With Apple's iPad besting Windows 8, Microsoft slashes prices & alters tactics

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48
    jaaycojaayco Posts: 46member

Wouldn't it make sense to spend the billion dollars to do the one thing I think everyone would agree might promote sales - reducing the price well below the iPad? I'm not convinced Windows 8 Tablets are great, but they wouldn't need to be if they were $100+ less than the equivalent iPad. The "advertising" would be people walking around using them, and others going "wow - what's that".

Of course this theory only really works if at least some people are impressed when they see the tablet in real world use.

• Reply 22 of 48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I just hope that the billion dollar ad campaign money is soon used up, because I'm getting mighty tired of seeing those ridiculous commercials whenever I'm watching a series on TV that I follow (like the Walking Dead). The money has got to be used up soon right?

These Windows hybrid/frankenstein contraptions were doomed to fail from the start. Many people saw this coming.

Tivo/DVR is your friend... fast forward... :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

I'm a tech guy. I have met no one that like Windows 8. I've even been paid to downgrade peoples new laptops from Windows 8 to Windows 7. Microsoft can't see outside of Ballmer's bubble.

If Microsoft is going to survive, they need to get rid of Ballmer and promote the XBox division.

I am with you on that.  Been IT for over nearly 2 decades.  And even I hate win8... Had one of my lawyers take back his PC and went and got a MAC, he hated it that much only after 3 day's.  Also, Stardock does make a nice little program that puts the start button back with it's old win7 menu.  Major item to make it bareable to work on 8 when you have to.  Just sayin...

Topic - And who did not see this coming?  Well besides them?  I mean it was not rocket science, hell it was not even checkers, and the still got it wrong.  When you only have ad's that show nothing of the product, it's details, or any other tech spec's, you really expect to sell it?  Your not Apple... oh wait, they actually give you the details, and when they say a 64GB system they really mean 64GBish usable.  

• Reply 23 of 48
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    nagromme wrote: »
    In addition to small, touch-enabled laptops, I hope they have small, padded baskets you can set behind your desk to catch them when the tumble off.

(Just kidding. I know there are solutions. This is the best I've seen: http://www.logitech.com/en-us/support/ultrathin-keyboard-cover )

Bold-Italics Above: you by chance weren't making reference to the poor soul's experience with MS Customer Service post on ArsTechnica: WinRT Is A Lemon, now would you.
    I am beyond furious with the customer service I have received over a dropped Surface RT. It was supposed covered by the accidental damage policy but I've been told will not be repaired/replaced without anyone explaining why. I now have a $900 paperweight as a reminder to never buy hardware from Microsoft. I've documented the whole sordid tale here: http://sdrv.ms/14asNkO
  • Reply 24 of 48
    drandeldrandel Posts: 28member
    The hardware isn't bad--some better than others, but a thumbs-up for the most part. I think the issue is simply that people don't like (or they hate) Windows 8. Not EVERYBODY, of course. There are the Win fanboys just like the Mac fanboys.

I'd love to see PC Mag run a poll: "So ... after all the hoopla, what do you think of Windows 8?"
  • Reply 25 of 48
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member

Quote:

Originally Posted by HawkBlade View Post

I am with you on that.  Been IT for over nearly 2 decades.  And even I hate win8... Had one of my lawyers take back his PC and went and got a MAC, he hated it that much only after 3 day's.  Also, Stardock does make a nice little program that puts the start button back with it's old win7 menu.  Major item to make it bareable to work on 8 when you have to.  Just sayin...

Just spoke with a friend in marketing who has used MS Windows for years, and he echoed the same sentiments.  Bought a laptop preloaded with Win8, WebEx doesn't work for him (not MS' fault, but still a big issue for many), frustrated by the lack of a start menu (finally found Stardock), and is annoyed that he's likely going to have to pay for a downgrade to Win7 in the interim in order to get work done.

I simply don't understand why Microsoft foisted the whole 'tile' interface onto people using traditional computers (when it mainly only makes sense on tablets) and didn't give an option to get the old start menu back.  It's a real pain to figure out how to launch applications which don't have a tile associated with them.

With Apple, they did bring the iOS style interface to Mac via Launchpad, but they still support the traditional ways to launch apps (using the Dock, desktop shortcuts, or Finder).  I personally prefer the Dock myself.

• Reply 26 of 48
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by HawkBlade View Post

Tivo/DVR is your friend... fast forward... :)

The only times that it's hard to fast forward, is when somebody is watching it live.

• Reply 27 of 48
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    Well Windows Reign is over, and there high prices have been slashed to compete with Apples OS X latest prices yet to get it worth it they would need it about $8(matches with windows $8) vs apple who will kill windows.
  • Reply 28 of 48
    daharderdaharder Posts: 1,580member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

I'm a tech guy. I have met no one that like Windows 8. I've even been paid to downgrade peoples new laptops from Windows 8 to Windows 7. Microsoft can't see outside of Ballmer's bubble.

