Verizon CFO lauds iPhone, says no plans to incentivize selling rival low-subsidy handsets

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 56
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    galore2112 wrote: »
    Sure, there's a good chance that Apple will continue to be super successful. But if you are responsible for a LOT of money, chances are you'll invest in something a bit less volatile right now. The 10+ years of success were on a much smaller level than from 2007 (more like 2008) on. And there was the visionary Steve Jobs. And there was no real competition in 2008, 2009, 2010 for the iPhone.

Now you have extreme competition in the smart phone space and an unproven CEO at Apple. And other massive changes at the executive level. And a relatively stagnant differentiator with their mobile OS, which was light years ahead during the mega growth years but is arguably a bit unimaginative lately.

And yet Apple still has 70% of the mobile profits and still sells record numbers of iDevices.

Are you telling me no execs left during Jobs tenure?
  • Reply 42 of 56
    jungmark wrote: »
    And yet Apple still has 70% of the mobile profits and still sells record numbers of iDevices.

Are you telling me no execs left during Jobs tenure?

No. But you can't deny that the change in iOS leadership was extraordinary.

From a stock future point of view, the current 70% share in profits are a liability because it's more likely to shrink than grow, given the vastly improved competition.
  • Reply 43 of 56
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

This is getting so old that we can smell it across the internet.

Hey, we stopped the return crowd from saying it about new product releases. We pushed so hard that we managed to lower into complete ridicule the serious posting of that stuff.

I personally figure this will work in a broader scale. Eventually people will shut up about the stock price and "failed" leadership because even they won't want to appear that stupid.

• Reply 44 of 56
    joshajosha Posts: 901member

Quote:

Originally Posted by forangels View Post

Any positive news doesn't help at this point. This is probably the most scrutinized stock ever, and almost all the pundits are wrong. Wall Street will never understand Apple, also Apples justifiable secret habits make all the big hedge fund managers very nervous. In a short time from now they will jump on board again, late out of the gate. Take a look at that Greenlight shumck, from what I understand he didn't get in till it was in the 500s. Let all the joyriders go, those of us in it for the long run and do know Apple will be handsomely rewarded.

Right on.

Warren Buffett said Apple should just ignore the hedge fund and others BS and continue doing their successful thing.

http://bgr.com/2013/03/04/warren-buffett-apple-advice-359185/

WARREN BUFFETT’S ADVICE TO APPLE: IGNORE WALL STREET NOISE

• Reply 45 of 56
    mstone wrote: »
    It bears mentioning that much of the $1500 you refer to goes to building towers, which Verizon has more than any other carrier, as well as all the back haul infrastructure, stores, employees, taxes, legal fees, advertising, and many other necessary expenditures. I guess those things don't occur to people who have never had a real job. They just see that $1500 as pure profit in the pockets of the greedy corporation.

I know exactly what Verizon's income is used for.

My point was... Verizon might get $1500 over 2 years from an iPhone activation... or maybe $1700 from a non-iPhone activation...

But is that extra couple hundred dollars worth it if the person really wanted an iPhone but instead they got talked into a phone they didn't want?

BTW... I'm 35 years old and I know how the world works :) and I know customer satisfaction is very important to Verizon as well.

You could say Verizon is ignoring "extra" money when they sell someone an iPhone... but it sounds like Verizon wants to keep their customers happy.
  • Reply 46 of 56
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

I know exactly what Verizon's income is used for.

My point was... Verizon might get $1500 over 2 years from an iPhone activation... or maybe $1700 from a non-iPhone activation...

But is that extra couple hundred dollars worth it if the person really wanted an iPhone but instead they got talked into a phone they didn't want?

BTW... I'm 35 years old and I know how the world works image and I know customer satisfaction is very important to Verizon as well.

You could say Verizon is ignoring "extra" money when they sell someone an iPhone... but it sounds like Verizon wants to keep their customers happy.

Sorry I guess I misunderstood your remark "The customer gets the "free" iPhone 4 they want... and Verizon gets tons of money."

