In-app purchase in spotlight again as boy racks up ?1,000 iPad bill

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 80
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    hill60 wrote: »
    Are the people who run the fairs at fault for providing entertainment people want?

Good question. Are the people running the fairs aware the games are rigged? Do they do anything to stop it? I think the people who want entertainment aren't constantly thinking "what scam will this vendor try to perpetuate?" I think it comes down to be aware that it exists and to protect yourself and your family to a reasonable degree, but that those that cater to these vendors also need to be responsible and cater to preventing them and punishing them to a reasonable degree. Unfortunately we are highly reactionary as a species so until something become a major issue it's not often dealt with.
  • Reply 62 of 80
    wonkothesanewonkothesane Posts: 1,725member
    hmm wrote: »
    iOS is on millions of devices, so these kinds of PR debacles will come up. If Apple wanted to lessen the rate of occurrence, they could have the in app purchase feature disabled by default or allow allow some kind of purchasing limit to be set at an account level. Otherwise you're likely to continue reading similar stories. The use of "freemium" business models didn't seem that widespread a couple years ago.

I agree to all you said. Actually I co aided freemium a concept to lure people into spending more money than if you'd buy "the full game". Latest exams of this pest is RR3.
    Allowing a time based max limit on IAP or immediate password requirement would certainly help and shouldn't be too hard to implement.
  • Reply 63 of 80
    That's what happens when your parents are idiots
  • Reply 64 of 80

I mean, do they ever check their bank account? Never mind checking up to see what your kids been doing on their iPad…

• Reply 65 of 80
    esummersesummers Posts: 953member

Quote:

Originally Posted by winstein2010 View Post

Android has a "Kids Mode" App that locks the device so there are no in-app purchase possible.  I think Apple should implement something similar:  A kid mode that the user cannot change settings and a pre-set limit on how much the kid can spend a week or a month.

They do have this mode.  Parental controls allow you to add a password to in-app purchases.  These parents just didn't turn it on.  Apple should probably put this setting on the welcome screen because too many people don't learn how to use the device before handing it to their kids.

• Reply 66 of 80
    esummersesummers Posts: 953member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamC View Post

This must be some pretty smart who knows the password to access and make in app purchases.

I wonder who gave him the password or is it a case of auto download?

I just wonder.

Perhaps as someone mentioned after downloading a few hundreds paid purchases i make a complaint and all my spending will be refunded.

What a scam. Sad

It will save the session token for purchasing.  They can still password protect it from making these purchases in all cases with parental controls.

• Reply 67 of 80
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by WonkoTheSane View Post

I agree to all you said. Actually I co aided freemium a concept to lure people into spending more money than if you'd buy "the full game". Latest exams of this pest is RR3.

You can totally play rr3 without making a sale cash purchase. As you can many of the games with IAP in them. Just depends on how fast you want things to turn over.

if you feel strongly about the IAP issue, don't download those games. They are easy to spot if you bother to read the info about the app. But if you are going to and a child has access to the device, learn how to block such things. Because its been there for a while. 

• Reply 68 of 80
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member

1. No AppleID Password? = A bit... unfortunate?

2. $99,99 for some virtual fish bucks? = Evil, greedy, cunning...

3. Dear Apple, out of the box any iOS device should be set to "Prompt password immediately" instead of "after 15 minutes" as it is now. People don't take their time to find these settings.

• Reply 69 of 80
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    I mean, do they ever check their bank account? Never mind checking up to see what your kids been doing on their iPad…

It can take weeks before you get a credit card statement. Even the iTunes receipts are often several days in processing (I could never figure out why they aren't sent instantly).

And the parents ARE checking what the kids are doing. They just downloaded a game for the kids and see the kids playing it. There should not be a window for in-app purchases unless specifically authorized.
    esummers wrote: »
    They do have this mode.  Parental controls allow you to add a password to in-app purchases.  These parents just didn't turn it on.  Apple should probably put this setting on the welcome screen because too many people don't learn how to use the device before handing it to their kids.

Putting it on the welcome screen is one solution, but not the best one. First, it makes the sign-in process longer and clumsier. Second, it still assumes that people know what they're going. In-app purchasing should require a password by default WITH NO DELAY. That way, the people who are not educated are safe. The ones who want to learn how it works can change it. A consumer device should ALWAYS default to 'safe'.
  • Reply 70 of 80
    This is b.s., I play this game - Simpsons Tapped Out - and you can only make purchases by entering your password. Either these parents set up their iPad to remember the password or they told this 8 year old the password and he was typing it in for every purchase. Don't blame Apple because you're lazy parents. Btw - it's a great game and I enjoy it a lot, and you don't have to pay $1 or £1 to play. All payments are optional and I do spend a few dollars here and there and every time I must put in my pw.
  • Reply 71 of 80
    bio9bio9 Posts: 6member

How about just turning off IAP?  iOS does allow that.

Apple can't fix stupid.

• Reply 72 of 80

The charges were fraudulent so of course Apple refunded them.  I am the only person authorized to make purchases on my credit card.  My child is not. That's part of the contract that I have with the credit card company.   Just because Apple, the credit card companies, and the game developer have made it really easy for someone else to purchase things using my card, does not mean I've authorized it. And giving my password to the child is also not authorization any more than I give consent to my waiter by handing him my card to charge dinner and anything else he wants to charge.

