Real Racing 3 launches as freemium iOS app from EA

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Developer Firemonkeys' highly anticipated new game "Real Racing 3" hit the iOS App Store on Thursday with a new freemium model that relies on microtransaction in-app purchases.

Real Racing 3

Real Racing 3 is a free game now available for download in the App Store, published by Electronic Arts. While previous versions of the Real Racing franchise were paid applications, EA's acquisition and merger of developers Firemint and Iron Monkey led to the new title adopting a freemium model.

While the initial game is free, certain options in the game like upgrades and repairs take time to complete. Gamers can bypass these waits by spending real money through in-app purchases, allowing EA to profit from the game while still giving it away.

Real Racing 3

Initial reaction to Real Racing 3 has been strong, with the game earning 4 and a half stars out of nearly 900 reviews. It features real cars from makers like Porsche and Lamborghini,. It also has authentic race tracks, and online play against other iOS gamers.

Players can compete in more than 900 events like cup races, eliminations, endurance challenges, and drag races. Car parts can be upgraded for maximum performance, and a variety of camera angles allow racers to fine tune their performance.

Real Racing 3

Real Racing 3 is powered by the new Mint 3 Engine, which enables persistent car damage, fully functioning rear view mirrors, and dynamic reflections.

Real Racing 3 is a 716-megabyte download, but EA advises that users have at least 2 gigabytes free on their device before installing, as it is a "highly detailed game of superior quality." The game is compatible with iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, fourth- and fifth-generation iPod touch, iPad 2, third-generation iPad, fourth-generation iPad, and iPad mini. It's also been optimized for the larger 4-inch display of the iPhone 5.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

…certain options in the game like upgrades and repairs take time to complete. Gamers can bypass these waits by spending real money through in-app purchases, allowing EA to profit from the game while still giving it away.

I hate EA. Talk about your predatory nonsense. Literally preventing you from playing the game until you pay them more. Just make it a $14.99 game and be done with it.

And I'm sure there's no workaround like changing your device's clock… image

• Reply 2 of 4
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I hate EA. Talk about your predatory nonsense. Literally preventing you from playing the game until you pay them more. Just make it a $14.99 game and be done with it.

And I'm sure there's no workaround like changing your device's clock… image

Clearly you haven't played the game because it isn't at all like that. You can totally play it without paying. All they make you pay or is to speed up repairs and such. But you could go and have a life while you wait. Maybe if more folks did that then they'd stop obsessing over these games etc

• Reply 3 of 4
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Clearly you haven't played the game because it isn't at all like that. You can totally play it without paying.

I didn't dispute that.

All they make you pay or is to speed up repairs and such.

I'm sorry, exactly, they're holding the game hostage unless you pay their ransom. You don't find that at all detestable?

• Reply 4 of 4
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I didn't dispute that.

I'm sorry, exactly, they're holding the game hostage unless you pay their ransom. You don't find that at all detestable?

No, not at all. 

Perhaps it's because I have friends and a life so I'm not on my iPad 24/7 wanting everything now like little Miss Veruca Salt.