Teardown finds Pebble smart watch unrepairable but built to last

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A disassembly of the new Pebble smart watch has found that the waterproof wrist accessory is nearly impossible to repair internally, but its infrequently charged battery should last for up to a decade.

Pebble

iFixit was unable to take apart the Pebble without breaking its e-ink display, declaring that such a task would be "impossible." That's because the Pebble has "tons of adhesive" that helps to make it waterproof for tasks like washing dishes and swimming in shallow water.

But while internal repairs of the Pebble are "infeasible," replacing the device's watch band should be easy, as the smart watch uses a standard size.

Pebble

In addition, the Pebble can go up to 7 days without being recharged, and those infrequent charges will increase the battery life of the device. Though the battery is inaccessible for repairs, iFixit said its Fullriver-branded battery, which is rated at 3.7 Volts and 130 mAh, should last for 6 to 10 years.

The solutions provider also got in touch with Pebble's design team to voice their concerns about end-of-life recycling of the accessory. The company informed them that they have a plan in the works for recycling a broken Pebble.

Pebble

Components found inside the wrist watch in the teardown are:
  • E-paper display with three LED backlights
  • Micron N25Q032A11ESE40F with 32 megabytes of serial flash
  • STMicroelectronics STM32F205RE high-performance ARM Cortex-M3 MCU, with a maximum speed of 120 megahertz
  • STMicroelectronics LIS3DH 3-axis accelerometer
  • Panasonic pan1316 RF module
  • Texas Instruments CC2560A Bluetooth Controller, which does not support Bluetooth Low Energy
  • Fullriver battery rated at 3.7 volts and 130 mAh
The Pebble gained considerable attention last year when it was introduced on Kickstarter, a crowd funding site for new products. Support for the accessory reached $10 million, and units began shipping to those who preordered earlier this year.

Smart watches have become a trend as of late, with other options like the MetaWatch and I'm Watch also currently available. There have also been recent rumors that Apple is working on its own so-called "iWatch," which could debut as soon as this year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    It could have an option see how long you have left before the need to trash it, one of those counting backward things ... 9 years 11 months and three weeks ....and counting
  • Reply 2 of 13
    sector7gsector7g Posts: 156member

I canceled my order once the iwatch rumors picked up, and i'm glad i did, since this doesnt have bluetooth low engergy i was worried about the full power bluetooth on my arm all day

• Reply 3 of 13
    bigmac2bigmac2 Posts: 639member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sector7G View Post

I canceled my order once the iwatch rumors picked up, and i'm glad i did, since this doesnt have bluetooth low engergy i was worried about the full power bluetooth on my arm all day

If the full 100mW power of bluetooth worries you, you shouldn't carry a 1 watts radio within your cells phones on you.

• Reply 4 of 13

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMac2 View Post

If the full 100mW power of bluetooth worries you, you shouldn't carry a 1 watts radio within your cells phones on you.

Besides, if it were 100mW all day, the battery would need the same capacity as a good D size manganese alkaline (Duracell) just for the BT

• Reply 5 of 13
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    I'm actually kinda surprised by all this watch stuff lately. I used to wear a Casio databank back in my middle/high school days, but I got sick of wearing it (and being mocked for it), and I've not worn a watch in decades. I can't even imagine wearing one any more. Apparently gadget watches are more interesting these days? Are they cool now? That still won't get me to wear one again.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Sector7G View Post

Apparently Bluetooth 4 can't push as high quality audio as Bluetooth 2. And if my experience with 2 and headphones is anything to go on, that's not very good in the first place.

Originally Posted by BigMac2 View Post

He's worried about wasted battery, I think. Not "health" or anything.

• Reply 7 of 13
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    I don't know if I'm on board with smart watches. I have two watches; an Esq that I used to wear everyday back when it was really useful (used to do lab work), and an omega that I use for special occasions.

If I were to go back to wearing a watch, I would choose one with a nice mechanical movement over a smart watch in a heartbeat.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member

Quote:

Originally Posted by majjo View Post

I have two watches; an Esq that I used to wear everyday back when it was really useful (used to do lab work), and an omega that I use for special occasions.

Like for busting in to/out of SPECTRE hideouts?  image

• Reply 9 of 13
    razorpit wrote: »
    Like for busting in to/out of SPECTRE hideouts?  ;)

Huh? I mainly used it for recording sampling times, experiment start and stop times, and chronograph functions...

We had certified time pieces for any experiments requiring more precise timekeeping.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    am8449am8449 Posts: 392member
    A must have function for me on a smart watch is the ability to hold it up to my ear and make a phone call.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    majjo wrote: »
    razorpit wrote:
    Like for busting in to/out of SPECTRE hideouts?
    Huh?

• Reply 12 of 13
    The pebble website claims:

[LIST]
    [*] Load apps using Bluetooth
    [*] 144 x 168 pixel display black and white e-paper
    [*] Bluetooth 2.1 EDR and [B]4.0 (Low Energy)[/B]
    [*] 4 buttons
    [*] Vibrating motor
    [*] 3 axis accelerometer with gesture detection
    [*] Distribute apps via Pebble watchapp store
    [/LIST]
  • Reply 13 of 13
    solipsismx wrote: »

Oh heh. Sorry, haven't seen a bond film in over 20 years.

I always thought he wore a Rolex.