A $99 in-app purchase in a child's game? Which can be consumed in minutes and repeated over and over? The developer knows the child doesn't have that kind of money and they know that the parent's aren't authorizing this. They are knowingly encouraging and benefiting from credit card theft.  A little prosecution seems like a good idea.  I doubt it will happen as it's to everyone in the value chain's advantage to just accept the fraud and give refunds rather than tighten up the requirements which would reduce usage. 

• Reply 73 of 80
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    And you get the email receipt immediately not the next day which could've prevented the bill from getting so high. All of you that blame the parents are idiots, do you stand over your child's (if you have any) shoulder, and monitor there usage at ALL times? No of course not. It doesn't take long to rack up a pretty big bill with these IAPs. Last week while getting my hair cut I let my son use a iPod to play games instead of sitting there bored. I had my eye on him the whole time but he could've very easily made some IAPs right under my nose. Good thing I always look him in the eye and tell him "DO NOT buy anything".

you are saying a couple different things, but i have to ask, do you tell your son the password for your device and the account that can do the IAP? If not, then no, he cannot do an IAP under your nose.

I, as a parent of 3 children, do take responsibility for my kids. They do not know the device password. They are not allowed to purchase anything, particularly if they are younger than teenagers. Yes it is more work, yes they whine. No, I don't care. Being a parent is not easy, nor should it be. the easier it is, the less involved you will be in your kids lives and the more likely you are to have these kids of issues. Don't like stress? Don't have kids. If you already have them, step up and be responsible.
  • Reply 74 of 80
    charlituna wrote: »
    You can totally play rr3 without making a sale cash purchase. As you can many of the games with IAP in them. Just depends on how fast you want things to turn over.

if you feel strongly about the IAP issue, don't download those games. They are easy to spot if you bother to read the info about the app. But if you are going to and a child has access to the device, learn how to block such things. Because its been there for a while. 

To me it's not an issue of how to block things. I know how to do that. It's just that the whole concept of freemium leaves me with a bad taste. I just feel that the purpose is to lure people into spending more money in little chunks that you might not spend if the game would be for sale for eg 89,99. The waiting times are a good example actually. And not only to be found in RR3. Also it is targeted IMO at kids who can easily be fooled by this, such as kids. Sure I can chose not to install them in the first place. Or if I do make sure that nothing is purchased I do not agree with. Still... I just don't like the idea of "you own the full game. Well sort of. If you really like to play you can pay a bit to remove the artificially introduced nags. Over and over again preferably."
  • Reply 75 of 80
    To me it's not an issue of how to block things. I know how to do that. It's just that the whole concept of freemium leaves me with a bad taste. I just feel that the purpose is to lure people into spending more money in little chunks that you might not spend if the game would be for sale for eg 89,99. The waiting times are a good example actually. And not only to be found in RR3. Also it is targeted IMO at kids who can easily be fooled by this, such as kids. Sure I can chose not to install them in the first place. Or if I do make sure that nothing is purchased I do not agree with. Still... I just don't like the idea of "you own the full game. Well sort of. If you really like to play you can pay a bit to remove the artificially introduced nags. Over and over again preferably."
    Then don't buy them, the developer will stop making it that way if it is not making them money. Easy, right?
  • Reply 76 of 80
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NoahJ View Post

Then don't buy them, the developer will stop making it that way if it is not making them money. Easy, right?

No, not when you can't know the app does this until it's purchased.
  • Reply 77 of 80
    noahj wrote: »

And I don't. But I still can not like it, right? :-)
  • Reply 78 of 80
    No, not when you can't know the app does this until it's purchased.
    Any app I have "bought" makes it clear that there are in app purchases available. They even say which ones are the most popular. This is not as hidden as you would like to think...

On the Simpsons game it lists the following as the top in-app purchases right on the itunes store:

1. Golden Scratch-R $0.99
    2. Dozen Donuts $1.99
    3. Stack of 60 Donuts $4.99
    4. Truckload of 300 Donuts $19.99
    5. Tray of 132 Donuts $9.99
    6. Store Full of 900 Donuts $49.99
    7. Boatload of 2400 Donuts $99.99

Not that hidden.... :smokey:
  • Reply 79 of 80
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    noahj wrote: »
    you are saying a couple different things, but i have to ask, do you tell your son the password for your device and the account that can do the IAP? If not, then no, he cannot do an IAP under your nose.

I, as a parent of 3 children, do take responsibility for my kids. They do not know the device password. They are not allowed to purchase anything, particularly if they are younger than teenagers. Yes it is more work, yes they whine. No, I don't care. Being a parent is not easy, nor should it be. the easier it is, the less involved you will be in your kids lives and the more likely you are to have these kids of issues. Don't like stress? Don't have kids. If you already have them, step up and be responsible.

I know how to stop it, many parents don't know that there could be a 15 minute window in which their child can make IAPs. All they know is that every time they've downloaded something it always asked them for a password.
  • Reply 80 of 80
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Btw... "Users" would make si much sense on ios. More so than on Mac OS X in fact.