CEO admits Apple is 'looking at new categories' for potential products

Comments

• Reply 21 of 78
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    ramartino wrote: »
    Is this supposed to return value to my shares? What a joke! The company is sitting on over $136B in cash and Tim Cook thinks this is the Way to return value. The stock has tanked. The company has lost billions in shareholder value. The man is delusional

The share price of Apple has far more to do with Doug Kass and his cronies than anything Apple has done. Apple are making more than $100M in profit every 4 days. They are performing.
  • Reply 22 of 78
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    The rumor says Apple is working on a TV... Samsung rushed development and introduces a new "Smart TV"

The rumor says Apple is working on a Watch... Samsung rushed development and is said to be working on a "Smart Watch"

I think Apple should plant a rumor that it is working on a spaceship.

Or green carrots.
  • Reply 23 of 78
    blursdblursd Posts: 123member

I'll file this under the "No @#$% Sherlock" category ... 

• Reply 24 of 78
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramartino View Post

Is this supposed to return value to my shares? What a joke! The company is sitting on over $136B in cash and Tim Cook thinks this is the Way to return value. The stock has tanked. The company has lost billions in shareholder value. The man is delusional

Quote:

Originally Posted by malax View Post

So sell your shares and invest in a company that isn't a joke with a delusional CEO.  I expect we'll survive your dumping your vast holdings onto the market.

Hold your judgment. I suspect this is a drive-by troll from a one post wonder. We'll see.

• Reply 25 of 78

Quote:

Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

Best silent movie ever

No, this is: 

That would be top 5 at best!

• Reply 26 of 78

edit: double

• Reply 27 of 78

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I can.

But I can also imagine where Apple would take Tesla beyond just "electric vehicle". They'd literally reinvent the concept of a car. Tesla's already making the right kind of changes. Apple-y changes. Imagine what the teams could do combined.

And imagine what Tesla could do with Apple's battery knowledge.

While their competitors are releasing $40,000, 180MPC cars, Tesla would be putting out a $30,000, 500MPC car. 

Exactly....

The main thing for me it the almost unlimited growth potential for Apple with this combination....

Tesla is premium brand like Apple.   Also Tesla is re-defining how you buy a car.  There are NO tesla dealers, just stores (actually designed by an ex Apple employee I think)...

• Reply 28 of 78
    ecsecs Posts: 307member
    iHat (top-of-the-head iOS experience)

iCarbonara (first eatable iOS release in history. It tells you "please don't eat me" when you open the box)

iUmbrella (its surface can detect up to 10 simultaneous water drop hits, and iOS informs you where each drop hits, through a synth voice ie: one to your right, three on your left, and so on. You can record rain sessions).

iPlain (the purest iOS product ever: no device, no media, no nothing, nada. Just iOS on the cloud, but without any cloud at all)
  • Reply 29 of 78

Quote:

Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Re: "One rumored product that could be in Apple's future is a television set, which is said to have been in development at the company's Cupertino, Calif., headquarters for years."

Maybe. But it might take a whole lot of piracy to enable an Apple television set (and Apple's disruption of the TV industry.) And that level of piracy may not really be possible until broadband (wired) internet is more pervasive and "real 4G" is rolled out with 1Gb/sec download speeds.

Only two things can push the incumbent TV industry players over the line to work with Apple: fear and greed. The fear will come from losing profitability due to rampant piracy (like that in the music business about a decade ago) or due to serious competition from upstart independents streaming content over the internet. The greed will come into play if Apple can dangle $$$ billions in front of the big TV players' noses to lure them in.

It's a race. Fear vs. greed. Ready. Set. Go!

Nah, just fear. Apple has greed patented already. /s

• Reply 30 of 78

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgr111 View Post

I don't think Tim Cook's "joke" about Al Gore creating the Internet is very funny. In light of Gore's recent sale of his company, he should not even be a member of the Board of Directors!

Because he sold to the Qataris? Do you have something against them? If so, what?

He made a tidy profit. That's the kind of guy I want looking over my Apple shares.

• Reply 31 of 78

Quote:

Originally Posted by sranger View Post

Apple needs to buy Tesla.....  Apple could own the emerging EV market and have almost unlimited growth for the foreseeable future IMHO....

Could you image a Telas Model S or Model X with iOS integrated into it?

(i) They need to figure out battery issues.

(ii) They use Android.

