Apple to announce 'iPhone 5S' in June alongside low-cost fiberglass and plastic handset, analyst say

Comments

• Reply 21 of 51
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Apple has also been working with Liquid Metal for a long time and I'm wondering when that material is going to rear it's head, if ever. 

iPhone 3G, Sim card ejector, that's liquid metal. But if you mean that an entire product or entire outer shell has not yet been made from the material and used in a product, then that would be correct.

The inventor of liquid metal said in 2012 that Apple was still years away from using it in mass production in large products.

• Reply 22 of 51
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The Surface tells us it isn't. image

And the dancing morons don't seem to be helping it much either. I really can't stand those commercials. 

• Reply 23 of 51
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Apple does have a patent for a special mfg process involving carbon fiber.  I'm not suggesting that this will be the chosen material, but it's possible.  Apple has also been working with Liquid Metal for a long time and I'm wondering when that material is going to rear it's head, if ever. Polycarbonate is a likely material if they decide to make a lower priced model, because of mfg costs.  I personally hope they come out with a larger screen ala 4.5 inch.  That's about the biggest I would probably use.  I don't know if I would use anything much larger than that.

I guess I was thinking it might be something different than just a cheap iPhone.  Or at least I'd like it to be something not so obvious, and something that wouldn't be easy fodder for the "analysts" to say Apple should have done a year earlier.  Apple didn't move to plastic to make a cheaper iPad so why would they have to do that with a phone?  And is manufacturing a phone out of plastic that much cheaper than using aluminum or something else?

• Reply 24 of 51
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member

Remember the whole thing with the iPhone 5 where they had to make 725 different inlays of glass for the iPhone5 to fit exactly into the metal casing? 

The chamfered edge that became so fussy to no ding during assembly?

http://www.apple.com/iphone/design/

They don't have to go bargain-basement, they just need a model that isn't trying to be phone-jewelry.

The hardest part about the two models will differentiating them as unique value propositions, not "the fancy one" and "the cheap one". That's more about product strategy though, not manufacturing ability. 

• Reply 25 of 51
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I almost wish this were true. It would be interesting to see how Wall Street uses the release of a lower cost phone to hammer Apple's stock even lower. Anyone want to take a guess on which one would win?

1. Apple suffers margin compression from lower cost phone.

2. Apple has to introduce lower cost phone because sales of high end phones are failing to meet {inflated} expectations.

3. Apple's $299 phone isn't cheap enough. They need to sell one for $99.95.

4. Sure, it's low cost, but it's not as good as the iPhone 5S, so it's doomed to fail.

Ha! Yeah you've got it pretty well covered. Probably still a couple you've missed. image

• Reply 26 of 51
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoyaleWitCheez1 View Post

LTE standard! iPhone 5S and the S is for "Special"

If all those rumors surrounding the Galaxy S4 turn out to be true, with unlock via facial recognition and smart scrolling controlled by eye movement, the S is going to be for "Stagnant" as in what the iPhone has become with each revision. Maybe I'm greedy, but I miss the days when the iPhone was the trailblazer, and everyone else played catchup. Judging by recent stock behavior, apparently the investors agree with that feeling. I really hope Tim has something more than an S up his sleeve this summer, both as a consumer and a shareholder.

• Reply 27 of 51
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

If all those rumors surrounding the Galaxy S4 turn out to be true, with unlock via facial recognition and smart scrolling controlled by eye movement, the S is going to be for "Stagnant" as in what the iPhone has become with each revision.

S stands for "Doesn't put useless gimmicks in a flagship device". 

• Reply 28 of 51
    richard getzrichard getz Posts: 1,142member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Kuo calculates that subsidies could cover the entire device cost with a two-year contract, making the low-cost iPhone

I thought the iPhone 4 was already FREE with 2-year contract? If the 4 *is* free with contract, why can't the 4s be free when the 5s is out? Why does it need to go plastic? 

I say they move the 4s as free with contract. 

Not saying it never happened, but I don't remember when Apple make a current product change to lower quality materials? 

• Reply 29 of 51
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

If all those rumors surrounding the Galaxy S4 turn out to be true, with unlock via facial recognition and smart scrolling controlled by eye movement, the S is going to be for "Stagnant" as in what the iPhone has become with each revision. Maybe I'm greedy, but I miss the days when the iPhone was the trailblazer, and everyone else played catchup. Judging by recent stock behavior, apparently the investors agree with that feeling. I really hope Tim has something more than an S up his sleeve this summer, both as a consumer and a shareholder.

Maybe you should you can stop for a second and consider if these "features" are actually useful and reliable for the average consumer,  instead of mindlessly desiring flashy buletpoints. Scroll with eye-movement? Really? My eyes dart all over the place when using my iPhone, I sure as **** wouldn't want that.Remember all the hype about the S3 monitoring your eyes? Not a single person I know who owns the phone uses, or even knows about the feature. It's epically useless. Unlocking via facial recognition? Sure, if implemented correctly, but again, I know a few people who have the Nexus 4, who used it a few times a gimmick, then never again, because its unreliable. Unlike you, I don't want Apple to make product decisions based on appeasing the stock. The day they do that, they're doomed. Analysts/investors have shown repeatedly they're utterly clueless about what makes a good product, and what the right strategy is going forward, so I couldn't give 2 shits about what they want Apple to do. I'm an investor, but I have enough humility to aknowledge that the people working at Apple are much smarter than me, and more insightful as to making decisions in this space. The iPhone is still a trailblazer in all the things that actually matter: Reliability, stability, build quality, ecosystem, responsiveness, screen quality, app quality/quantity, support, etc. Do Samsung phones have poorly implemented, barely used gimmicks simply for the sake of marketing? Sure. Does that mean they're 'trailbalzers'? No, it doesn't. 