If Microsoft is going to survive, they need to get rid of Ballmer and promote the XBox division.

Hmmmm... Interesting that such a 'tech guy' didn't simply install Pokki, or one of the other Windows 8 UI (start button) options and set it to boot directly into Windows 7 compatibility mode?

HINT: It's the Live Tile that looks like a small Windows 7 desktop that's featured on every new Windows 8 device's home screen.

My mother-in-law was hesitant to use Windows 8 Modern UI at first, so that's what I did for her until she finally decided that she really liked Windows 8's Modern UI Live Tiles better, especially since her new computer has a touchscreen.

Anyway... Windows 8 has proven to be an extremely versatile computing environment, as it's exponentially more capable, versatile, and touch-friendly (read: Future Proof) than anything that has ever come before.

To. Each. Their. Own.

• Reply 29 of 48
    Repeat after me Mr. Ballmer: "Firesale". :-)
  • Reply 30 of 48

"Microsoft slashes prices & alters tactics"

Isn't that Microsoft's mission statement?

• Reply 31 of 48
    pdq2pdq2 Posts: 270member

Originally Posted by blakecoverett 

I am beyond furious with the customer service I have received over a dropped Surface RT. It was supposed covered by the accidental damage policy but I've been told will not be repaired/replaced without anyone explaining why. I now have a $900 paperweight as a reminder to never buy hardware from Microsoft. I've documented the whole sordid tale here: http://sdrv.ms/14asNkO

Second time I've seen this referred to today. I'm not sure which is more ridiculous- this guy buying a $150 insurance policy for his Surface _after_ he dropped it and broke the LCD screen, and expecting to get a new unit...

or this Microsoft coverage that pretty clearly suggests that he was entitled to one, and their lame response. 

MSFT is _such_ a mess these days....

• Reply 32 of 48
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Hmmmm... Interesting that such a 'tech guy' didn't simply install Pokki, or one of the other Windows 8 UI (start button) options and set it to boot directly into Windows 7 compatibility mode?

HINT: It's the Live Tile that looks like a small Windows 7 desktop that's featured on every new Windows 8 device's home screen.

I used Windows 8 RTM extensively for a week (to port an app over) and didn't see anything like that.  I did see (and use) the desktop tile a lot.  I also learned that I could use the desktop search option to find all of the hidden applications I needed (not surprisingly, they don't have a live tile for the Command Prompt).  But the option to boot into Windows 7 compatibility mode is certainly not obvious.  Where exactly is that?

• Reply 33 of 48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I just hope that the billion dollar ad campaign money is soon used up, because I'm getting mighty tired of seeing those ridiculous commercials whenever I'm watching a series on TV that I follow (like the Walking Dead). The money has got to be used up soon right?

These Windows hybrid/frankenstein contraptions were doomed to fail from the start. Many people saw this coming.

WinRT is the walking dead. 

• Reply 34 of 48
    srangersranger Posts: 473member

I have a recovery plan for Microsoft.....

The board needs to listen intently to Balmer and then do the exact opposite of anything he says....

• Reply 35 of 48

Windows 8 is actually what Vista was supposed to be ( Performance and compability features minus the tablet version features). Vista was flawed and Windows 7 was only a patch to fix the Vista issues.

• Reply 36 of 48

I think apple should take over Microsoft...and rename it to fiji apple.

• Reply 37 of 48
    wonkothesanewonkothesane Posts: 1,723member
    Bold-Italics Above: you by chance weren't making reference to the poor soul's experience with MS Customer Service post on ArsTechnica: WinRT Is A Lemon, now would you.

Wow. That's truly bold "service".
  • Reply 38 of 48

I'm just happy that MS is failing at this. For my own selfish reasons I hope the company loses tons of money. I paid for Vista as part of a computer purchase. If you've used Vista you probably understand my residual anger towards MS. If MS paid me $200 as an apology I might get over my hatred for them.

I've read reviews and watched video reviews of Windows 8. It seems that some people like it. What they all say is that the controls are inconsistent across programs and within the system. Microsoft is killing itself despite the effort to make something wonderful. Good intentions don't equate to good implementation.

Long Live LInux!

• Reply 39 of 48
    hftshfts Posts: 386member
    daharder wrote: »

My mother-in-law was hesitant to use Windows 8 Modern UI at first, so that's what I did for her until she finally decided that she really liked Windows 8's Modern UI Live Tiles better, especially since her new computer has a touchscreen.

Anyway... Windows 8 has proven to be an extremely versatile computing environment, as it's exponentially more capable, versatile, and touch-friendly (read: Future Proof) than anything that has ever come before.

To. Each. Their. Own.
    Believe it or not I actually agree with you.
    See I'm rational, hopefully this will catch on.
  • Reply 40 of 48
    jackzigjackzig Posts: 20member
    Beside Windows 8 being a lousy OS. Has anyone noticed how bad the ads are pushing the Surface or whatever they call it. Who thought those ads were good? Break-dancing on desks and snapping fingers, jeeze terrible.