• Reply 47 of 56
    Sorry I guess I misunderstood your remark "<span style="background-color:rgb(241,241,241);color:rgb(24,24,24);font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:18px;">The customer gets the "free" iPhone 4 they want... and Verizon gets tons of money."</span>

Yeah... I meant both parties are happy. :)

You're right... some of that money gets rolled back into the network... but carriers are usually left with plenty of profit.
  • Reply 48 of 56
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    galore2112 wrote: »
    No. But you can't deny that the change in iOS leadership was extraordinary.

From a stock future point of view, the current 70% share in profits are a liability because it's more likely to shrink than grow, given the vastly improved competition.

Sometimes change is good. Like you said, some people are tired of iOS. Not me, though.

It's only a liability if it shrinks along with the market. The market isn't shrinking.
  • Reply 49 of 56

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Sorry I guess I misunderstood your remark "The customer gets the "free" iPhone 4 they want... and Verizon gets tons of money."

Yeah... I meant both parties are happy. image

You're right... some of that money gets rolled back into the network... but carriers are usually left with plenty of profit.

Quote:

From CNBC:

Jan 22, 2013 – Verizon shares dropped in pre-open trading after the company reported a fourth- quarter loss per share of $1.48.

• Reply 50 of 56
    From CNBC:
    Jan 22, 2013 – Verizon shares dropped in pre-open trading after the company reported a fourth- quarter loss per share of $1.48.

I think that's the big Verizon... not specifically Verizon Wireless.

But it's still shocking news. Verizon had $30 BILLION in revenue last quarter... but they made ZERO dollars in profit?

How the hell does that even happen?
  • Reply 51 of 56

Quote:

But it's still shocking news. Verizon had $30 BILLION in revenue last quarter... but they made ZERO dollars in profit?

I believe there is only one Verizon: NYSE: VZ

I think it had to do with Hurricane Sandy. You get a disaster like that and a lot of profits go down the drain or up in smoke as you have to completely rebuild your entire infrastructure from the ground up in one of the most heavily saturated markets.

• Reply 52 of 56
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

File this under "DUH"

Even if Verizon has to write a $450 check to Apple to subsidize the iPhone 4... Verizon still ends up with around $1500 over the life of that contract.

The customer gets the "free" iPhone 4 they want... and Verizon gets tons of money.

I don't know why this is such a shock.

$1500 minus costs.

You think network equipment costs nothing, needs no one to service and maintain it and runs on air, that phones deliver, store, service and sell themselves?

I'm sick of this naive argument, even people buying outright handsets still have to cover usage costs unless they just want paperweights.

• Reply 53 of 56

Quote:

...because people don't like working for free.

• Reply 54 of 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshA View Post

WARREN BUFFETT’S ADVICE TO APPLE: IGNORE WALL STREET NOISE

Just like Steve Jobs advised, since the earliest days.

• Reply 55 of 56
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    I believe there is only one Verizon: NYSE: VZ

I think it had to do with Hurricane Sandy. You get a disaster like that and a lot of profits go down the drain or up in smoke as you have to completely rebuild your entire infrastructure from the ground up in one of the most heavily saturated markets.

There is one Verizon corporation... but there are different divisions inside it:

Wireless
    Land line phone
    DSL
    FIOS
    etc...

Wireless can make money... while the land line division loses money. That happens quite often in huge corporations.
  • Reply 56 of 56
    michael scripmichael scrip Posts: 1,916member
    hill60 wrote: »
    $1500 minus costs.

You think network equipment costs nothing, needs no one to service and maintain it and runs on air, that phones deliver, store, service and sell themselves?

I'm sick of this naive argument, even people buying outright handsets still have to cover usage costs unless they just want paperweights.

No doubt there are costs... I never said there weren't.

But I don't think every single penny of people's monthly wireless fees get poured back into employees wages and infrastructure.

If they do... how is that sustainable? Do we really think wireless carriers are running at break-even?

Verizon Wireless has 40% profit margin... that doesn't sound like break-even at all.