Apple's shipping times for both 21.5" & 27" iMac improve to 1-3 days

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    philboogie wrote: »
    You might not like the fact that the height differs if you put a 27" TB display next to a 27" iMac.

Wrong pic, but you get the picture:

I was actually thinking of going with Monoprice's new 27" IPS monitor (or another inexpensive model if the Monoprice model doesn't have VESA support).
  • Reply 22 of 49
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I was actually thinking of going with Monoprice's new 27" IPS monitor (or another inexpensive model if the Monoprice model doesn't have VESA support).

Me and my Apple minded mind, thinking everyone here only buys from Apple.

Ah, ok, so a VESA mount then. Well, that could level it to the same height, if desired. Most people I know set it up like in that picture.

Have a great Sunday!
  • Reply 23 of 49
    Me and my Apple minded mind, thinking everyone here only buys from Apple.

Ah, ok, so a VESA mount then. Well, that could level it to the same height, if desired. Most people I know set it up like in that picture.

Have a great Sunday!

1) I want something I can swing in and out for the times I need the extra display, as well as not taking up any extra space on the desk. My iMac will remain centered.

2) I buy from Apple when the benefit is there as a customer. When it comes to CE it usually is but since I'm not a gamer who needs slightly faster refreshing on the display or a graphical artist who needs the best representation of colours I just don't care. There is a desire for a nice looking frame but they are small enough now that none are that bad, but even they were unless you have OCD you'll likely not notice it at all once you start using the display as your mental focus is on the content, not the frame.
  • Reply 24 of 49
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

Mine ordered last week still shows 2-3 weeks. Am I to believe that if I cancel my order and re-order ill improve the arrival time?

Rest easy. Pending orders from Apple can change from 2-3 weeks to shipped overnight. Saw it happen a few times.

• Reply 25 of 49
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,438moderator
    solipsismx wrote:

It looks like those are the same Apple panel rejects used in the Korean brand displays:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1523737
    http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?p_id=9579&seq=1&format=2

but they give a warranty with it. It says it has a VESA mount. Even if it broke shortly after a year, that could happen to Apple's display too.
  • Reply 26 of 49
    Marvin wrote: »
    It looks like those are the same Apple panel rejects used in the Korean brand displays:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1523737
    http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?p_id=9579&seq=1&format=2

but they give a warranty with it. It says it has a VESA mount. Even if it broke shortly after a year, that could happen to Apple's display too.

Yeah, I'm not worried about it breaking, calibration or dead pixels. It's really just to go to host CLI windows and potentially a physical and logical network diagram for quick reference so size is most important.

I wonder if even a smallish HDTV with a VESA mount might be perfectly fine and be less expensive.

PS: Thanks for looking up the Monoprice display. I had forgotten if i had a VESA mount or not.

Off topic: I just had my Apple in-earphones replaced. Apparently if you have an Apple device that is under warranty they are covered even if over a year old. They aren't as good as my Shure in-earphones but considering they are 1/3rd the price I think they sound pretty good.
  • Reply 27 of 49

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

You might not like the fact that the height differs if you put a 27" TB display next to a 27" iMac.

Somebody will sell a "ThunderStand" that will fix that. Or you could put a phone book under it.

• Reply 28 of 49

It already exists from twelvesouth!

• Reply 29 of 49
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Somebody will sell a "ThunderStand" that will fix that. Or you could put a phone book under it.

But this has been the situation since the first aluminum Cinema Displays and footed iMac design.

I've always wondered why Apple didn't just kick the stand of the Cinema Display up higher to match an iMac's height. The way it stands (*rimshot*) now, I sit sort of high on my Cinema Display (I can see the reflection of my nose in the top bezel), and I think my desk is an above average height… 

• Reply 30 of 49
    dempsondempson Posts: 62member

Update on the overseas situation: NZ and Australia are now showing 1-3 days for both 21.5" and 27" models. Customisations only bump it up to 5-7 days for internal changes or swapping the mouse for a trackpad, no increase for separately boxed components (e.g. Superdrive).

