Rumor: Apple planning $330 polycarbonate iPhone, deferring 4.5" model to 2014 [u]

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    mvigodmvigod Posts: 172member
    What? Next year???? Way too late! Will give up huge share by then and when they finally do launch it great Android phones will be sub $100
  • Reply 22 of 39
    Please. Take a rumor, strip away skepticism, cloak the source, embellish it with false details an repackage it as "this is what Apple is planning for 2014." Uh no. It's made up by the AppleInsider irresponsible rumor factory. Nothing more, nothing less.
  • Reply 23 of 39
    Why will the price be up and the same as IPad mini?
  • Reply 24 of 39

Originally Posted by michaelross2408 View Post

Looks bad... maybe because its just a mock-up.. Apple would never release that

Thanks for not reading the article.

Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

Why will the price be up and the same as IPad mini?

Obviously because it will "only" be sold "off-contract". 

• Reply 25 of 39

What a bunch of crap. I don't believe them for a second. On what basis are they making this claim anyway?

And what do a couple of old "looks like" prototypes have to do with it?

Now, might polycarbonate be a suitable material for the job? Could be. But Apple has been moving away from plastics and toward high quality recyclables. Although PC is reusable, it's not quite the high end recyclable glass and metals are. I see no reason Apple would want to move in that direction now (but who knows?)

• Reply 26 of 39
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    If you think Apple tries to cut the cost of the phone by changing the material to plastic, you must be smoking something here. The cost of materials for the case won't cost a lot that Apple can cut the price from $650 to $330. How much it cost to make iphone 5, $200? with plastic case, it will still cost a few dollars cheaper. This makes no sense. I think this rumor is just another garbage news.
  • Reply 27 of 39

So these are the "great" products Cook is talking about?  I thought the 3.5" screen was perfect, then it was 4", now I guess 4.5" isnt so bad.  I'm curious to see how bad this quarter is going to be.

• Reply 28 of 39

Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

On what basis are they making this claim anyway?

Their lack of knowledge about the industry, its consumers, and Apple's place in it.

Originally Posted by tkell31 View Post

So these are the "great" products Cook is talking about?

No, these are the "great" products Wall Street is stupid enough to think are good.

I'm curious to see how bad this quarter is going to be.

Probably better than the last one, which was the best quarter of any company in the history of humanity.

• Reply 29 of 39
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

What a bunch of crap. I don't believe them for a second. On what basis are they making this claim anyway?

And what do a couple of old "looks like" prototypes have to do with it?

Now, might polycarbonate be a suitable material for the job? Could be. But Apple has been moving away from plastics and toward high quality recyclables. Although PC is reusable, it's not quite the high end recyclable glass and metals are. I see no reason Apple would want to move in that direction now (but who knows?)

Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

If you think Apple tries to cut the cost of the phone by changing the material to plastic, you must be smoking something here. The cost of materials for the case won't cost a lot that Apple can cut the price from $650 to $330. How much it cost to make iphone 5, $200? with plastic case, it will still cost a few dollars cheaper. This makes no sense. I think this rumor is just another garbage news.

I agree. 

This rumor makes no sense whatsoever.

• Reply 30 of 39

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

I agree. 

This rumor makes no sense whatsoever.

Why do you have no faith in the "Mountain View Mole"?

Cheers

• Reply 31 of 39

pop tab: Nexar Virtual - Computadores, Notebooks, Tablets, Cameras Digitais e Eletrodomesticos em Geral. Visit: http://www.nexarvirtual.com.br/

• Reply 32 of 39

If Apple is sure to release Iphone mini, then it better be smaller than the Iphone 3G. Probably the size of an Ipod classic.You should design the world's smallest smartphone. It is quite sad to see people going back to having a thin pencil box in the pockets. As technology improves, the phones should become smaller and not bigger.

• Reply 33 of 39
    wonkothesanewonkothesane Posts: 1,713member
    Anyone got an idea what the cost of the prev gen phone is? Wouldn't that already be in the price range?

Also, I gave a larger screen a other thought. While I never felt the current iPhone 5 screen is too small and I don't like big phones I feel a slightly larger screen indeed would be helpful as the usage over time since the iPhone introduction clearly benefits from more screen estate.
  • Reply 34 of 39
    according to this website quoting macotakara the iPhone 6, 5S will also propose a 4.5" screen 21325
    http://au.ibtimes.com/articles/440785/20130301/macotakara-iphone-6-5s-sport-4-5.htm#.UTCGA21di84
  • Reply 35 of 39
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by peter236 View Post

They need this phone right now, otherwise their market share will shrink further.

They don't need it for any reason at any time.

• Reply 36 of 39
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

Save a little bit here, a little bit there.  Pretty soon you're talking about real money  :)

Let's do some rough back of the napkin figuring. (If you don't like the numbers, don't be lazy and diss them, come up with your own.)

• iPad mini  = ~$190 BOM, sells for $330, gross profit $140.

• iPhone4S = ~$130 BOM, sells for $550, gross profit $420.  

So the iPhone 4S supposedly costs $60 less in parts than the iPad mini, but sells for $220 more.  Clearly the iPhone 4S could come down in price a lot, but by how much?

At first glance, you'd think the 4S could sell for even less than the iPad mini.  Pricing it at $330 would still give a $200 gross profit.

Of course, one difference between the iPad and the iPhone, is the cost of cellular royalties.  That could be anywhere from $45 to $75 or more per device, bringing the two devices closer in cost.

This is why I keep saying that Apple cannot bring out a lower priced phone until they settle all the major IP licensing cases, so they firmly know what their total royalty payments will have to be.

That leads to the good possibility is that Apple will leave out some expensive royalty stuff like LTE, Facetime and VVM from the lesser model.   That could lower the cost perhaps $10 or more per unit.

TL;DR - Apple could apparently price a 4S type phone at $330 if they wished, and make the same profit they do off the iPad mini.  A major question is how much IP royalties they're not paying now, but will have to pay in the near future.

PS. I used AI's reported iP4S BOM number, but I think it's probably higher than that.

• Reply 37 of 39
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member

I'm glad that Apple is finally jumping into the bandwagon of so called "cheap, crappy plastic".

One less bullet for the fans to throw at each other.

• Reply 38 of 39
    Stepping backwards in time is not Apple's thing. I doubt they'd go for this either because they'd get hammered by those jerks in Greenpeace for using non-recyclable plastic.

Now carbon fibre, that's I'd understand.
  • Reply 39 of 39
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    So the update to this article has Apple moving from 3.5" to 4" after 5 years and then dropping 4" for 4.5" after one year for a new display PPI? That is not their MO.

Stepping backwards in time is not Apple's thing. I doubt they'd go for this either because they'd get hammered by those jerks in Greenpeace for using non-recyclable plastic.

Now carbon fibre, that's I'd understand.

1) They went from aluminium and then plastic for two years.

2) CF has limitations in structural capacity, durability, and cost for such a small and thin device. There are also issues with recyclability.