Apple's versatile magnetic stand concept could securely hold an iPad upside down

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple has shown interest in building a magnetic iPad stand that would allow the device to be securely mounted in any fashion, including upside down in a moving car.

Patent

The concept was revealed in a new patent application published by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office this week, entitled "Magnetic Stand for Tablet Device." Discovered by AppleInsider, the filing describes a cupped stand that would use magnets to "rigidly hold a portion of the tablet device in place."Apple views its magnetic iPad stand as a versatile accessory that could be mounted anywhere

Illustrations that accompany the filing show a socket that one side of the iPad could be slid into. This stand would include strong magnets that would be able to latch on to the device and securely hold it in place.

In one example, the iPad is held in a versatile tripod with short legs, something that could be used for watching footage or even filming with the device's rear camera. In another concept, the magnetic slot sits atop a music stand, easily displaying notes for a musician to read.

Another real-world concept portrays include a mount atop a treadmill, which would allow a user to temporarily secure their iPad in place for watching content while exercising.

Patent

In an example that shows the strength of Apple's proposed magnets, an iPad is hung from the roof of a car, allowing for easy viewing by all passengers of the vehicle. The magnets in the stand would be strong enough to securely hold the iPad in place.

Patent

Another example shows two iPads connected to one another with Apple's magnetic stand, creating a hinge between the two devices. In this fashion, the iPads could be used similar to Microsoft's Courier concept, which used two tablet screens to create a book-style device.

The proposed invention, made public this week, was first filed with the USPTO in August of 2011. The invention is credited to Matthew D. Rohrbach.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Patent

Good riddance of that useless rear mirror. ;-)

• Reply 2 of 14
    *looks at rear-view iPad mount*

You know not the evils you have brought upon this world...
  • Reply 3 of 14
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

Matthew Rohrbach is one of the inventors listed on the Smart Cover patents.  Will be intersting to see if Apple ever does anything with this one.

• Reply 4 of 14
    Bluetooth or WiFi to backup camera for one portion of the screen. The other portion could be GPS. I like it. I wonder if anyone has done a DIY project like the rear view mirror concept.
  • Reply 5 of 14

iBat.®

• Reply 6 of 14

Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

Originally Posted by AeronPrometheus View Post

*looks at rear-view iPad mount*

You know not the evils you have brought upon this world...

The first thing I thought was that you'd use the iSight camera as a mirror. I don't see any problems with it in that regard.

I do see problems with it being a leviathan blind spot out FRONT, however.

• Reply 7 of 14
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Plus you could watch movies or Facetime chat while driving /s

• Reply 8 of 14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The first thing I thought was that you'd use the iSight camera as a mirror. I don't see any problems with it in that regard.

Wouldn't be reflective, so direct sunlight on the ipad surface would make it very difficult to see

• Reply 9 of 14
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

Hah- I'm sure it was meant to be an attachment for back-seat entertainment for kids (I hope).  A rearview mirror would be terrible.

I think it would actually be pretty cool in a kitchen too- instead of having it on the counter where you're cooking, you could have a magnetic holder under a top cabinet.  Tons of versatility with this.

• Reply 10 of 14
    joelsalt wrote: »
    Wouldn't be reflective, so direct sunlight on the ipad surface would make it very difficult to see
    .. Also, it is difficult to view the iPad with polarized sunglasses,often worn while driving
  • Reply 11 of 14
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member

Yes those leviathans in the middle of the road are a bitch when you can't see them :D
  • Reply 12 of 14
    iPad mounts in random locations yay!
  • Reply 13 of 14

This product already exists, and has for some time. I got mine in September of 2011. I found a review online for the product dated March, 2011, many months before Apple submitted their patent application.

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2011/03/10/magstand2-for-ipad-2-can-mount-your-pad-upside-down/

Not sure that Apple should be granted a patent for this device that already exists.

• Reply 14 of 14
    oflifeoflife Posts: 120member
    "...but Officer, I saw an Angry Bird behind me. I had to get away!"