Greenlight Capital drops lawsuit against Apple over $137B cash reserves

Comments

• Reply 21 of 77
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

They need to do something to stop this relentless slide.  All it's doing is generating more and more negative sentiment which feeds the D&G and FUD all over the web.  Cook might be the best to run Apple operationally but in terms of being the face of the company he sucks.  Every time he speaks the stock drops.  Maybe they need to let Ive or other execs out there more to show people Apple wasn't just a one man show (Jobs) that is screwed without him.  Leaving face of Apple to just Tim Cook isn't working.

• Reply 22 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I have no idea if this is the case or not, it's just a theory that I have, but could it be that there is a limited amount of investment money out there, and if that money is tied up in other stocks at the moment, then there's not much left for investing in Apple, and why would they anyway? Because AAPL is not exactly on the rise lately. 

I've noticed often, that when AAPL was riding high last year, certain other stocks were often down. It's almost like the cash flows from one particular stock to another, so it's sort of like an inverse relationship. Like I said, this is just a random thought.

It just seems odd that the Dow, s&p, Nasdaq are all at or near fresh highs while Apple is near a 52-week low.  Down again 1% today but for what reason?

• Reply 23 of 77
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That's the nice way of saying, 'WALL STREET, YOU UNIMAGINABLE WHORES; WHAT GIVES YOU THE RIGHT?!"

It's also a great Cook comment, simple and wry.

To which the nice response is: we own the company, and we would like our views to be represented, and you, Tim, are hired help.

• Reply 24 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

They need to do something to stop this relentless slide.  All it's doing is generating more and more negative sentiment which feeds the D&G and FUD all over the web.  Cook might be the best to run Apple operationally but in terms of being the face of the company he sucks.  Every time he speaks the stock drops.  Maybe they need to let Ive or other execs out there more to show people Apple wasn't just a one man show (Jobs) that is screwed without him.  Leaving face of Apple to just Tim Cook isn't working.

The shareholder meeting is why the stock is tanking. The shareholders (no, not just Einhorn, just look at the comments here) are concerned about the stock performance, and the best the board and management can do is "we are thinking about it and we have great stuff down the road"? That indicates a shocking level of clue deficiency, and complete lack of caring about what the owners (shareholders) want.

• Reply 25 of 77
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

It just seems odd that the Dow, s&p, Nasdaq are all at or near fresh highs while Apple is near a 52-week low.  Down again 1% today but for what reason?

It's not just today though, that's been the case for months now.

For whatever reason, AAPL has fallen out of favor for the time being at least. It just needs to turn around.

• Reply 26 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

That is the question that deserves an answer. Only Apple's management can credibly address it. So far, they've failed.

My hope is that they have something up their sleeve, and that it shows soon.... if it's just thinner/faster iPads, or cheaper phones, or 15-inch MBAs, or an all-retina line-up, or jazzed-up AppleTV, or OS10.XX, or iOS 6.YY, or larger cloud storage, it won't cut it.

As was pointed out by someone, the smartphone business is the best business out there right now, and so Cook's comments that they are working on "other kinds of things", or some such, is pretty scary -- it could be perceived as a lack of focus.

• Reply 27 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Wait until the 3rd week of April.

We'll need paddles for AAPL.

... meanwhile... Einhorn wonders why the IRA has suddenly become even more interested in him.  image

Paddles to spank Tim with? As for the IRA, I agree that Einhorn would be a great addition to the Republican cause.

• Reply 28 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

My favorite line:

"This resembles insider dealing the way that soccer resembles football"

Well, let's work this through. Soccer is the same thing as football in most of the world, including the UK where this fine was levied. So, essentially, he's admitting to Insider trading.

He was talking about American football, and his comment was, in fact a pun.

• Reply 29 of 77

Quote:

Originally Posted by pfisher View Post

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2012/01/25/british-regulator-fines-einhorn-in-insider-trading-case/

Maybe Einhorn needs the money to pay off this:

Greenlight Capital to Pay $11 Million Fine in Insider Case

Read the article:

“This was inside information, and Einhorn should have appreciated this,” the regulator said in a statement.

Yet the regulator also said that Mr. Einhorn’s “market abuse” was inadvertent and unintentional because he did not believe that he had been given any inside information.

“However, this was not a reasonable belief,” it said.

• Reply 30 of 77
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Dividend.

And how did that work out for the share price last year?
    igriv wrote: »
    As was pointed out by someone, the smartphone business is the best business out there right now, and so Cook's comments that they are working on "other kinds of things", or some such, is pretty scary -- it could be perceived as a lack of focus.

It doesn't matter what Apple does - the whiners will put them down.

If they stick to smartphones, they're criticized for not diversifying. If they expand outside of smartphones, they're criticized for lack of focus.

If they lower prices, they're criticized for reducing margins. If they don't lower prices, they're criticized for not caring about the developing markets.

