iOS apps leak more personal data than do Android apps - report

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Really? What is the 'opportunity'? 

"Appthority found that it was iOS apps that are allowed to engage in more risky behaviors."

" iOS apps get more access to user data,"

It doesn't mean they actually do those things.

Why do your posts somehow seem like they're apologia for the moron brigade? 

Even when someone tries to defend iOS. it goes right over your head.

Reading comprehension is a lost art with some people.

• Reply 22 of 32
    eksodoseksodos Posts: 186member
    hmm
  • Reply 23 of 32
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member

Quote:

Originally Posted by eksodos View Post

Android does do a pretty good job telling you exactly what data an app is requesting from you before you install them from the Play Store. iOS doesn't tell you a thing really. You just have to hope nothing bad is going on in the background.

I refuse to install apps on my phone that requests access to stuff they just can't justify needing. i.e. why should a flashlight app need access to my phone number, my gps location, etc.? Android tells me the author is going to take this data so I can move onto looking for an alternative application before I ever install it.

Of course most people don't give a crap about this stuff and install these apps on their phone anyway. It's frightening how many apps that are gathering all this data get 5 star reviews on the play store.

It's shocking how much information is being given away willingly by people who obviously don't care about their privacy. Google and the ad networks make billions from this information yet people give it up for free.

Encryption is a red herring. Did you make a secure https connection to AppleInsider? Of course not. Most of what everyone does on the web every day is not encrypted so why should data going to/from a free app be?

Like most others I wonder how they came up with these results when most Android apps can't even be installed unless you grant permission to do pretty much anything. Don't like the data it's asking for? You can't install the app.

On Android any app can monitor the phone and see who you call and who calls you. I brought up the issue with some experienced Android devs I know and they confirmed that there's no way to prevent an app from accessing that data if it wants to.

On the release of purchase data:

To Google you're buying a product from a developer who is therefore entitled to know who you are. A fair viewpoint.

To Apple you're buying a product from them so your real name, address, credit card, etc. is not sent to app developers. Also a fair viewpoint.

At the end of the day even if Android apps were prevented from leaking any data, absolutely everything you do on an Android device is still being tracked by Google, a company that makes its money selling information. Apple, on the other hand, makes its money selling hardware. I know which company I'd rather have tracking my every move.

• Reply 24 of 32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

At the end of the day even if Android apps were prevented from leaking any data, absolutely everything you do on an Android device is still being tracked by Google, a company that makes its money selling information. Apple, on the other hand, makes its money selling hardware. I know which company I'd rather have tracking my every move.

Good post up until this last paragraph, with "everything you do on an Android device is still being tracked by Google".

Android itself has no tracking built into it.

Google tags interests for advertising when you're using their apps, whether they're running on Android or iOS or a Mac or a PC.  And as constantly pointed out, they do not sell information.  They sell ad placements based on the info.

Likewise, Apple tags interests for advertising when we use iTunes or the App Store, and likewise sells ad placements.

• Reply 25 of 32
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

Quote:

Really? What is the 'opportunity'? 

"Appthority found that it was iOS apps that are allowed to engage in more risky behaviors."

" iOS apps get more access to user data,"

.....Reading comprehension is a lost art with some people.

Yeah, talk about a lost art. Let me break it down for you.

"What is the 'opportunity'" ? 'Opportunity to do what'? 

So, let me ask again, opportunity to do what? On whose part? Apple's? Or on the part of the user who makes the choice? If the former, are you implying Apple is being devious/evil here? If the latter, wouldn't it be moronic on their part to not take into account the fact that the information they (willingly) agree to provide could be used for other purposes?

• Reply 26 of 32

Quote:

So, let me ask again, opportunity to do what? On whose part? Apple's? Or on the part of the user who makes the choice? If the former, are you implying Apple is being devious/evil here? If the latter, wouldn't it be moronic on their part to not take into account the fact that the information they (willingly) agree to provide could be used for other purposes?

Okay, for example:

One of the things that the report talked about (I assume you read the report, right?) is the number of apps which accessed the user's calendar.

That was reported as risky behavior (aka an opportunity to misuse the info), even if  the app didn't actually do anything bad with it.

That's why I pointed out that:

"... it doesn't necessarily mean anything bad is going on.  It's just that the opportunity is there."

• Reply 27 of 32
    hftshfts Posts: 386member
    kdarling wrote: »
    <span style="color:rgb(24,24,24);font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:18.1875px;">"Appthority found that it was iOS apps that are allowed to engage in more risky behaviors."</span>

<span style="color:rgb(24,24,24);font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:18.1875px;">"</span>
    <span style="color:rgb(24,24,24);font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:18.1875px;"> iOS apps get more access to user data,"</span>

<span style="color:rgb(24,24,24);font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:18.1875px;">It doesn't mean they actually do those things.</span>

<span style="line-height:1.231;">Even when someone tries to defend iOS. it goes right over your head.</span>

Really? Insulting people again, you are good at that. What educational qualifications do you have? What makes you better than all others. You are pathetic and come across as a smarmy know it all.
    I think my educational qualifications exceed yours.
  • Reply 28 of 32
    hftshfts Posts: 386member
    Bullshit
    kdarling wrote: »
    Good post up until this last paragraph, with<span style="line-height:1.231;"> "</span>
    <span style="line-height:1.231;background-color:rgb(241,241,241);">everything you do on an Android device is still being tracked by Google".</span>

Android itself has no tracking built into it.

<span style="line-height:1.231;">Google tags interests for advertising when you're using their apps, whether they're running on Android or iOS or a Mac or a PC.  And as constantly pointed out, they do not sell information.  They sell ad placements based on the info.</span>

Likewise, Apple tags interests for advertising when we use iTunes or the App Store, and likewise sells ad placements.
    Bullshit
    Gmail scans your personal emails is this not a form of tracking?
    Man U are full of shit today
    Didn't you get a duck last night?
  • Reply 29 of 32
    taniwhataniwha Posts: 347member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hfts View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

"

iOS apps get more access to user data,"

It doesn't mean they actually do those things.

Even when someone tries to defend iOS. it goes right over your head.

Really? Insulting people again, you are good at that. What educational qualifications do you have? What makes you better than all others. You are pathetic and come across as a smarmy know it all.

I think my educational qualifications exceed yours.

An educated idiot is still an idiot. Is an idiot with a certificate (for something) a certified idiot ?

• Reply 30 of 32
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Not brilliant, but surely it should mainly be the apps that are named and shamed, not Apple/Google?

Would be good if Apple instituted a new rule for apps that they need to encrypt any of personal data that already requires permission to access.

• Reply 31 of 32
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Would be good if Apple instituted a new rule for apps that they need to encrypt any of personal data that already requires permission to access.

As long as Apple had an API built up for developers to do that before they made it a requirement, I don't see a problem.

• Reply 32 of 32
    This is all very interesting but where is the detail? Looking at the actual report they mention that the majority is from Entertainment Apps, here the blur starts between what you are going to allow in work time and breaks etc.. The more that BYOD becomes a reality in the workplace, the greater the need for scrutiny on what you allow these devices to access in the workplace. Any company that goes down the BYOD route has to be prepared to give up control over access to secure data unless you have appropriate sandboxing in place on your workplace apps. No matter which platform you use, if you are running a business, policies need to be in place for what you allow to exist on on a BYOD device that may store confidential data. From a outside of work point of view, lots of people now do online banking using their phones / apps. I would love to know which apps are putting my data at risk, lets be given the facts please!