iTunes, other digital providers boost music industry to first revenue growth in 13 years

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    I'd look for the one with the highest download count. Worked flawlessly with Napster, but I stopped using Limewire when advertisements were being labeled as songs.

Were the songs organized by album and artist as easily as with iTunes Music Store or did you have to do a more general search and then look for the names that pop at you?
  • Reply 22 of 25
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Were the songs organized by album and artist as easily as with iTunes Music Store or did you have to do a more general search and then look for the names that pop at you?

Let's say you had Help for the Beatles in your library and had everything labeled correctly title, album, artist, Napster would look through your songs (which you were given the option to allow it or not) and someone searched for the song Help. You correctly labeled song would be one of the options for download, if then downloaded it would be correctly labeled in that person's library and usually those songs would quickly become the most downloaded version of Help. I can't believe you never used it. Sean Parker did an outstanding job with it. Many people would find a favorite user and would download almost exclusively from that person's library. Napster also had built in defenses where the software did not allow someone to access any other folders than the user chose to share.
  • Reply 23 of 25
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Let's say you had Help for the Beatles in your library and had everything labeled correctly title, album, artist, Napster would look through your songs (which you were given the option to allow it or not) and someone searched for the song Help. You correctly labeled song would be one of the options for download, if then downloaded it would be correctly labeled in that person's library and usually those songs would quickly become the most downloaded version of Help. I can't believe you never used it. Sean Parker did an outstanding job with it. Many people would find a favorite user and would download almost exclusively from that person's library. Napster also had built in defenses where the software did not allow someone to access any other folders than the user chose to share.

I didn't use it enough to remember the particulars of it. I had forgotten about having to label everything correctly which again goes against being easy and simple. The average customer doesn't want to deal with that.
  • Reply 24 of 25
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member

Interesting that they don't mention that CD sales are still a MAJOR part of the revenue. If you add in used CD sales (which they never do, of course, since the labels make no money from them), CD sales are still way more than half of all music sales. But all you hear in stories is about digital music.

• Reply 25 of 25
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I didn't use it enough to remember the particulars of it. I had forgotten about having to label everything correctly which again goes against being easy and simple. The average customer doesn't want to deal with that.

But back then then most of the music people had on iTunes was ripped from CDs, and not every song ot came up labeled completely.