Apple may need $137B cash hoard to weather 'very rough' next two years, analyst says

Comments

• Reply 21 of 63
    If the guy had a brain, he wouldn't be an analyst...
  • Reply 22 of 63
    galbi wrote: »
    Earth to Slurpy, analysts are about the future, not of the past. Those figures are past numbers.
    Fortunes for a company can change over night. This is especially true in the high tech industry.

Analysts always have horrible expectations for Apple... then BAM... $13 billion in profit. There are still plenty of fortunes for Apple.

I wonder what it's like to be an analyst for a company like HTC... a company that has lost a lot lately.
  • Reply 23 of 63
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The company recently introduced payment plans to boost iPhone sales in the region, a move that is part of a larger "more aggressive" strategy for the developing market. The tactic appears to have gained traction as sales grew 400 percent over the last three months.

You can get in real trouble when you start paying people to buy your product. I think they should be more cautious, and just sell to people who can afford it, and do the best they can within that constraint. Less can go wrong.

• Reply 24 of 63
    normmnormm Posts: 653member
    desuserign wrote: »
    So why do I keep seeing this "Apple just had the <span style="color:rgb(24,24,24);font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:18px;">most profitable calendar year in human history" phrase everywhere? Will I ever see any proof of this claim or is it just one of those memes I'll keep hearing ad </span>
    <span style="line-height:18px;">infinitum?</span>

<span style="line-height:18px;">Is "human history" a euphemism for "in a good long while?"</span>

<span style="line-height:18px;">Has someone scoured the financial history of ancient Sumeria, Babelonia, Greece and Rome to confirm this claim? How did they do the inflation adjustment calculations?</span>

You do understand that Apple made a profit of over $1 billion per week this past quarter? Since the earth only had about 200 million people on it in the year 1 AD, that's about $2000 per person per year, if the population were still the same. For comparison, the GDP per capita in ancient Rome, in equivalent year-2000 international dollars (based on $US purchasing power parities and the average value of commodities), was less than $1000.

In general, world markets are so much larger today that there is no possibility that any company in the ancient world was large compared to the biggest companies today. World population hit 1 billion people for the first time around the year 1800. We have good records of the size of companies since then.
  • Reply 25 of 63
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

Are all of these analysts colluding/conspiring to push the price of AAPL down as far as possible to create the greatest rubberband effect possible?

I mean, talk about everyone jumping on the bandwagon.....all at the same time.

Looks like they can't push it down any further than around ~$450. If you want some this might be a good time to buy.

• Reply 26 of 63
    Where was this BS before Apple got into the cell phone business?
    This is complete bull just to drop Apple stock because they know that effing tv and watch is going to raise hell so drop the stock to get it cheap.
    F**** them all!
  • Reply 27 of 63
    Apple will be fine.
  • Reply 28 of 63
    These analysts reminds me of an old aunt of mine who keeps preaching Armageddon is just around the corner ever since I could remember. I am getting old and grey and she still believes armageddon just around the corner. It will happen any day now! That is their attitude towards Apple. If they keep predicting doom and gloom long enough they must believe that one day they are sure to be proven right.
  • Reply 29 of 63

hmm

• Reply 30 of 63
    slurpy wrote: »
    Apple made what, $55 BILLION in revenue last quarter? $13+ BILLION in profit? Significantly more than any other technology company on the planet. If Apple is facing a "rough" couple years and needs it's $137 Billion cash hoard to "weather it", God help every other company on the planet. 

Food for thought: In the last quarter, in less than a period of 3 months, Apple increased it's cash hoard by about 10%- a cash hoard it has been collecting for the past 36 years, or roughly 432 months. It's adding to it's cash at an alarming rate, something fucking serious would need to happen for that cash to decrease in any significant matter. Apple could cease all operations, have zero sales, and send all their employees to vacation wherever the **** they want for the next few years, all expenses payed, and they wouldn't  go through that cash. 

Damn these analysts are schizophrenic. Yesterday, everyone is shrieking that Apple has way too much cash and it needs to give it away. Today, suddenly it may not be enough, or barely enough to survive. It's why Apple shouldn't give an atom of concern to these analysts and their bullshit. It needs to do what it thinks is right, and ignore all this asinine noise. The problem is that these people have no acountability- there should be major consequences if they're wrong, yet their never is. The stock has now become this ridiculous self fulfilling prophecy, where bullshit stories like this damage the stock, then more stories come out about how Apple is in trouble because of the stock, and on and on- while the stock is havig absolutely nothing to do with their performance. How transparent. 

