Apple and Oracle issue patches for yet another Java zero-day exploit

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple on Monday released an updated version of Java 6 to plug a hole that can lead to malicious software being installed on an affected user's Mac.

Java Logo

Oracle also released update 17 of Java 7 today after researchers discovered multiple new vulnerabilities in the software, one of which is being actively exploited in the wild.

From Oracle's release notes:
This Security Alert addresses security issues CVE-2013-1493 (US-CERT VU#688246) and another vulnerability affecting Java running in web browsers. Due to the severity of these vulnerabilities, and the reported exploitation of CVE-2013-1493 "in the wild," Oracle strongly recommends that customers apply the updates provided by this Security Alert as soon as possible.
Java has seen an alarmingly high number of exploits since the start of the year, with Apple and Oracle both being forced to issue multiple patches to deal with ongoing issues. In mid-January, Oracle pushed out an emergency fix for a vulnerability so severe that the U.S. Department of Homeland Security recommended all Java 7 users disable or uninstall the program until a solution was found. Later that month, another exploit prompted Apple to use the XProtect anti-malware feature baked into OS X to block Java 7 from running on Macs.

Most recently, Apple pushed out an update on Feb. 19 to cope with a similar vulnerability.

The latest Java update for OS X Lion and Mountain Lion weighs in at 63.84MB, while the Snow Leopard version comes in at 69.32MB. Both can be downloaded from Apple's Support Webpage or via Software Update.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

Pest Control one java at a time.

• Reply 2 of 19

I'm going to have to quit my job so I can keep up with the updates!

• Reply 3 of 19
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member

Patches are a fact of life in the software industry.  That being said, come on Oracle!  Get with the program!

• Reply 4 of 19
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Both Adobe and Oracle really need to get their shit together. This is absolutely ridiculous!
  • Reply 5 of 19
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Strange fact: Even tho Android is frequently claimed as having Java at it's root, it's immune to these Java exploits. Android users are unaffected.

• Reply 6 of 19
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    I just find this so confusing.
    I thought Apple was leaving all Java "stuff" directly to Oracle from now on. Why is Apple still taking responsibility for this; and why Java 6, when Oracle is producing Java 7?
    I mean... wtf
  • Reply 7 of 19
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Strange fact: Even tho Android is frequently claimed as having Java at it's root, it's immune to these Java exploits. Android users are unaffected.

Android doesn't run a JVM. It uses java syntax back end but compiles to a custom VM for efficiency reasons, among others. So, yes, issues effecting java are distinct to systems running a JVM, but Dalvik (custom VM) has its own concerns. Any ubiquitous software will be targeted by malicious people. :\
  • Reply 8 of 19
    Why does my comment have a spoiler alert? I'd blame it on java, but this is from an iPhone. ;)
  • Reply 9 of 19
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by DeanSolecki View Post

Why does my comment have a spoiler alert? I'd blame it on java, but this is from an iPhone. image

You hit the spoiler button, is all. It dropped in blank formatting that you then fill with something you don't want to show up automatically.

It's ugly and huge, isn't it? Way larger than it needs to be.

• Reply 10 of 19
    You hit the spoiler button, is all. It dropped in blank formatting that you then fill with something you don't want to show up automatically.
    Spoiler:

Aww. I already had my heart set on blaming it on Java. Although now I get to blame it on cryptic ribbons. ;)

Thanks for the explanation.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    tosamantosaman Posts: 2member
    There is a simple fix, first dump Java from your mac. Don't use Safari, use Google Crome as they have Java built in (sandboxed). If concerned about your bookmarks then use "Xmarks"
    I've been doing it this way for months, works perfect, oh and get rid of Flash, another wasted resource. Have a nice Java free day!
  • Reply 12 of 19
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by TosaMan View Post

…first dump Java from your mac. Don't use Safari, use Google Crome as they have Java built in…

I'm confused. So use Java?

…oh and get rid of Flash, another wasted resource.

You're using Chrome. You're using Flash.

• Reply 13 of 19
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member

Quote:

There is a simple fix, first dump Java from your mac. Don't use Safari, use Google Crome as they have Java built in (sandboxed). If concerned about your bookmarks then use "Xmarks"

I've been doing it this way for months, works perfect, oh and get rid of Flash, another wasted resource. Have a nice Java free day!

You are mistaking Java with Flash. Chrome has Flash built in, not Java. In fact, the new Java 7 doesn't even work with Chrome (on Mac), so you actually would be dumping Java. But if you're using Chrome, you're using Flash, too. Nice try, though.

• Reply 14 of 19
    tosamantosaman Posts: 2member

Chrome has Java built in, don't bother asking me how or why all I know is that Java is part of Google Crome.  When Crome is updates so are the components that

allow Java to function within Chrome ONLY.  Also Crome has it's own version of Flash, read this: http://tidbits.com/article/13545

My current version of Google Crome is: 25.0.1364.99

Bottom line is all I know it works!  (Mac OSX 10.8.2)

• Reply 15 of 19
    ash471ash471 Posts: 705member

Quote:

Unfortunately the USPTO website uses java for its private login.  Therefore, all patent attorneys have to have access to Java.

• Reply 16 of 19
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member

Quote:

Chrome has Java built in, don't bother asking me how or why all I know is that Java is part of Google Crome.

Chrome does not have Java built in. You're probably using the Apple supplied Java 6 on your computer.

• Reply 17 of 19
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    macxpress wrote: »
    Both Adobe and Oracle really need to get their shit together. This is absolutely ridiculous!

Don't hold your breath. The industry loves to claim exemption from accountability by claiming complexity and bugs as "normal."
  • Reply 18 of 19
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    ash471 wrote: »
    Unfortunately the USPTO website uses java for its private login.  Therefore, all patent attorneys have to have access to Java.

Government websites are the worst of all. Just about 20 minutes ago I sent a notice to a local government website to tell them that the page I was on had a link to a Japanese page instead of my borough's website. On top of that, the text box for the subject of the message considered a comma to be a "special character", AND the length was limited to a ridiculously short character limit. And on top of that, the message text box behaved really badly on my iPhone.

I've never found government websites to be even slightly reasonable; forget sensible. Whatever the java requirement is for the USPTO site, I bet you it's about "secure log in," yet the java product itself is fundamentally insecure and a major failure point. Plus, I've yet to use a single java applet or program that didn't feel slow, look ugly, and fail to operate with any sense of normality in context to the OS it was run on and the purpose it supposedly provided.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    http://m.tuaw.com/2012/10/22/java-7-and-chrome-dont-play-well-together/

This covers most of the relevant information. Basically, you only need java if you NEED java, and if you do, your browser will tell you, or a specific application will (otherwise, don't install the plugin.)