LG acquires webOS from HP to power smart HDTV sets

Comments

• Reply 21 of 79
    This story has nothing to do with Apple.
  • Reply 22 of 79
    I think it's interesting LG didn't choose Android for their smart TV. Not sure what webOS has that's better
  • Reply 22 of 79
    bdkennedy1 wrote: »
    This story has nothing to do with Apple.

I'm not sure why people keep writing this. AI has always written stories that not only about Apple but about their competitors, their supplies, etc. Anything that can potentially affect Apple is game. Frankly, I'd rather discuss these stories here, in this community, then have to read about it on The Verge or Engadget and then have to try to find a decent response in the comments. It's like trying to pan for gold in a bird bath. You'll come up short every time.
  • Reply 24 of 79

Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post

Not sure what webOS has that's better

It's not made by Google.

• Reply 25 of 79
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post

I think it's interesting LG didn't choose Android for their smart TV. Not sure what webOS has that's better

One of the big advantages may be that it gives them a better chance of differentiating their smart TV's from Samsung or Sony or Panasonic. I doubt it's costing them very much to give it a go. 

• Reply 26 of 79
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheUnfetteredMind View Post

I think Samsung should have done this after HP announced they were going to kill off any WebOS development. They could have used it to truly create a competitor to Android and iOS. I don't predict LG will be able to do the same.

They already had their own OS - Bada - so they didn't need to spend money to acquire WebOS.

• Reply 27 of 79
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    I'm glad to see WebOS being used for something. I hope LG don't blow it like Palm and HP did. But as theunfetteredmind said - Samsung might of been able to utilize it better (as an alternative to Tizen)...but hope springs eternal - maybe LG will succeed afterall in turning it into something of a minor hit, WebOS deserves that...I'm not holding my breath though.
  • Reply 28 of 79
    I bet they didn't have to pay 1.2 billion to acquire it ;) Glad I'm not an HP investor.
  • Reply 29 of 79
    gatorguy wrote: »
    One of the big advantages may be that it gives them a better chance of differentiating their smart TV's from Samsung or Sony or Panasonic. I doubt it's costing them very much to give it a go. 

After seeing the state that Win OEMs are in any tech company that needs to use an OS should build their own platform -or- use someone else's whilst building their own platform.
  • Reply 30 of 79

Quote:

Originally Posted by gcguy View Post

Doh. I don't get with the size, scope, and history if HP how they can't be a viable contender like Sumdung and LookPee. Perhaps they will move to Android based devices? I would love to have another American company in the electronics game.

I think HP is going down the road of "Business Services" and getting our of the business of producing HW. A la IBM.

• Reply 31 of 79

How fitting. 

A zombie-OS acquired by a company that specializes in killing brand image.

It's scheduled to resurrect in ZTE's offices around a year from now. 

• Reply 32 of 79
    saarek wrote: »
    At least this way it'll get used, I still find it hard to believe just how badly HP screwed up with Web OS. Was it perfect, no. Could it have been a genuine competitor to iOS and Android, absolutely, at least in my opinion.

Crappy hardware did them in if you ask me.

john.b wrote: »
    Based on my experience with their current "Smart TV" and their "Magic Remote Control", they couldn't do much worse on the UX front.  Switching inputs is needlessly complicated (and slow), not to mention incompatible with virtually all 3rd party remotes.

I'd rather see them address the severe artifacting issues with their so-called 120 Hz Tru-Motion technology.

Even at 240 Hz it sucks and that's why I went with a plasma.
  • Reply 33 of 79
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

yet once again HP shows us why it is doomed:

1. acquire a promising independent OS with great potential to power a wide range of products, and then fail to invest in its full development, leaving it atrophied instead.

2. then dump it cheap to some Asian OEM.

3. and revert to relying totally on Google and MS OS' for products.

4. thereby joining the profitless Race To The Bottom where every HP product is a mere commodity up against cutthroat competition.

5. starting with the $169 Slate 7 tablet and an HP Chromebook just announced.

in just a few years it will be all of what's left of HP itself that gets dumped cheap to some Asian OEM.

• Reply 34 of 79
    solipsismx wrote: »
    He means sexually transmitted disease.

Specifically AIDS.

Aquired
    Insufficiency of
    Device
    Sales
  • Reply 35 of 79
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

If only Scamsung had bought it first. Darn it!

I still feel guilty buyiong a Scamsung fridge but I love the LED lights ...image

Yeah, but you can always sell it, take a loss and buy something else.  You still have time to redeem yourself.  LOL.  I'm sure people will forgive you for buying a Samsung labeled product.  Just tell people you had a were temporarily insane, that usually works, or some commissioned rep forced you to buy it.  That usually works. :-)

• Reply 36 of 79

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

yet once again HP shows us why it is doomed:

1. acquire a promising independent OS with great potential to power a wide range of products, and then fail to invest in its full development, leaving it atrophied instead.

2. then dump it cheap to some Asian OEM.

3. and revert to relying totally on Google and MS OS' for products.

4. thereby joining the profitless Race To The Bottom where every HP product is a mere commodity up against cutthroat competition.

5. starting with the $169 Slate 7 tablet and an HP Chromebook just announced.

in just a few years it will be all of what's left of HP itself that gets dumped cheap to some Asian OEM.

Yeah, it looks like HP with their Android tablets are intentionally going after the Low Margin, No Profit business model just to join the gang of other companies destined for failure.  Hey, lets some up with a Me-Too product, sell it at just above cost and we'll make it up on volume. 

• Reply 37 of 79

Quote:

Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

I think HP is going down the road of "Business Services" and getting our of the business of producing HW. A la IBM.

HP just announced a 7 inch Android tablet for $169.  I just think they prefer the Low Margin, No Profit business model.  They'll just make it up on volume.

• Reply 38 of 79

Quote:

Originally Posted by jameskatt2 View Post

WebOS is definitely going to die now.

The future is NOT in a OS Powered TV monitor. The problem is that people don't buy TV monitors frequently. They buy them about every 10 years. Thus the hardware (including CPU and GPU) is going to age and get slower compared to the competitions.

The Competition is Apple TV. Apple TV is inexpensive and can be replaced every 1-2 years. Its hardware will always be competitive with the competition. Once it gets gaming and downloadable apps capabilities, it will KILL the competition.

only when there is one controller that can drive the TV, the Sound System, the cable, and the AppleTV, and integrate all that into one onscreen menu.   

There is a middle ground.  An 'Apple TV Aware'  set of Home Theater Products using HDMI-CEC (or ethernet?) to drive controls to the devices.   Pair a device up with an Apple TV, enable the CEC, then your TV and AppleTV are 'one' through the Apple TV interface. Extend that for your sound system BlueRay and cable (the last one may be the most problematic)  and you have that 'one button system' that is the Apple Gold Standard for interface design.

Think AirPrint for Home Theater.

• Reply 39 of 79
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Maybe LG should hire that pale blond girl (Tamara Hope) from the Palm Pre ads.
    She could be their "Creative Director." Like Alicia Keys is for BlackBerry.

Hey LG! Here she is on IMDb: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0394045/
  • Reply 40 of 79
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    drblank wrote: »
    HP just announced a 7 inch Android tablet for $169.  I just think they prefer the Low Margin, No Profit business model.  They'll just make it up on volume.

No doubt Wall Street will love them to bits too ;)