If they don't give dividends, they're criticized for hoarding their money. If they do give dividends, they're criticized for not creating preferred shares - so some people can get more benefit than others.

There's not a blasted thing Apple could do that would make everyone happy.
  • Reply 31 of 77
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by igriv View Post

I don't think that comment is scary at all. It's not like Apple is abandoning the mobile phone business.

A huge company like Apple should be working on "other kinds of things". I want to see Apple branch out, I want to see Apple release great new gadgets and devices that nobody here thought about. I want Apple to surprise people. I want Apple to surprise me. They certainly have the resources, so just bring it on! 

Instead of letting the douchebags control the narrative, which contributes to the overall negative sentiment, Apple needs to take charge, IMO. Actions speak louder than words, and I'm hoping that Apple surprises all of us soon.

• Reply 32 of 77

Quote:

That is the question that deserves an answer. Only Apple's management can credibly address it. So far, they've failed.

My hope is that they have something up their sleeve, and that it shows soon.... if it's just thinner/faster iPads, or cheaper phones, or 15-inch MBAs, or an all-retina line-up, or jazzed-up AppleTV, or OS10.XX, or iOS 6.YY, or larger cloud storage, it won't cut it.

This is where I think the Jobs era policy of secrecy is hurting Apple.  Realistically we might not see any new stuff until WWDC.  These days silence is equated to being out of ideas.  Jony Ive does a 5 minute segment on a UK children's TV show and it lights up my twitter feed with all kinds of positive comments.  Maybe Apple needs to ease up a bit on the secrecy or let the SVPs off their leash. Give Ive or one of the other SVPs to The Verge for an exclusive.  Something, anything that might  generate some good PR.

• Reply 33 of 77

Quote:

This is where I think the Jobs era policy of secrecy is hurting Apple.  Realistically we might not see any new stuff until WWDC.  These days silence is equated to being out of ideas.  Jony Ive does a 5 minute segment on a UK children's TV show and it lights up my twitter feed with all kinds of positive comments.  Maybe Apple needs to ease up a bit on the secrecy or let the SVPs off their leash. Give Ive or one of the other SVPs to The Verge for an exclusive.  Something, anything that might  generate some good PR.

Unfortunately, this is too risky for them. For example: a mere two years or so ago they came out with the retina display, which seemed like a huge advance on the state of the art. They enjoyed a monopoly in this for all of a year, before competition caught up, and today the HTC One has much higher pixel density than any Apple device. So, the fear is that if they pre-announce, someone might actually beat them to the punch. Notice that this is one of the reasons that the stock is beaten up -- Apple is in a very competitive business (which they, arguably, created, but that does not help), and they have to keep being on top of things (and since they have not done anything mind-blowing since Jobs' passing, the jury is still out on whether the current management has what it takes). Contrast it with Google, which is essentially unchallenged in search advertising, and Android is something it gives a way FOR FREE, to help their search business.

• Reply 34 of 77
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Quote:

......Cook's comments that they are working on "other kinds of things", or some such, is pretty scary -- it could be perceived as a lack of focus.

'Lack of focus' has never been Apple's problem since the second coming of Jobs.

I doubt very much that you -- or I -- are in any position to provide advice on its product strategy.

(Edit: Corrected typo).

• Reply 35 of 77

Quote:

..... before competition caught up, and today the HTC One has much higher pixel density than any Apple .....

And how is HTC doing?

• Reply 36 of 77

Quote:

And how is HTC doing?

HTC is having its lunch mostly eaten by Samsung -- another sign of how competitive the industry is.

• Reply 37 of 77

Quote:

'Lack of focus' has never been Apple's problem since the second coming of Jobs.

I doubt very much that you -- or I -- are in any position to provide advice on its product strategy.

(Edit: Corrected typo).

I certainly claim no particular wisdom in product strategy, but notice that we are now in the period after the second (and presumably last) GOING of Jobs, and a case can be made (and apparently is being made by Mr Market) that the company seems to be on inertial guidance.

• Reply 38 of 77

Quote:

HTC is having its lunch mostly eaten by Samsung -- another sign of how competitive the industry is.

So you're saying that pixel density is not the issue.

• Reply 39 of 77

Quote:

I certainly claim no particular wisdom in product strategy, but notice that we are now in the period after the second (and presumably last) GOING of Jobs, and a case can be made (and apparently is being made by Mr Market) that the company seems to be on inertial guidance.

You certainly haven't made the case. You've simply asserted that "lack of focus" is a problem.

What do you mean by "...presumably last GOING...."?image (If it was an attempt that humor, sorry that I seem to be missing hit).

• Reply 40 of 77

Quote:

So you're saying that pixel density is not the issue.

I am saying that pixel density helped Apple's sales for a while, and now it does not, since everybody has caught up. Apple was, understandably, loath to have people actually beat them to the punch, and still are, with whatever innovation is coming next.