I agree .
  • Reply 31 of 63
    cgjcgj Posts: 276member

This is all part of Apple's master plan. They're deliberately driving down the stock price so that they will eventually have more money than the company will have value and BOOM.

Apple will buy itself back.

• Reply 32 of 63
    shompashompa Posts: 343member
    The analytics are so retarded (or calculating).
    Apple already spend over 12 billion on tooling. That is more then Intel for example. Now they believe that Apple have to double it. There is no evidence for it.

The short term analytics investors wants Apple to pay dividend, buy shares, Iprefs and so on. All things that HURT AAPL long term.

They complain that Apple stuff is to expensive. "Apple is doomed".
    When Apple's margins goes down because their stuff is less expensive = "Apple is doomed"

Apple can't do anything right according to the analytic. Idiots that don't understand why consumers are prepared to pay for quality. The strange thing is that the same analytics for example drive Mercedes and BMWs. Why pay 7 times more for a Mercedes then a Hyundai? Should not BWM and Mercedes be doomed?

Apple spending capital would be great. They SHOULD build own factories. They should have their own foundry and assembly plant. Outsourcing stuff is always more expensive since a third party needs to make profit.

Tim is not a great CEO. Steve had passion. He believed in his things. He demanded things that people believed where impossible. Steve knew enough that he could demand technical solutions. Just look at the instant start story for Mac laptops/computers.

Meeting at Apple. Steve kicks in the door and come in with an iPad and a Macbook Air.
    He shows the instant start on iPad. "Why don't the Macbook Air start as fast? FIx it. Throws down the Macbook air on the table and walks out the room.

That is management by Perkele.

Imagine how Tim would do it. (first. He would never get the idea about instant start)
    "It would be good if computers started as fast as iOS devices"
    "Its impossible"
    "Ok... good enough"

The "good enough" attitude Tim have is Apples greatest treat. Ivy should be CEO.
  • Reply 33 of 63
    plagenplagen Posts: 151member
    Actually, these analysts are doing a great deal of work for me, the stockholder.

If you think they are trying to "manipulate" the stock, I guess they are doing it with the purpose to buy low so they can sell high. In this case, they and I think alike. So what if the stock is going down? I'm not in a hurry to sell. Just the opposite, buy while it's cheap. Hopefully, the "analysts" know what they are doing :)
  • Reply 34 of 63
    wingswings Posts: 261member

"...Misek said that high-quality products are forcing Apple to invest in next-generation technology."

Oh puulleeeezzzeee. Apple is and always has been investing in next generation technology, moreso than any other consumer tech company. This guy thinks Apple reacts to what other companies do, when the truth is it's the other way around. Started way back with the iMac and continues this day with the watch and TV which haven't even been officially announced yet. These companies even react to the rumors of what Apple is about to release, much less actual product.

Not even going to comment on Misek's crazy forecast of Apple's near term financial collapse.

Analysts. Sheesh.

• Reply 35 of 63
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member

Peter Misek is wrong more often than he is right.....Here is a list of his horrible past predictions...

These guys throw enough predictions at the wall hoping some of them will stick......

Doom and gloom for the most profitable company in the world.....

http://www.cultofmac.com/215736/a-history-of-horrible-apple-predictions-from-peter-misek/

• Reply 36 of 63
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member

Peter Misek's horrible predictions...

From Cult of Mac:

A History Of Horrible Apple Predictions From Peter Misek

Buster Heine (11:40 am PDT, Feb 13th)

derp

Jefferies’ Peter Misek, the face behind almost all of today’s Apple rumors.

It’s been a crazy day of rumors. Rumors about iPhone 5 sales slipping, the iPhone 5S coming out this summer, an Apple TV event in March, an iTV launch in September, and something about the 4.8-inch iPhone 6 being “delayed” until 2014. Busy day… but all of that info came from one guy, Peter Misek. And that guy is basically the Digitimes of analysts when it comes to correctly predicting Apple’s next move.

