HP announces $169 Android-based Slate 7 tablet

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 44

Most everyone said it, here we go the race to the bottom is in full swing, it killed the PC market place and gave us nothing but crap that did not last longer then a few years.

The company set prices and then try and figure how to make a profit, in the mean time the consumer get nothing but junk and anyone who has something of value gets drag down in the mud with the rest of the pigs who do not know they stink.

• Reply 42 of 44
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    maestro64 wrote: »
    Most everyone said it, here we go the race to the bottom is in full swing, it killed the PC market place and gave us nothing but crap that did not last longer then a few years.

The company set prices and then try and figure how to make a profit, in the mean time the consumer get nothing but junk and anyone who has something of value gets drag down in the mud with the rest of the pigs who do not know they stink.

I have to laugh every time I see ads for these $69 Android 7" tablets. Total crap and nearly useless - yet they're getting good reviews. Maybe it's the paid shill nonsense.
    rogifan wrote: »
    So Yahoo finance has a story up a out how this is a threat to the iPad.  Hmm...why wouldn't this be a threat to Nexus 7 or Kindle Fire?  Seems to me bottom feeders will compete most with other bottom feeders.  Also I think this hurts Microsoft and Windows 8 as much as Apple.  How does Microsoft get any tablet traction when their PC OEM partners are releasing cheap Android tablets?  These cheap tablets are just confirming that tablets are more for consumption than creation.  I don't see how that is good for Surface RT or Pro.

Well, Apple is cited because they have such an overwhelming share in tablets. Even if HP is twice as effective at taking customers from Microsoft and Android, the fact that Apple has 60-70% of the market means that they'll be taking more customers from Apple.

But I agree - it's going to continue to put pressure on Surface and Android tablets. I guess the near future holds more cutting of corners.

The really interesting thing is that the software players are getting into hardware. While Apple showed how effective this could be, it's a danger when you start competing with your customers. I expect that Google is going to be forked even more than in the past - and people will keep looking for alternatives. That alone is one of the reasons I couldn't understand that no one wanted WebOS. It seems like it would have been perfect for HTC or Samsung.
    goldenclaw wrote: »
    I thought WebOS was beautiful. It's a shame that Hp didn't know what to do with it.

I don't know about 'beautiful', but it was certainly an OK system. It worked at least as well as contemporary Android tablets. If they had stuck with it, I don't doubt that it would be a solid #3 in the market today. And the build quality was decent - my daughter is still using hers and hasn't had a bit of trouble.
  • Reply 43 of 44
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I have to laugh every time I see ads for these $69 Android 7" tablets. Total crap and nearly useless - yet they're getting good reviews. Maybe it's the paid shill nonsense.

I agree they're junk compared to $250+ devices, but sometimes people only need a very inexpensive tablet.  Heck, even the cheap ones play Angry Birds just fine.

Before they came along, I used to buy cheap, used WiFi equipped WinMo smartphones with blocked ESNs, off eBay.   I used them as miniature Slingplayer terminals before the iPod touch came along, and then I bought some of those.  But their screen is small.

Now I keep a few cheap Android tablets around for the very young grandkids to play with (I add one of the kid friendly locked down app launchers)... it's okay if they break one.. and for my own purposes.

For example, not long ago I got a 33% off coupon from CVS.  I went right over and bought their later model ICS equipped Android tablet that usually sells for $99.

Now it sits on my desk being used sometimes as a cheap Pandora radio, sometimes to watch BBC TV news, but more often to keep my pilot's ear in practice with a scanner app tuned to NY approach.  

This leaves my other, far more expensive tablets free for use elsewhere in the house.

YMMV.

• Reply 44 of 44
    Hope HP makes some $$ outta this,