Apple's iPhone accounts for two thirds of smartphones watching Web videos, report says

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    i think this includes iPad.
  • Reply 22 of 28
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by OllieWallieWhiskers View Post

i think this includes iPad.

Both articles say "phones", so we'll have to go off of that.

• Reply 23 of 28
    quest01quest01 Posts: 69member
    This doesn't really surprise me, majority of android users tend to use phones that don't have the processor capability to properly stream videos on YouTube or vimeo. Many of the iphone models even the iPhone 4 play videos in better quality than many of the high end android phones.
  • Reply 24 of 28

Quote:

Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

Is this phone network, wifi or both? I would guess that a lot of android users have very basic data plans vs a lot of iPhone users having unlimited plans. Both my kids have Nexus 7 tablets and while they may not browse the web in traditional sense, via a browser, the 2 tablets get a lot of use.

Are you sure you're not holding them back with inferior equipment? :)

I got my daughter a MB, original iPhone, first iPad and on and on.

She just graduated from Med. school. 250 on her step 2.

• Reply 25 of 28

Quote:

Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Are you sure you're not holding them back with inferior equipment? :)

I got my daughter a MB, original iPhone, first iPad and on and on.

She just graduated from Med. school. 250 on her step 2.

If your daughter just graduated med school, it's unlikely she had any tablet when she was the same age as my kids. :-)

• Reply 26 of 28

Quote:

Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

If your daughter just graduated med school, it's unlikely she had any tablet when she was the same age as my kids. :-)

Good point! :) I just reread my orig. post and it's not as funny as I thought it was when I wrote it. Sorry! :)

• Reply 27 of 28
    That states the quality of the platform
  • Reply 28 of 28
    nairbnairb Posts: 253member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frood View Post

This data settles it.  iPhone users are clearly superior mobile video watchers.

Got it in one.

In our family, my son, the youngest, has a feature phone. He watches more online videos than the rest of the family combined. Everyone else has a smartphone.

With regards Ooyala, the reason most have not heard of them is because they are a behind the scenes company. They do the hosting and streaming for many other companies that embed video into their sites. Some big tabloid journalism outlets are clients.

According to their site, these 200 million unique users a month are total visitors, not smart phone visitors. I can't find what percentage of these are smartphone users, but number of smart phone requests accesses to videos on sites hosted doubled in 2012.