• Reply 30 of 51
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    This...again...ugh!
  • Reply 31 of 51
    ovipovip Posts: 3member
    I think he is too bearish on his iPhone estimates.
  • Reply 32 of 51
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member

" It should be noted that AppleInsider is unable to vouch for the veracity of the analysts statements and offers the following information for purposes of discussion only."

lol

tftfy

• Reply 33 of 51
    lw9957lw9957 Posts: 2member

Is this going to be 4.8 inch or 5 inch?

if not, apple might lose people to Samsung. It you ever go to an AT&T store, hold a 4.8 inch phone in yr hand, you know whtat I mean.

strange, such an obvious thing takes apple forever to understand!! Apple loses in screen size. Average people won't pay too much attention to finger print login or speed... Screen size is it!!

Also Samsung can plug in sd cards.

Apple is purely arrogant , if not slow. Their product managers should be sacked.

• Reply 34 of 51
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lw9957 View Post

Is this going to be 4.8 inch or 5 inch?

if not, apple might lose people to Samsung. It you ever go to an AT&T store, hold a 4.8 inch phone in yr hand, you know whtat I mean.

strange, such an obvious thing takes apple forever to understand!! Apple loses in screen size. Average people won't pay too much attention to finger print login or speed... Screen size is it!!

Apple is purely arrogant , if not slow. Their product managers should be sacked.

Just once, I'd like to read an intelligent introductory post, rather than this shit. I like how you manage to conflate screensizes, and SD cards with arrogance. I'm pretty sure Apple's manager are infinitely smarter than you'll ever hope to be, as they've contributed to making Apple the most successful company on the planet, sd card or not. Also, almost 50 million iPhones were sold last quarter, which means there's a shitload of people who don't want a 5 inch phone. Go sack yourself before you get hurt. 

• Reply 35 of 51
    poksipoksi Posts: 482member

Apple managers are not infinitely smarter even from the stupidest person in the world. THis is math...

THere are plenty of the people wanting just 4" phone, which is fine. But I see those people are not young people any more. Young people tend to use larger screens, because their primary device to access internet has become smartphone in last year. Apple hasn't follow them. Samsung actually introduced the concept, although they didn't act upon smart analytical decision, they just stroke luck and continued.

You introduce the product to the market in one version, you lead the market with range. Why have Apple listened with iPad. Finally and with great success. Why is Apple offering 3 notebook lines with 3 (down from 4) screen sizes?

iPhone 5 screen size, or even better: the absence of a second version with larger screen is the biggest flop Apple has done since putting Scully on the board. Adding second line to most crucial company's product after 6 year is nothing more than failure. 

• Reply 36 of 51
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    I thought the iPhone 4 was already FREE with 2-year contract? If the 4 *is* free with contract, why can't the 4s be free when the 5s is out? Why does it need to go plastic? 

Not saying it never happened, but I don't remember when Apple make a current product change to lower quality materials? 

Just keep in mind that "free with contract" is not the same as "free". It's not even the same as "low cost".
  • Reply 37 of 51
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Seems credible, plausible, and a good and sensible direction for Apple.

QED, the market will ignore it and focus on some baseless supply issue rumour and the stock will drop by another 10 points.

• Reply 38 of 51
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

Free with expensive contract and free with cheap contract are different propositions.  And a cheaper phone for the unlocked sim-only or PAYG markets could have a big effect.

• Reply 39 of 51
    srangersranger Posts: 473member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jakeb View Post

A fiberglass phone?

It might be Kevlar not fiberglass.  Many people say fiberglass as a generic term.  Some of the Motorola Phones use Kevlar and they are

very durable and light weight....

• Reply 40 of 51
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Lw9957 View Post

if not, apple might lose people to Samsung.

Don't worry; they won't.

It you ever go to an AT&T store, hold a 4.8 inch phone in yr hand, you know whtat I mean.

Yep, it's just about the stupidest thing you can imagine.

strange, such an obvious thing takes apple forever to understand!!

Probably because they don't misunderstand it.

Apple loses in screen size.

No.

Screen size is it!!

No.

Whoop-de-fricking-frick. Not a single person cares.

Originally Posted by poksi View Post

Samsung actually introduced the concept…

Not quite.

Quote:

Why have Apple listened with iPad.

I assume you mean "lead". Because they made the 10" version first, not the stupid small one first. 

You'll notice they continue to lead for years after others made their "range", as you claim.

iPhone 5 screen size, or even better: the absence of a second version with larger screen is the biggest flop Apple has done since putting Scully on the board. Adding second line to most crucial company's product after 6 year is nothing more than failure. 

Abject nonsense. This crap needs to be deletable.