought up the subject of Oracle losing their case against Google copying Java without a license for Android (and I can't find the post again) but in reading the appeal brief by Oracle's attorneys, my opinion of Google has soured. Granted it is an appeal so it is one-sided but the case, in my non-attorney-trained eyes is very compelling that Google basically ripped off Oracle big time with the intent of catching up on lost mobile advertising dollars by undermining current smart phone software.  The article at Foss Patents is interesting

http://www.fosspatents.com/2013/02/oracles-appeal-brief-likens-google-to.html

but even more interesting is the reading the appeal briefing in the link above.  Regardless if you are an Apple fanboy, a Fandroid, or a neutral party just interested in the workings of Silicon Valley, the story and especially the briefing, are revealing to say the least.

• Reply 51 of 84
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

We have several threads here at AI where the Google/Oracle tussle has been discussed, but this isn't one of them. Since it's guaranteed to distract from this discussion you should repost in one of the more appropriate threads. This is a topic that can become a troll fest. You don't want to troll do you?

Since you said you couldn't find one here's a suggested thread.that fits much better. There's several others tho if you don't like this one, or perhaps even start your own:

• Reply 52 of 84
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    wovel wrote: »
    Well all the iPhones together are over 40% (same chart). Other +Samsung is 58%. We can rule out symbian since this is North America. I don't think a browser share of 15-20% is unreasonable for BlackBerry and Windows in NA. There are people still using blackberries they purchased before the iPhone was released in 2007...

You do know that there were plenty of BBs sold after 2007.
  • Reply 53 of 84
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    nelsonx wrote: »
    You know why is that? Because carriers HATE Apple! They hate that they have to subsidies the iPhone! They have absolutely no advantage when they sell an iPhone.

Well, actually, they subsidize other phones, as well - just not as much as the iPhone subsidies.

In addition, there are stories of spiffs/rebates/bonuses being given by other phone manufacturers. I don't know if it's true, but if it is, that would account for some of it.

But I believe a major part is simply that with the iPhone, it's all about the phone and the carrier is not important. With other phones, the carrier talks about how great they are and then inserts a small blurb about the phone special that they're offering that week. The focus is on the carrier, not the phone. They hate being turned into a commodity as Apple is doing.
  • Reply 54 of 84
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    isteelers wrote: »
    What I find impressive is that the Galaxy S3 has been around for 8 months or so, been given away as part of numerous promotions and BOGOs and such, and the iPhone 5 has already equaled their web use despite not being given away.

I actually tracked this as happening back in November.

http://gs.statcounter.com/#mobile_resolution-na-monthly-201201-201302

I don't know if Chitka is tracking unique devices or web traffic like StatCounter. In the above plot, the bright green line starting up in Sept is the iPhone 5 and the light blue line in May is he GSIII and GN line and a few other minor units.
  • Reply 55 of 84
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    That's only been when tablet web use is included. When it's just phones Android is either equal to or surpassing iPhone web use in the US.

Not in the US. Not by a long shot. World yes. US no.

http://gs.statcounter.com/#mobile_os-US-monthly-201201-201302
  • Reply 56 of 84

Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

Why do the percentages change when you change graph type? That doesn't seem right.

• Reply 57 of 84
    steven n. wrote: »

Why do the percentages change when you change graph type? That doesn't seem right.

That's funny. Excel even has that; if management doesn't like the numbers I tell them they can also just pull the graph and the numbers change accordingly!
  • Reply 58 of 84
    hfts wrote: »
    One certainly must have a thick skin to post on his forum.
    There are basically two types of people, those that can appreciate beauty, the effort taken in design and engineering and then there are the others who simply cannot comprehend this.
    Techstalker which one are you?

So that's how the world is divided? Didn't know that
  • Reply 59 of 84
    And that's why Samsung releases all the sales data every quarter..... Not!!!
  • Reply 60 of 84
    frood wrote: »
    Market share by *users* in North America:      Android:  53.4%      Apple: 36.3%
    Web Usage:                                        Samsung+Other:  58.4%      Apple: 41.5%

So......
    Web usage lines up pretty much with what phones people are using.

zzzzzzzzzzz

Yes, throw out 10-15% or so from 'other' for the 3 people in North America still using BB or WP.

The only thing surprising about this article is that AI chose to post it since it doesn't skew perception to support the consensus by many here that Apple users are super-adept-web-deviant-gurus and superior-human-beings-in-general while Android users are troglodytes who were all tricked by a bribed salesman into getting their phones for free and have trouble figuring out how to turn them on.  You really need to add the tablet data back in if you want to support that perception, AI is slipping. =p

Considering that no one other than Apple puts out audited sales, where did you come up with your marketshare numbers?

(Actually, you don't need to answer that, since its a rhetorical question.)

Zzzzzzzzz......