Latest iOS 6.1.3 beta fixes exploit used in Evasi0n jailbreak

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
The most popular jailbreak in iOS history will come to an end when Apple releases the forthcoming iOS 6.1.3 update, as the new operating system reportedly patches at least one of the exploits used by the untethered liberation tool.

Evasi0n

According to Evasi0n co-creator David Wang, Apple's latest iOS 6.1.3 beta 2 fixes a flaw pertaining to time zone settings, one of five bugs exploited by the jailbreak to "liberate" devices running the OS. Apple seeded build "10B318" of the upcoming iOS 6.1.3 to developers last Thursday.

?If one of the vulnerabilities doesn?t work, Evasi0n doesn?t work,? Wang said. ?We could replace that part with a different vulnerability, but [Apple] will probably fix most if not all of the bugs we?ve used when 6.1.3 comes out.?

Released less than a month ago, Evasi0n was quickly adopted by users wanting greater control over system-level device functions usually reserved for Apple's first-party apps. It was reported in early February that the jailbreak had been downloaded over seven million times in just four days.

Evasi0n was dealt a temporary setback when iOS 6.1.1 was released in mid-February, but a subsequent jailbreak version was swiftly issued to bring back support for all iOS devices, including Apple's flagship iPhone 5 and new iPad mini.

While iOS 6.1.3 may plug existing holes, Wang said there may be enough remaining in operating system to create an entirely new jailbreak, as long as Apple doesn't fix those before releasing the update to the public.

It should be noted that the process of jailbreaking is legal, but will void the supplied Apple warranty as it leverages exploits in the iOS software to run unauthorized code.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,712member
    Are we taking bets on how long till the work around?
  • Reply 2 of 20
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    It'll only come to an end to those enough foolish enough to download the 6.1.3 update. I'll be sitting on the 6.1.2 jailbreak until iOS 7 is jailbroken.
  • Reply 3 of 20

O.K. troll dub@ss comment. But why does everything have to be fixed with God's product from Eden??? I got the crappy plastic Sammy Skyrocket, and I haven't had to do anything to it... including keeping the original battery... which I can replace as needed. :cough cough:

• Reply 4 of 20

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Are we taking bets on how long till the work around?

Truly knowing nothing about how hard it is to find vulnerabilities, let alone exploit them for a jailbreak, I'll guess one week :)

• Reply 5 of 20

Frankly, I'm glad there are jailbreakers.  They serve two purposes:

1. they provide a service that allows those who want to, to jailbreak their phone (a right that is protected by law (at least in the US), and

2. they find critical bugs for Apple to fix, making the OS ultimately safer for the rest of us!

• Reply 6 of 20
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

Aren't we having fun calling people dub@ss here.  Makes one feel better.  I can bet others will enjoy watching some one be a total heartless moron.

• Reply 7 of 20
    I'm not a fan of jailbreaking apple devices but i agree with you @_Rick_V
  • Reply 8 of 20
    My only problem with jailbreaking is that many (most?) people use it to pirate apps.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    I agree @TokyoJimu. Pirating takes jobs away... my opinion.
  • Reply 10 of 20

Quote:

Originally Posted by _Rick_V_ View Post

Frankly, I'm glad there are jailbreakers.  They serve two purposes:

1. they provide a service that allows those who want to, to jailbreak their phone (a right that is protected by law (at least in the US), and

2. they find critical bugs for Apple to fix, making the OS ultimately safer for the rest of us!

I would imagine somebody potentially could have created a malicious website in the past that used the JailbreakMe exploits to brick somebody's phone. Fortunately, people generally seek out vulnerabilities in iOS for Jailbreaking, but these same exploits could be used for malicious purposes. So it is beneficial to the community to have these exploits discovered and patched before they are exploited for nefarious purposes.

• Reply 11 of 20
    I've been using the Apple iPhone since the iPhone three and I've never really wanted to jailbreak. However the popularity of the evasi0n jailbreak made me decide to give it a try. I absolutely love it. I've been able to completely customize my phone in ways that Apple never intended, and it makes the phone so much easier to use. I am definitely not going to install the upgrade.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member

hah - I still am using an iPhone 2G! Still running although charging can be problematic - but with perseverance I can get to 100%. And it's got a large grey spot when I left in the sun for a few hours and then touched the screen after starting. lol

One of the first iPhones in NZ - I jail broke it as soon as I got it, b/c I really used to be into that stuff.

Pwnge Tool lol

I never use the features or abilities I used to think were great that the jailbreak offers you now, not for several years.

IMO - think of jail breaking as an iOS android experience - before Android of course but if you're into SSH and hacking around - its cool.

Do you think I should get the 5 or wait for the 5S ?

• Reply 13 of 20
    mazda 3s wrote: »
    It'll only come to an end to those enough foolish enough to download the 6.1.3 update. I'll be sitting on the 6.1.2 jailbreak until iOS 7 is jailbroken.

Ya, I was going to say, it shouldn't affect anyone unless they upgrade to 6.1.3. If they all stay at 6.1.2 then it will be fine.

I'm too nervous to jailbreak my phone. I would do it with an iPod touch if I had one, but I don't want to risk it on my phone
  • Reply 14 of 20
    I will never understand why people jailbreak their devices. Did it once on an iPhone 3G and thought it was rubbish. Or let's just say that I don't have the need to customize my phone in every which way. I don't feel limited at all when the device is not jail broken. But I guess that's just a matter of preference. Very content with my "standard" iPhone 4S.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    I will never understand why people jailbreak their devices. Did it once on an iPhone 3G and thought it was rubbish. Or let's just say that I don't have the need to customize my phone in every which way. I don't feel limited at all when the device is not jail broken. But I guess that's just a matter of preference. Very content with my "standard" iPhone 4S.
  • Reply 16 of 20
  • Reply 17 of 20
  • Reply 18 of 20
    Sorry!! I'm new here! How to delete the "extra" comments??
  • Reply 19 of 20

Quote:

Originally Posted by En Sabah Nur View Post

It depends what you want to do with your iPhone.

Some feature or function Apple or Telecom not allow you to have it from start. 

When you need that feature or function in the future but iPhone does not have it then what? Just accept way it is?

But other Android phone has that feature or function without any modification?

These days most of smart phone starting price is same but sometimes iPhone lack some feature or function.

That is the reason people perform jailbreak.

I don't do jailbreak because I do not need lots of function or feature, but sometimes iPhone is too restricted.

If I forgot to bring my USB drive then I would like to use iPhone as USB disk so I can move around the files without carry 2 different devices.

Yeah.. USB drive is not that big.. Won't hurt my back. But sometimes I can't find it when I need one...I see my iPhone top of my desk but I can't use it..

• Reply 20 of 20

Quote:

Originally Posted by En Sabah Nur View Post

Sorry!! I'm new here! How to delete the "extra" comments??

The moderator 'Tallest Skil' will delete your comments. He loves his job.