Samsung adds security layer to Android to gain enterprise credibility

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 51
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,285member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

So what does this have to do with you?

Your team falling apart as their cover is blown?

Mr Leap to Defend.

I'd do the same if someone got their feelings hurt and attacked you unfairly and personally. It's just not proper decorum for most forums. AI shouldn't be an outlier and allow it either as it seriously discourages intelligent discussion. No wonder there's so few new members willing to rationally comment on a regular basis. We run them off with profane accusations, name-calling, troll tags and shill claims. Some of us act like we don't know how to have a respectful exchange.

It's silly to be threatened by something we didn't know, or to act personally insulted if something we thought we knew might not be true. But that's just how some members react. Screw the facts, who cares if anyone comes away with a better understanding. Just don't mess with what they want to believe.

If someone disagrees with something posted, they could at least make believe they're intelligent enough to explain why. The petty personal attacks are junior-high stuff.

• Reply 42 of 51
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    philboogie wrote: »
    Is it true that Android doesn't support WPA-Enterprise?
    If I read it right it did, then it didn't, then it does again.

So it does work? Or we simply cannot tell from all the user responses?
    derekmorr wrote: »

Thanks for that link:
    The Pentagon has more than 600,000 mobile devices, including 470,000 BlackBerrys, 41,000 Apple products and 8,700 platforms running Google’s Android operating system, according to the statement. Many of the Apple and Android products aren’t connected to Defense Department networks except for testing.

Seems like BB is still king then. I wonder if that has anything to do with WPA Enterprise...
  • Reply 43 of 51
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Seems like BB is still king then. I wonder if that has anything to do with WPA Enterprise...

Doubtful.  The whole point of using a Blackberry is because of its support for push over the cellular network, not for its WiFi capabilities.

Re: Pentagon device count.  It doesn't differentiate between secure and insecure, although it did point out that even most of the Blackberrys were not being used for secure data.

I wonder if the total includes all the iPod touches that were deployed as translators, and iPads used as flight bags.

• Reply 44 of 51
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    kdarling wrote: »
    philboogie wrote: »

Doubtful.  The whole point of using a Blackberry is because of its support for push over the cellular network, not for its WiFi capabilities.

Re: Pentagon device count.  It doesn't differentiate between secure and insecure, although it did point out that even most of the Blackberrys were not being used for secure data.

I wonder if the total includes all the iPod touches that were deployed as translators, and iPads used as flight bags.

That seems like a very valid point. Too tired right now to respond - signing off...
  • Reply 45 of 51
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I'd love to quote this, but…

¡ is sarcasm.

Well, that's the first time I've seen it used.  sorry.

• Reply 46 of 51
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Kudos to Samsung for providing what Google can't.

Samsung should be banned from being purchased by US Government, since they are a foreign based company.

• Reply 47 of 51
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    drblank wrote: »

I've been using it for about 5 or 6 years on this forum. It's not catching on as I had hoped.

drblank wrote: »
    Samsung should be banned from being purchased by US Government, since they are a foreign based company.

There is certainly an argument to be made there but is there anything in use by the government that is not US made? Of course. If it has a circuit board of any type I think it needs to be vetted more thoroughly and if the product is made outside the US and/or uses a logic board that was manufactured out the US they need to be even more thorough, which also includes Apple's products.
  • Reply 48 of 51
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Hey, no worries. It seems to be far more prevalent here than elsewhere.

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I've been using it for about 5 or 6 years on this forum. It's not catching on as I had hoped.

On the contrary! As of late it's quite popular. I'd have thought you'd be pleased with how much it has expanded. Back then it was just you using it. image

• Reply 49 of 51
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

So is Blackberry.  And Airbus.

Back during the Cold War, the US bent over backwards to give lucrative contracts to homeland manufacturers such as TI, fearing any dependency on outside sources.  The last thing we wanted, was to lose access to critical chips if a war denied us access to factories overseas.

Nowadays, everything's about saving money.  Using off-the-shelf equipment, instead of custom gear, is a major push.  That's why we see iPads and iPods being used, even though they're manufactured in China.

• Reply 50 of 51
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    As if any Android device could be considered secure.