New 'Why iPhone' section of Apple's web site touts smartphone superiority

Comments

• Reply 21 of 73
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

The OS updates thing is a good point. If your Android phone is not getting updated then it's not getting security updates. The availability of dedicated stores is also good.

One other thing that Apple doesn't get enough credit for is getting music, movie, tv companies to sell their wares online. I feel like Apple did all the hard work of convincing them, and then others just came along and (in effect) asked for the same contract.

• Reply 22 of 73
    jakebjakeb Posts: 563member

Quote:

Originally Posted by THEMAC1NT0SH View Post

Why does it say only iPhone has Siri. What about iPad or iPod Touch. Or it's it implying that only iphone would bring you something like Siri?

I guess they could say that iPhone is the only phone that has Siri, but I think it's fine the way it is.

This page is why iPhone is the best phone

• Reply 23 of 73

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I got the white, too, but I also really like the colour of the metal compared to the black model. I am using a case this time around, but only because I just had to have the TARDIS case and sound effects on my phone. I'm a wee bit of a Doctor Who fan.

New episodes in 2 weeks :)

• Reply 24 of 73
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    ascii wrote: »
    New episodes in 2 weeks :)

Despite the several mentions of the word 'pond' in that last special it never occurred to me until Steven Moffat wanted me to realize it. Favourite TV writer. Big fan of Coupling and Sherlock, too. Very happy Benedict Cumberbatch let it leak last week that there is a 4th series of Sherlock planned after the 3rd, that began filming this month.
  • Reply 25 of 73

Quote:

Despite the several mentions of the word 'pond' in that last special it never occurred to me until Steven Moffat wanted me to realize it. Favourite TV writer. Big fan of Coupling and Sherlock, too. Very happy Benedict Cumberbatch let it leak last week that there is a 4th series of Sherlock planned after the 3rd, that began filming this month.

That's news to me about Sherlock, thanks, looking forward to it. Yes he is a very clever writer.

• Reply 26 of 73
    ascii wrote: »
    That's news to me about Sherlock, thanks, looking forward to it. Yes he is a very clever writer.

He had just mentioned it, I think, 4 days ago. I stumbled upon it when I was looking for a release date for series 3.

PS: I had my doubts about the US version Elementary and those doubts were reaffirmed with the pilot episode which oddly had Lucy Lui as Joan Watson making the more brilliant discoveries in the case but after that the show has been fantastic. The stories have been very clever and engaging.
  • Reply 27 of 73

Another article by @Corrections...

Is it just me, or does anyone else think that it's a bit odd to write an article which ingests and regurgitates the marketing content of a vendor's web state?

• Reply 28 of 73

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

It doesn't differentiate between "regular" and PenTile either.  Without that, it's meaningless.  

HTC's, LG's and Sony's 1080p screens aren't pentile - and they look much better than the iPhone screen (admittedly, a case could be made against the Xperia Z's screen because it has poor viewing angles).

• Reply 29 of 73
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    This wikipage lists a half-dozen or so phones with 326 PPI displays.

It's a little suspect since it doesn't list a single iPhone but has a great many Android phones, 3 Windows phones, and the BB Z10.
    [/LIST]

Some of those phones (but not all) are Pentile - and therefore not really comparable.

It is true, however, that there are some screens that do match or exceed the iPhone's screen in terms of resolution. Once you reach 'retina', there's really no point in exceeding it by any significant amount. It amazes me to see so many screens in the 400 range. Why bother? Your eye can't tell the difference once it's past about 330 (unless you're holding the phone much closer to your face - which doesn't seem likely when these phones are mostly larger than the iPhone). More pixels means that you need to use more energy and have a more powerful GPU. Depending on the screen technology, you may also need brighter (or multiple) backlights. So what's the point of 468 pixels per inch (HTC One), for example? No benefit, but significant downside.

Unless you're simply playing spec games, it would almost certainly be a better design if you're at 330 (maybe slightly higher because some people have vision that's slightly better than average) and then focus on improving brightness, energy efficiency, viewing angle, color accuracy, etc.
  • Reply 30 of 73
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Another article by @Corrections...

Is it just me, or does anyone else think that it's a bit odd to write an article which ingests and regurgitates the marketing content of a vendor's web state?

Agreed. It's probably also a copyright violation. Copying minor excerpts would fall within fair use, but copying the entire page (or most of it) probably falls outside that exception.
  • Reply 31 of 73

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Some of those phones (but not all) are Pentile - and therefore not really comparable.

It is true, however, that there are some screens that do match or exceed the iPhone's screen in terms of resolution. Once you reach 'retina', there's really no point in exceeding it by any significant amount. It amazes me to see so many screens in the 400 range. Why bother? Your eye can't tell the difference once it's past about 330 (unless you're holding the phone much closer to your face - which doesn't seem likely when these phones are mostly larger than the iPhone). More pixels means that you need to use more energy and have a more powerful GPU. Depending on the screen technology, you may also need brighter (or multiple) backlights. So what's the point of 468 pixels per inch (HTC One), for example? No benefit, but significant downside.

Unless you're simply playing spec games, it would almost certainly be a better design if you're at 330 (maybe slightly higher because some people have vision that's slightly better than average) and then focus on improving brightness, energy efficiency, viewing angle, color accuracy, etc.

