Samsung spent $68M more than Apple on 2012 phone ads, increased budget fivefold

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Apple hype isn't quite what it used to be.

Changed forever about a year and a half ago.

Unfortunately, I am beginning to believe this. Apple's commercials lately have been weak in message and frequency.

Even worse, Apple's PR has been abysmal. On the front page of today's Chicago Tribune Business section is a picture of an iPad with, "Apple's iPad is expected to be overtaken this year," and the headline, "Study: Android tablet to hit No. 1." (I cannot believe the lack of quality in today's journalism, where an entire article is based on a single study without investigating and including the accuracy of similar past studies from the same organization.)

I hope Schiller, Cook, et al can figure out the increasing negative unhip perception, because in reality, Apple still has the highest quality products and user systems. 

• Reply 22 of 29

Samsung spent more in 2012 than 2011 because those liars were in DAMAGE CONTROL. They were outed for the cheats and thief's they really are and had to plaster the airwaves with their own praises. Remember when Toyota had to do the same thing  a few years back when people were blaming them for their cars killing them? Not on the same scale, of course, but Samsung got caught with their sticky fingers in the proverbial cookie jar and had to spend the bucks to save face. Even if it was with a retarded campaign.

• Reply 23 of 29
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member

Apple hype isn't quite what it used to be.

Changed forever about a year and a half ago.

Watch yer language. ;)

Apple never really "hyped" anything. A simple pre-announcement to the press with a theme, some decoration on the venue and then a sober and polished, if enthusiastic, presentation.

They're still doing that, and I find it more fascinating in some respects than before, watching Tim Cook's evident mastery of the future outlook for Apple. He's always mentioning "momentum," for example, because his mind is on massive market shifts. That sort of thing. It's high historical drama, watching the changeover.

Samsung is doing hype with a vengeance, and TonyLee's point is that it could backfire on them. I don't know about that, because there's a sucker for shiny plastic and a big screen born every minute. But I hope he's right.
  • Reply 24 of 29

Quote:

Originally Posted by flippysc View Post

Even worse, Apple's PR has been abysmal. On the front page of today's Chicago Tribune Business section is a picture of an iPad with, "Apple's iPad is expected to be overtaken this year," and the headline, "Study: Android tablet to hit No. 1." (I cannot believe the lack of quality in today's journalism, where an entire article is based on a single study without investigating and including the accuracy of similar past studies from the same organization.)

I hope Schiller, Cook, et al can figure out the increasing negative unhip perception, because in reality, Apple still has the highest quality products and user systems. 

To this I agree.  The media has been killing Apple (relative to Samsung).  But this is a tough one for Apple to "correct".  Since the media tends to get the most views for negative/sensational news, guess what?...Apple is a dream target.  Positive expectations are so high, that negative spin can be born out of any Apple issue.

Some think that the media's Apple bashing is somewhat of a conspiracy, but I believe it's just the nature of the media business....which I abhor.

• Reply 25 of 29
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    drewys808 wrote: »
    To this I agree.  The media has been killing Apple (relative to Samsung).  But this is a tough one for Apple to "correct".  Since the media tends to get the most views for negative/sensational news, guess what?...Apple is a dream target.  Positive expectations are so high, that negative spin can be born out of any Apple issue.

Some think that the media's Apple bashing is somewhat of a conspiracy, but I believe it's just the nature of the media business....which I abhor.

I think it's both a malevolent conspiracy and a conspiracy of dunces, one on top of the other. Disgraceful and tragic, but what else is new, in this stupid and corrupt world?

The world has problems that are far more serious, at least on the surface, but if a well-motivated company can't improve the general level of thought and perception without running into subversion, the problem takes on its own serious dimensions. That's why I'd like to see Samsung held to an obvious second place. Without resorting to the dirty tricks, of course.
  • Reply 26 of 29
    e_veritase_veritas Posts: 248member

Does this include advertisement for all Samsung products? I catch commercials for their household appliances and televisions much more than I see ones for their phones. I couldn't get Train out of my head for weeks after their SmartTV campaign earlier last year.

• Reply 27 of 29
    petrosypetrosy Posts: 51member
    Seeing Samsung ad. everywhere was the same as reading about Apple a few years ago. All those useless tech columns used spew every press release and repeat speculation of Apple news. You couldn't turn the page without seeing some random Apple article. I recall at one stage engadget had 17 out of 20 articles on their homepage about Apple. So it has taken millions of dollars to break that cycle. Now you can go to most sites and read a variety of articles ....... choice is always good.
  • Reply 28 of 29
    hftshfts Posts: 386member
    Hang on, wasn't Apple accused of being "all marketing" by the haters?
    So where are you people now?
  • Reply 29 of 29
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    hfts wrote: »
    Hang on, wasn't Apple accused if being "all marketing" by the haters?
    So where are you people now?

Only way to beat marketing is with more marketing. Simple.