UK is not quite as good but better than it was: 5-7 days for 21.5" and 1-2 weeks for 27" standard configurations, roughly doubled if customised with a component change.

These have improved at some point on Monday (local time).

• Reply 31 of 49
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,821member
    I'm loving mine. I can't believe I was using a 13" display for so long and liking it. At first it was weird to turn my head to see another part of the display but now it's natural. In fact, I'm considering getting a 2nd 27" display so I can put Terminal on that screen so I can have even more room for my main apps.

Can you let me know how the new iMac is at multi-tasking please? I would love to know how they cope with a real hammering compared to MacPros of the recent past that I am familiar with. MacBook Pros are pathetic at doing more than one thing. For example the Finder can totally take over ... copy 20 GB from one drive to another and try to do anything else on a MBP! Forget it! On a MP you could do that and render, capture video and so on with virtually no performance hit.
  • Reply 32 of 49
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,821member

OMG ... that is a really bad design slip from a certain somebody isn't it? I loved my two 30" ACD side by side when i had them. It was a wall of pure magic, had there been such a disjointed look it would have ruined the aesthetics.
  • Reply 33 of 49
    Can you let me know how the new iMac is at multi-tasking please? I would love to know how they cope with a real hammering compared to MacPros of the recent past that I am familiar with. MacBook Pros are pathetic at doing more than one thing. For example the Finder can totally take over ... copy 20 GB from one drive to another and try to do anything else on a MBP! Forget it! On a MP you could do that and render, capture video and so on with virtually no performance hit.

Since I'm coming from a 2010 13" MBP with an iGPU it's worlds better in every way except portability so I can't possibly answer you since you're on a Mac Pro. If you want some benchmarks or other tests run I'ld be more than happy to work some in for you.
  • Reply 34 of 49
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I'll run a test for you right now.

Start render of animation that takes ten minutes.  (H.264 at Maximum)

Copy 40GB folder from Thunderbolt drive to desktop.

Send 2.5 GB folder to another Mac over wired LAN while sharing the screen.

While those are flying, come back here and type a message.  Connected to Internet over WiFi.

• Reply 35 of 49

OK.  The tasks are all running.  I used Spaces to switch between various screens; just a tad jumpy.

TimeMachine started a backup.

The 2.5GB transfer is done.  The other two are processing fine.

I can use Safari fine.  Even a small web live cast news program came in fine.

Forgot to check Activity Monitor... sorry.

Never heard fans.  This baby is pretty quiet.

Oh, and far less heat than my old 2011 model.

- - - - - -

2012 iMac 27"

3.4 GHz i7

16GB RAM

3TB Fusion

680MX

- - - - -

Not bad for a "consumer" machine.

• Reply 36 of 49
    Copy 40GB folder from Thunderbolt drive to desktop.

I need a Thunderbolt drive. My 1TB USB2.0 drive for Time Machine was fine for my MBP but with 3.1TB iMac I obviously need something better. I'm using 1TB right now so I had to not save 100GB in VMs and ISOs, but that's not a big deal.

I am holding out for the next AirPort routers. I might get a Time Capsule. I'll see what my options are. I'm foolishly waiting for Apple to move the iTunes hub from being in a Mac/PC to being a proper networked iOS-based Home Server that can store all content for all users, grab updates for registered iDevices (once), and other nifty features that Home Servers have.

MS actually has a pretty decent solution and many vendors that use their Home Server have included options for allowing your Mac to use it for Time Machine backups.
  • Reply 37 of 49

Just this week I picked up a USB3 drive as I am clearing up my filing system and needed 2TB of shelving.  It will become my new TimeMachine disk, replacing a FW800.  Will get another one to store older video work on.

Got a Western Digital Essential USB3 2TB.  It is whisper quiet.

USB3 is actually slightly faster than Thunderbolt in my work this week.  It is a heck of a lot cheaper.

With a big caveat: USB can bottleneck if you run two drives off the same port at the same time.  Thunderbolt has no problem.

