Apple uses mom-and-pop shops to jump into second place in India's smartphone race

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    kdarling wrote: »
    <span style="line-height:1.231;">Sure, but some volume is also necessary to make profits.  The chart showed who makes more money in India, and it was done by selling more phones:</span>

• Samsung - 39% of the revenue
    • Apple - 16% of the revenue

It's interesting that Apple has 70% of the profits worldwide while being out shipped by Sammy then.
  • Reply 22 of 27
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Some volume but you are being smarmy by implying that more volume equates to more profit as if Apple and Samsung sell the exact same class handsets. They don't so stop lying. As much as you want to convince everyone that Samsung sells more high end smartphones than Apple it's simply not true no matter how you try to spin it.

Pretty rude strawman attempt.  I neither said nor implied said anything of the sort.  In fact, quite the opposite... my point was that cheaper is better here.

You said Apple was for-profit, not for-volume.  As I pointed out, in this situation volume will give the most revenue, because higher priced phones have a much smaller market in India than other places.

It's why so many expect Apple to create a less expensive model.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

It's interesting that Apple has 70% of the profits worldwide while being out shipped by Sammy then.

Good for them, but this thread is about sales in India, not worldwide.

In this case, the seller of an affordable phone is very likely going to make far more overall revenue.

• Reply 23 of 27
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Pretty rude strawman attempt.  <span style="line-height:1.231;">I neither said nor implied said anything of the sort.  </span>

<span style="line-height:1.231;">You said Apple was for-profit, not for-volume.  All I pointed out was, that in this situation, volume will give the most revenue, because higher priced phones have a much smaller market in India than other places.</span>

<span style="line-height:1.231;">It's why so many expect Apple to create a less expensive model.</span>

1) You did imply it.

2) If Apple creates a cheaper phone for certain markets, like China Mobile, it's because they value volume over profit it's because the volume is a means to getting more profit but the ultimate goal for a for-profit company is profit. It's pretty damn simple which is why is perplexes me when people look at volume without the slightly consideration for the companies attempt at gaining profits. Oh wait, it doesn't perplex me as the answer is because it's the only argument you have to "prove" that Apple is losing.
  • Reply 24 of 27
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

2) If Apple creates a cheaper phone for certain markets, like China Mobile, it's because they value volume over profit it's because the volume is a means to getting more profit but the ultimate goal for a for-profit company is profit.

That's what I said.  Sometimes volume is the means to more profit, instead of higher prices.  You're just repeating me.

Quote:

It's pretty damn simple which is why is perplexes me when people look at volume without the slightly consideration for the companies attempt at gaining profits. Oh wait, it doesn't perplex me as the answer is because it's the only argument you have to "prove" that Apple is losing.

You're the only one in this debate who brings up phrases like "Apple is losing". 

My post was only countering your claim that Apple doesn't need to go after volume to get the most profit.   Sometimes any company does... just as you agreed above.

• Reply 25 of 27
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    <span style="line-height:1.231;">That's what I said.  Sometimes volume is the means to more profit, instead of higher prices.  You're just repeating me.</span>

<span style="line-height:1.231;">You're the only one in this debate who brings up phrases like "Apple is losing". </span>

<span style="line-height:1.231;">My post was only countering your claim that Apple doesn't need volume for profit.   Sometimes any company does... just as you agreed above.</span>

This is my comment to you. "Why does this get brought up anytime Apple's not first in volume? Do you not realize that Apple is a for-profit company not a for-volume company." With your retort implying that volume is more important that profit and not 'a' means to profit, the primary goal.

You've made this same argument many times in many threads. Clearly Apple has "some volume" so all your claims to make it look like Apple can't sell a damn phone are complete crap.
  • Reply 26 of 27

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

That's what I said.  Sometimes volume is the means to more profit, instead of higher prices.  You're just repeating me.

You're the only one in this debate who brings up phrases like "Apple is losing". 

My post was only countering your claim that Apple doesn't need to go after volume to get the most profit.   Sometimes any company does... just as you agreed above.

I too hate seeing this stupid discussion about volume with concern to Apple, since it is proven, factual information, that Apple is not high-volume company and will never be. The overall quality of their products far outstrips any PC or Phone company in today's market and their profit to volume ratio is really stunning. As for India remember the definition of smartphone and then look at the number of different 'smartphones' offered by Samsung. Latest one in India is 'GRAND", yes a grand load of crap, yes I can say that because I bought one for a second phone at work and was very disappointed. I should have just got Z10 with iPhone 5.

• Reply 27 of 27
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Pretty rude strawman attempt.  <span style="line-height:1.231;">I neither said nor implied said anything of the sort.  In fact, quite the opposite... my point was that cheaper is better here.</span>

<span style="line-height:1.231;">You said Apple was for-profit, not for-volume.  As I pointed out, in this situation volume will give the most revenue, because higher priced phones have a much smaller market in India than other places.</span>

<span style="line-height:1.231;">It's why so many expect Apple to create a less expensive model.</span>

<span style="line-height:1.231;">Good for them, but this thread </span>
    <em style="line-height:1.231;">is about sales in India, not worldwide.</em>

In this case, the seller of an affordable phone is very likely going to make far more overall revenue.

I think in India, it's more about availability than price. Financing the iPhone seems to be working. I don't think Apple should release a new low cost model. They can just drop the price if the previous version.