I really wouldn't make this judgement without having seen the phones side by side. I haven't had a chance to play with the HTC One yet (duh, it's not out in my country), but I was able to compare an iPhone and an HTC Butterfly/DNA and a Sony Xperia Z. I know it's anecdotal and just my subjective perception, but the 1080p screens looked way sharper; there really was a tangible difference (which was somewhat mitigated by the Xperia's bad viewing angles). So personally I'd argue that higher PPI isn't pointless at all. There's also some added benefits in having a standard resolution like 1080p on your phone, most notably when playing movies. Also, leaving aside the question as to whether the difference in PPI between the iPhone and these other flagships is noticeable, tha fact of the matter is that these competing phone offer retina-quality at a much larger screen size, which makes for a markedly different user experience. Note: I didn't say it was a better user experience, but it certainly is a different one - one many users seem to prefer, if the sales numbers of large-screened phones are any indication. Personally, I'd welcome it if Apple offered a bigger iPhone, say 5 inches with double the resolution of the 4-inch iPhone, just like they offer the iPad in two different sizes.

• Reply 32 of 73
    solipsismx wrote: »

PS: I had my doubts about the US version Elementary and those doubts were reaffirmed with the pilot episode which oddly had Lucy Lui as Joan Watson making the more brilliant discoveries in the case but after that the show has been fantastic. The stories have been very clever and engaging.

A little too tied up and and tidied up every 47 minutes, but pretty darn good, I have to say. Very edgy by US mainstream standards. I am thoroughly enjoying it.
  • Reply 33 of 73

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

After years of all but avoiding any mention of its mobile competitors, Apple has launched a new site that highlights iPhone's advantages as a smartphone, similar to its "Get a Mac" campaign that took on Windows PCs.

Forget some tentative steps on a website. Nice, but lame.

Apple needs an aggressive advertising strategy that channels 'Get a Mac.' Hope one is in the works.

• Reply 34 of 73
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

Here's the headshot. No one else, NO ONE ELSE, can claim this. Apple has ruled nearly all mobile Consumer Satisfaction metrics from the introduction of the iPhone. In fact, Apple rules Consumer Satisfaction with an iron fist across ALL of its products, from desktops to mobile. 

It's really the only metric that actually means anything, on the ground, in the real world. It's the best expression of how "innovation" (whatever THAT means), specs, ecosystem, UI, and everything, comes together into a single package. It's about how it all works together, and how consumers respond to it.  

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Award winning, all of them

Apple notes that iPhone has, in "every study since the first iPhone was introduced," been ranked "Highest in Customer Satisfaction with Consumer Smartphones" by J.D. Power and Associates in a series of eight studies, based on criteria that includes "performance, physical design, features, and ease of operation."

JDPower

• Reply 35 of 73
    hungoverhungover Posts: 603member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

One other thing that Apple doesn't get enough credit for is getting music, movie, tv companies to sell their wares online. I feel like Apple did all the hard work of convincing them, and then others just came along and (in effect) asked for the same contract.

Perhaps apple don't get all of the credit because of the fact that other firms had negotiated contracts with the record companies to sell tracks at 99c long before iTunes was released.

Just saying...

• Reply 36 of 73
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Is this Apple getting desperate?

Although most of them are true, ( apart from Retina, if they are talking about PPI, and not "Apple's Retina" ), Siri doesn't work well outside UK/US. iCloud is ... just not there yet.
    Support from Real People? They forgot to put in US or UK only where most of their Apple Stored are Opened.

Seriously, Apple is still moving at the same pace as it was. The problem is this time around its competitor isn't Microsoft but Google and Samsung.
  • Reply 37 of 73
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by ksec View Post

Is this Apple getting desperate?

Here they come…

…apart from Retina, if they are talking about PPI, and not "Apple's Retina")

Your complaint is what?

…Siri doesn't work well outside UK/US.

Sounds wrong. Any of our non-US/K users want to pitch in?

iCloud is … just not there yet.

Just not where?

Support from Real People? They forgot to put in US or UK only where most of their Apple Stored are Opened.

Right; they certainly don't have Apple Stores anywhere else¡

The problem is this time around its competitor isn't Microsoft but Google and Samsung.

We're still waiting for that "problem" to explain itself.

• Reply 38 of 73
    jragosta wrote: »

1) TS pointed that out to me earlier. I think I noted my mistake in the "thumb's up" section of his post.

2) I would disagree that a benefit can't be had once you get to Apple's definition of Retina. It's well within the normal range of where people hold a phone and most of the world does not have 20/20(6/6) vision but there are some that will not be completely served by Apple until they do another jump. I don't think it's a high requirement by Apple and I think most are trying to one-up each other for their spec sheet without concern for whether it's PenTile, the power usage, the frame rate, or other aspects that make a display good, but I don't think we are at a level where we can forget about increasing it over time. Aren't magazines about 600 DPI?

A little too tied up and and tidied up every 47 minutes, but pretty darn good, I have to say. Very edgy by US mainstream standards. I am thoroughly enjoying it.

Try an average of 44 minutes. Most US hour long dramas are a little shorter at 42 minutes.

I like the tidy episodic arcs. I watch enough stuff that commits me to a season or series* long arcs. Sometimes I just want something that will complete quickly.

The series arc will ultimately be Moriarty but Elementary oddly has a lot of talk about Sherlock's father. I have to wonder if he won't turn out to be the infamous Moriarty or at least has the facts leading to Sherlock's father, whom he doesn't trust or respect anyway, before revealing the the truth. They might also use his father as an Unseen Character** to justify his addiction and insert drama as needed to move the story along.

* US usage of series
    ** Like Norm's wife Vera on Cheers or Howard Wolowitz' mother on The Big Bang Theory.
  • Reply 39 of 73

Quote:

Originally Posted by hungover View Post

Perhaps apple don't get all of the credit because of the fact that other firms had negotiated contracts with the record companies to sell tracks at 99c long before iTunes was released.

Just saying...

Any evidence?

Just asking...

• Reply 40 of 73

Quote:

....I have to wonder if he won't turn out to be the infamous Moriarty or at least has the facts leading to Sherlock's father, ......

Damn.

Good one.