My biggest problem now is USB3 hubs and cables.  There just aren't too many to choose from (well, that are available here in Japan) and only one fits my needs (hub has power and can be located 2meters from the Mac).

• Reply 38 of 49
    Just this week I picked up a USB3 drive as I am clearing up my filing system and needed 2TB of shelving.  It will become my new TimeMachine disk, replacing a FW800.  Will get another one to store older video work on.

Got a Western Digital Essential USB3 2TB.  It is whisper quiet.

USB3 is actually slightly faster than Thunderbolt in my work this week.  It is a heck of a lot cheaper.

With a big caveat: USB can bottleneck if you run two drives off the same port at the same time.  Thunderbolt has no problem.

My biggest problem now is USB3 hubs and cables.  There just aren't too many to choose from and only one fits my needs (hub has power and can be located 2meters from the Mac).

USB3.0 is certainly on the table but my irrational expectation for the aforementioned Home Server is keeping me at bay.

PS: Didn't Jobs say that the iMac was no longer the digital hub? WIth so many iDevices on the market and the iPad being the primary personal computer for so many it would seem like they would need a discrete option for your local media.
  • Reply 39 of 49

I posted this in another thread, too:

Ugh.  My earlier post about USB being faster than TB was wrong.  Very wrong.  Sorry.  (Though the original test was done with a different USB3 disk than I worked with today; will test that disk again early next week.)

- - - - -

Ran a careful test today and got very different figures.  Was careful with timing on Finder drag and drop (starting on the 0sec).  Also used a backup app (Intego) that actually shows average transfer speed and time taken to complete the task.

FILE: Folder of Adobe Encore projects (video) = 20.94GB

DISK A (WD Thunderbolt Duo 6TB)

Striped RAID 

Intego: 2min 35sec (avg: 138MB/s)

Finder: 1min 48sec

DISK B (WD TB Duo 6TB)

mirrored RAID

Intego: 3min 14sec (avg: 108MB/sec)

Finder: 3min 1sec

DISK C (WD My Book Essential USB3)

single disk

Intego: 4min 51sec (avg: 72MB/sec)

Finder: 4min 38sec

Interesting to note that the Finder was much faster on the copy to striped RAID.

• Reply 40 of 49
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    OMG ... that is a really bad design slip from a certain somebody isn't it? I loved my two 30" ACD side by side when i had them. It was a wall of pure magic, had there been such a disjointed look it would have ruined the aesthetics.

1. I know; they could've simply made the 27" display stand a bit higher so the top of the two would align.

2. I would've bought a 2nd 30" if my desk was large enough, though I have no real need for it. A new, and larger cinema display from Apple is what I'm hoping for. Funny enough, I don't like my 37" TV as I think it's too big. Go figure...(but I'm a strange guy)
    I am holding out for the next AirPort routers. I might get a Time Capsule.

I would advise against that, unless you hook it up by wire. On WiFi a backup will take 'too' long if it needs to backup large files. YMMV.
    I'm foolishly waiting for Apple to move the iTunes hub from being in a Mac/PC to being a proper networked iOS-based Home Server that can store all content for all users, grab updates for registered iDevices (once), and other nifty features that Home Servers have.

MS actually has a pretty decent solution and many vendors that use their Home Server have included options for allowing your Mac to use it for Time Machine backups.

I agree that the competitors' Home Server options are nice and really hope Apple would do a thing like that. Personally I'd like to see it added to the Apple TV so that the large video files don't need to go over WiFi.
    Didn't Jobs say that the iMac was no longer the digital hub?

Yep, but I think he therefore wanted iCloud. Somehow I see him wanting to 'get rid of everything; it just works' - so kind of a less devices is better. Not very business wise, but sells iOS devices nonetheless.
    Interesting to note that the Finder was much faster on the copy to striped RAID.

It's good to see these figures, thanks. The Finder obviously was innovated over the years, not simply refined and made faster. How I like to think back to the days of OSX 10.0, and happy to see way less FFF posts.