Anyone print this 5" iPhone out yet? I did.

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/02/19/try-the-5-inch-iphone-experience-with-this-printable-papercraft-model/

One thing is pretty obvious to me after printing it and folding it up: Apple will make this.

It's not too big. I'll still buy and use the 4" iPhone 5, but there's clearly a big market here for Apple with this. Yes, it's no longer a one-handed iPhone for the most part, but it's better for browsing and other things. Counterintuitively, it's the innovation on the iPhone 5, how thin and light it is which leaves room for this new 5" phone. It'll be so thin and light that it'll fit perfectly in the Apple family of products and it will finish off the iPhone family perfect. Small iPad, big iPad, small iPhone, big iPhone. Pick away!

Will it happen this year? Only Apple knows that. Will it happen before 2016? I would say absolutely. And it'll have iPhone 5 resolution, which will add no additional programming for devs and possibly allow Apple to still call it Retina given that it will be held further away from the face than iPhone 5.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    If it's the same resolution as the current iPhone 5, I definitely would NOT get one. And my guess is, not enough other people would either, in order to make it a worthwhile option for Apple.
  • Reply 2 of 24
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonton View Post

If it's the same resolution as the current iPhone 5, I definitely would NOT get one. And my guess is, not enough other people would either, in order to make it a worthwhile option for Apple.

I'd say if it's priced the same as the iPhone 5 around 40% of iPhone buyers would choose it, perhaps 50.

You wouldn't, I wouldn't, but we aren't the average consumer.

There are a lot of phone buyers out there that would like a bigger iPhone. You'd be surprised. After printing this out and holding it my hand (my prediction was that it would be ridiculous when held, but it's not) it becomes obvious that this is analogous to the big iPad, small iPad Apple family setup. This would be the big iPhone.

Although people would choose the larger iPhone for different reasons to choosing the larger iPad.

It's about giving the consumer at least some choice. In every other product category Apple has choice. Are you a big or small Air guy? Are you a big or small MacBook Pro guy? Are you a big or small iMac guy? Are you a big or small iPad guy? Are you a big or small iPhone guy?

The iPads will very shortly have the same resolution. There's no reason why the iPhones shouldn't, and a few reason why it's a good idea indeed.

• Reply 3 of 24

Looks laughably large to me.

How ironic that the very first cell phone seems to be the size Android is pushing us back toward. Complete nonsense.

In before "It doesn't matter how big it is; most people (whatever that means) use Bluetooth and don't hold their phones anyway!"

• Reply 4 of 24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Looks laughably large to me.

To you.

• Reply 5 of 24

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

To you.

If this doesn't matter, then the people who claim the iPhone is still too small don't matter, either.

• Reply 6 of 24
    It seems to me if Apple wanted a larger format iPhone, they would incorporate telephony into the iPad Mini. There's a reason for those larger Android phones from Samsung. Demand for 5 inch screens isn't it. It's not because people demand a 5inch screen, its because that's the only way to get those larger parts into a phone.

Joe
    Macs4newbies.com
  • Reply 7 of 24
    It seems to me if Apple wanted a larger format iPhone, they would incorporate telephony into the iPad Mini.

Very strange logic there.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    Personally I'd definitely go with a bigger screened iPhone any day. Hopefully Apple does release the rumored 5 inch iPhone 6 sometime this year. The iPhone 5 is a phenomenal phone but I prefer something with a bigger screen. Also if this rumor is true, hopefully the PPI is at least 320 or higher.
  • Reply 9 of 24
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

How ironic that the very first cell phone seems to be the size Android is pushing us back toward. Complete nonsense.

That'd be really big. The first cell phone was like 13" tall and 3" thick.

In before "It doesn't matter how big it is; most people (whatever that means) use Bluetooth and don't hold their phones anyway!"

Who talks on a phone these days anyway?  image

People want the larger screen for everything else that a smartphone does... apps, web, video.  Things it's used for far more often than talking.

• Reply 10 of 24
    How's that logic strange? Once you get to the point where a device is no longer manageable in one hand, size becomes a secondary or terciary matter. The point is, Apple has no problem selling any of their current iPhone lineup. They also have no problem crushing the tablet market offerings by anyone else. Adding telephony to a device already utilizing cellular technolgy for data is a simple matter of software. And doesn't add to model bloat which almost killed Apple in the Spindler/Amelio era. Don't count on Apple aking a device simply for a single feature like a 5 inch screen. At some point, you reach the place of diminished returns.
  • Reply 11 of 24

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

People want the larger screen for everything else that a smartphone does... apps, web, video.  Things it's used for far more often than talking.

It's dangerous bringing perspective to these forums. Tread carefully.

• Reply 12 of 24

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerseymacman View Post

How's that logic strange?

