Ex-Apple marketing guru Kawasaki signs on as Motorola consultant

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

It's also okay to be paid well for doing something you like... which is what it sounds like he's doing.

I agree, if somebody is doing what they like to do, and they are getting paid in addition to that, then that is an ideal situation. 

I don't know if somebody really wants to work for Motorola though, or if that was their first choice, I doubt it.

• Reply 22 of 34
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Sweet.

Looks like the Titanic just hired a new violinist!
  • Reply 23 of 34
    nchianchia Posts: 124member
    Guy moved on long time ago.
  • Reply 24 of 34
    Considering after the merger Evangelists got the boot it should be clear Motorola is desperate to hire one. Guy wasn't around to see Apple rebuild.
  • Reply 25 of 34

It's a free country, but having been one of his "soldiers" on the EvangeList it's hard to swallow. It's one thing to simply work for a company, but when you are leading a mission to convert, it's a little different. Imagine John the Baptist deciding later in life to promote Judaism. How would those he evangelized feel then? Hoodwinked?

• Reply 26 of 34
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    msimpson wrote: »
    tht wrote: »
    <span style="color:rgb(24,24,24);font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:18px;">Huh? I thought Kawasaki was a developer evangelist, not in "marketing". Then, he was awarded an Apple Fellow position in 1995 because of those 4 years? Wow, 1995 was desperate times.</span>

Exactly.  I met and worked with Kawasaki when he was the developer evangelist way back when.  He is nothing special.  Typical silicone valley blow-hard wannabe.  Think Robert Cringely or John Dvork or Tim Bajarin.   All talk and no action.

Nothing to worry about here, he won't fix Motorola.

His hiring indicates that the current shills leave room for improvement. Maybe they should worry a little.
  • Reply 27 of 34
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I agree, if somebody is doing what they like to do, and they are getting paid in addition to that, then that is an ideal situation. 

Agreed.

I don't know if somebody really wants to work for Motorola though, or if that was their first choice, I doubt it.

Okay, that made me chuckle... because it's true.  Motorola used to be a hot place to work for, but not so much nowadays, especially with layoffs and Google managers coming in.

So... why on earth would he jump into such a situation?   It makes me wonder if Google has more cool hardware projects up their sleeve than we know about, and he wants in on them.  Interesting.

• Reply 28 of 34
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Some people want to work for a successful company. Some people want to work to make a company successful. He's probably getting a lot more say into how things are run at Motorola. Good luck to him, he's going to need it.

• Reply 29 of 34
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

This kind of story has a wow factor of a couple of days, tops, but the Googloids at Motorola will always think of him as "that Apple guy".

• Reply 30 of 34

I wonder how long it will take to shred my copy of "Mac Way."

• Reply 31 of 34
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shameer Mulji View Post

How long before Steve Wozniak follows Kawasaki down the same path?

Steve W is rich enough to spout nonsense for free.

• Reply 32 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Some people want to work for a successful company. Some people want to work to make a company successful. He's probably getting a lot more say into how things are run at Motorola. Good luck to him, he's going to need it.

Last I heard, evangelists could not raise the dead, only the messiah could. 

• Reply 33 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

It's a free country, but having been one of his "soldiers" on the EvangeList it's hard to swallow. It's one thing to simply work for a company, but when you are leading a mission to convert, it's a little different. Imagine John the Baptist deciding later in life to promote Judaism. How would those he evangelized feel then? Hoodwinked?

John the Baptist never abandoned Judaism, but merely had some suggestions of who the messiah was, the split came later. I am not quite sure what the right analogy is here, since note that Kawasaki is not evangelizing Google, but Motorola. A sort of a prophet of a lesser god.

• Reply 34 of 34
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Quote:

Originally Posted by igriv View Post

John the Baptist never abandoned Judaism, but merely had some suggestions of who the messiah was, the split came later.

The Judaism of his day certainly abandoned him!  image

Quote:

Originally Posted by igriv View Post

I am not quite sure what the right analogy is here, since note that Kawasaki is not evangelizing Google, but Motorola.

A distinction without a difference.  Evangelizing Motorola is evangelizing Android, which is Google.