• Reply 32 of 78
    timbittimbit Posts: 331member
    The "big plan for the living room" is going to end up being a lamp and an extremely comfy armchair, which can be used to cuddle up in while reading your favourite novel on your iPad.
  • Reply 33 of 78
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    'looking at new categories'

I find this worrying. I had assumed they weren't 'looking', rather had a load of SJ's ideas for products and categories already in a safe and just had to make them happen over the next decade or two.
  • Reply 34 of 78
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    sranger wrote: »
    Apple needs to buy Tesla.....  Apple could own the emerging EV market and have almost unlimited growth for the foreseeable future IMHO....

There is a lot more to Tesla's parent company than the cars. mmm... Apple could move into Space exploration too :)
  • Reply 35 of 78
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    slurpy wrote: »
    "He noted that Apple grew by about $48 billion in fiscal 2012, which was more than Google, Microsoft, Dell, HP and Research in Motion (now known as BlackBerry) combined."

Incredible stat, considering all the concern-trollling headlines about Apple's stalled growth, and the stock hit because of these headlines. Jesus.

I haven't seen this vast sum pointed out this way before. One thing I like about Tim Cook is his mastery of tossing around big numbers, which some would attribute to his spreadsheet mind. Like the way he referred to spending $10 billion for each of the last two years on capital expenditures as "a pair of tens."

About this rumored wrist device. I think it would be great fun if it was the new world phone that everybody wants to see for "the developing world." It might not need to be too expensive if it was all radio and very little screen.
  • Reply 36 of 78
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcode View Post

Hear, hear!  Apple never was, nor will it likely ever be a dividend cash-cow.  If you're looking for that kind of instant return, AAPL is not for you.  It's exactly these types of attitudes that have sent the stock "tanking" this quarter.

When the company is earning as much money as Apple is, they have to issue big dividends.  If they don't, then the cash pile will grow so large that you are basically buying a money market fund instead of a technology company when you buy Apple stock.  Apple will never use that much money on acquisitions.

Also, the larger the cash pile grows, the greater the chance that somebody will use it to fund a leveraged buyout and take Apple private like Dell is doing.

• Reply 37 of 78
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    sockrolid wrote: »
    Re: "One rumored product that could be in Apple's future is a television set, which is said to have been in development at the company's Cupertino, Calif., headquarters for years."

Maybe. But it might take a whole lot of piracy to enable an Apple television set (and Apple's disruption of the TV industry.) And that level of piracy may not really be possible until broadband (wired) internet is more pervasive and "real 4G" is rolled out with 1Gb/sec download speeds.

Only two things can push the incumbent TV industry players over the line to work with Apple: fear and greed. The fear will come from losing profitability due to rampant piracy (like that in the music business about a decade ago) or due to serious competition from upstart independents streaming content over the internet. The greed will come into play if Apple can dangle $$$ billions in front of the big TV players' noses to lure them in.

It's a race. Fear vs. greed. Ready. Set. Go!

TV and movie piracy isn't as easy as it was getting free music. The music industry was losing money until this past year, but the TV industry is doing just fine, and do not need a savior.
  • Reply 38 of 78
    Is a 100 People Team a lot for developing a new product?
  • Reply 39 of 78
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member

The problem here is that nobody in their right mind would buy a electric only vehicle with todays battery technologies.   Sale pretty much indicate that the only people actually buying cars like the Tesla are the ones that indeed are not in their right mind.

Don't get me wrong I like the idea of an electric drive car.  The problem is we don't have a power source to provide energy for such cars in a way that most drivers would find acceptable.   What the industry really needs is a clean nuclear source for such automobiles.   To that end Apple really should be funneling some of their money into advanced reactor designs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sranger View Post

• Reply 40 of 78
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member

This is wishful thinking!   Don't you think that is somebody had suitable battery technology for Tesla that they would be knocking on Teslas doors every day to try to sell such technology to Tesla.

I'm as pro electric vehicle as anybody but I'm also in touch with reality.   Reality says that we really don't have a suitable battery technology for electric cars right now.   That could change quickly as frankly there is more research going on with respect to battery tech than just about any other technology out there.   But at the moment electric cars are a hug compromise if you are somebody like me that has only one vehicle and only expects to have one for the foreseeable future.

Beyond that if Apple really wants to move us into the future the answer is nuclear technologies.   In this regard Apple really should be investing in novel approaches like Focus Fusion and other less than big science approaches to Fusion technologies.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I can.

But I can also imagine where Apple would take Tesla beyond just "electric vehicle". They'd literally reinvent the concept of a car. Tesla's already making the right kind of changes. Apple-y changes. Imagine what the teams could do combined.

And imagine what Tesla could do with Apple's battery knowledge.

While their competitors are releasing $40,000, 180MPC cars, Tesla would be putting out a $30,000, 500MPC car.