Picture someone holding an iPad mini to their ear and then come back to me.

• Reply 13 of 24

Quote:

Picture someone holding an iPad mini to their ear and then come back to me.

A 5" phone is nowhere near that big.

• Reply 14 of 24

Quote:

A 5" phone is nowhere near that big.

So you agree with me? Did you read the thread, or did you just jump to the conclusion and rush to reply?

• Reply 15 of 24

Quote:

So you agree with me? Did you read the thread, or did you just jump to the conclusion and rush to reply?

Yes, I was agreeing with you.   Just got rushed while replying.  Sorry if it was misunderstood.

• Reply 16 of 24

Quote:

Yes, I was agreeing with you.   Just got rushed while replying.  Sorry if it was misunderstood.

No problem.

• Reply 17 of 24
    Ireland, you seem to have concluded that the only way to use telephony capability is to bring the device to your head. Your premise is flawed. Ever hear of Bluetooth? Speakerphone? I hardly ever bring my iPhone to my ear. I am constantly using the device on speaker. I also enjoy FaceTime which automatically requires either the speakerphone, Bluetooth, or the wired headset. The whole point of the smartphone experience is to be smart about it. I multitask when using my iPhone. Tough to do holding it up to my ear. My point is simply this. Apple is more than capable of adding cellular voice to the iPad or iPad Mini. It would NOT be the primary feature of the device. And I would imagine, iPad Mini and iPad owners would still use their iPhone 4, 4s and 5.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    ireland wrote:
    I'd say if it's priced the same as the iPhone 5 around 40% of iPhone buyers would choose it, perhaps 50.

Perhaps 80 or 7, maybe even 33. Made up numbers can be anything you want. You could justify them making a red colored model exactly the same way. How many customers are they losing by only offering black and white?

The 5" size looks usable enough if you don't mind repositioning the phone while using it - we know that millions of people are using a 4.8" S3 - but I don't see why they'd sell two models at different sizes at the same price, even Samsung doesn't do that.
    ireland wrote:
    possibly allow Apple to still call it Retina given that it will be held further away from the face than iPhone 5.

What's the benefit in it being bigger if people hold it further away? Apple will design the phone under the premise that people hold it at the same distance, which is why the iPhone 5 had a higher resolution. A 5" phone would have to have a higher resolution again. They can double the resolution no problem but it would be more expensive.
    I hardly ever bring my iPhone to my ear. I am constantly using the device on speaker. I also enjoy FaceTime, I multitask when using my iPhone. Tough to do holding it up to my ear.

So as long as nobody uses a phone in the same way they've done for the last 100 years, it should be fine. Except people would use it that way instinctively and here's the Galaxy Note 8, which has phone capability being held up to people's ears:

If it has phone capability, someone will call the device and people will pick it up the same way they always pick up a phone and it will look ridiculous.

You won't always have an earpiece in, nor will you always want to answer a call on speakerphone so that moment will come in the middle of an airport in front of everyone, you have to raise the giant pad up to your face and people will stare and point, children will mock you for not knowing how to use a tablet, you may even be blocked from getting on your flight because someone crazy enough to use a tablet as a phone might just be too crazy for air travel.
  • Reply 19 of 24
    It is in no way reminiscent of the way phones have been used for 100 years. We're no longer tethered to a wall receiver and transmitter... Most folks using iPhones are utilizing the wired earphones and built in mic, Bluetooth headsets or they're using the speaker phone because the audio clarity is far superior to the feature phone they have blown by these past five years. No one driving, interested in not getting tickets while operating the vehicle, would ever bring the smartphone to their ear.

You can post all the silly images you care to post. They're fun to look at. But they bear no resemblance to how the larger form factor device with telephony is actually used. NO ONE will use an iPad mini, an iPad or any other large form tablet the way you describe it. Just doesn't happen that way. FaceTime is the Killer App and speaker phone, wired headset or Bluetooth is how it's used. Now, you may want it, but don't hold your breath waiting for Apple to make it.
  • Reply 20 of 24

Originally Posted by jerseymacman View Post

It is in no way reminiscent of the way phones have been used for 100 years.

Holding one's phone to one's ear Isn't reminiscent of the way phones have been used for a century? Come off it.

folks using iPhones are utilizing the wired earphones and built in mic, Bluetooth headsets or they're using the speaker phone because the audio clarity is far superior to the feature phone they have blown by these past five years.

Source?

No one driving, interested in not getting tickets while operating the vehicle, would ever bring the smartphone to their ear.

See, now I KNOW you're making crap up.

NO ONE will use an iPad mini, an iPad or any other large form tablet the way you describe it.

Exactly! No one will use it as a phone, even if it has access to the telecoms' voice channels!