As an analyst for Jefferies, Mr. Misek has a long and comical history of making some crazy claims about Apple’s future plans. Who can blame him? It’s his job to predict the future of Apple so investors can make decisions. The problem is a huge amount of his predictions were wrong, especially when it comes to the Apple HDTV, where Misek has (so far) been almost universally off-point.

Here’s a run-down of some of Misek’s “greatest” predictions.

Predictions

Prediction:In April 2011, Misek said Apple was going to launch a “far reaching” video service to disrupt traditional TV businesses. Misek’s main argument was that Apple’s new data centers are too big to be just for music, so they have to be for a new video service.

Reality: Apple launched iCloud in October 2011 along with iTunes Match in November 2011.

Prediction: In September 2011, Misek claimed that Apple threw away a million units of a product called the “iPad 2 HD”" and would simply launch the iPad 3 in January.

Reality: Apple launched the iPad with Retina in March. There has never been any evidence to suggest they made a million iPad 2 HDs.

Prediction: In March 2012, Misek claimed the Apple HDTV would launch in Q4 of 2012.

Reality: The Apple HDTV is still not on the horizon.

Prediction: A month later, in April 2012, Misek said the Apple HDTV would be called the “iPanel” and start production in May 2012 for a December launch.

Reality: The Apple HDTV is still not on the horizon, and there is no evidence it is in production.

Prediction: Feeling the heat in June 2012, Misek claimed Apple would unveil their HDTV at WWDC.

Reality: The only hardware Apple announced were new MacBook Pros along with a preview of iOS 6 and Mountain Lion.

Prediction: In August 2012, Misek claimed that Apple’s HDTV is in full production and that Apple is going to sell them with a subsidy through Verizon and AT&T starting in early 2013.

Reality: Verizon and AT&T both have their own TV services, but Apple isn’t attached in any way.

Prediction: In December 2012 – Peter cited “supply chain source” to claim that iPhone 5 part orders have been cut drastically.

Reality: Tim Cook personally shut down Misek’s rumor and said you can’t get a handle on Apple by look at one or two points in Apple’s huge supply chain.

Prediction: Today(!), Misek claimed that Apple would throw an Apple HDTV related event in March.

Reality: The Loop’s Jim Dalrymple — who, unlike Misek, actually does have reliable sources within Apple — says it’s not happening.

Read more at http://www.cultofmac.com/215736/a-history-of-horrible-apple-predictions-from-peter-misek/#uCpRL3yD5ISLkZZX.99

• Reply 37 of 63

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Ok, how about "most profitable calendar year in history since companies kept records of their financials"? Would that be good enough for you? Do we really need to go back to babylonian times to make the obvious point, which is that Apple is more successful than it's ever been, than any company in recent history has been, and that predicting doom is based on absolutely nothing?

He has a point. I'd bet that among those years when Spain brought back TONS of gold from South America were very, very profitable for the Crown. Not to mention the profits of the Vereenigde Oost-Indische Compagnie.

In 1637, the Dutch East India Company was the most valuable company in world history. With a value of 78 million Dutch Guilders, Adjusted to 2012 dollars it was worth $7.4 trillion.

• Reply 38 of 63

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

Are all of these analysts colluding/conspiring to push the price of AAPL down as far as possible to create the greatest rubberband effect possible?

I mean, talk about everyone jumping on the bandwagon.....all at the same time.

Correct.

There is no other place to make fabulous returns right now, so push something down for its inevitable rise.

They did it to RIM BB, and many doubled their money.  And that was with a company that most knew would not hit it out of the ballpark with Z10.  Although that didn't stop analysts from spouting as such.

That is how the game is played.  My advice, stay out of the markets if you don't like the game.  That way, there is no loss.

Leave the ability to make money to the big boys and be happy with your savings account.

• Reply 39 of 63

It's odd to see an "analyst" claim investing in the business to grow as being a bad thing. Capital expenditures? Apple is doomed!

• Reply 40 of 63

Quote:

Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

So why do I keep seeing this "Apple just had the most profitable calendar year in human history" phrase everywhere? Will I ever see any proof of this claim or is it just one of those memes I'll keep hearing ad infinitum?

Is "human history" a euphemism for "in a good long while?"

Has someone scoured the financial history of ancient Sumeria, Babelonia, Greece and Rome to confirm this claim? How did they do the inflation adjustment calculations?

Stupid comment of the thread award!