Galaxy S4 announcement spurs trade-ins of other Samsung phones, not iPhones

Comments

• Reply 61 of 87
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    jragosta wrote: »
    There are enough for Gazelle to have a price - well over $300. So the current generation iPhone is $100 more than the current generation Galaxy. The previous generation iPhone is about the same price as the current generation Galaxy.

Or, if you want to do it another way, the iPhone 4S goes for $230 from Gazelle - 5 months after the iPhone 5 came out. How much were they paying for a Galaxy SII 5 months after the SIII came out? How much do you think the SIII will go for 5 months after the S4 comes out?

That pretty much proves the point.

The point that used iPhones retain their value isn't surprising, but be honest the price for a used SGS 3 is surprising. It certainly took me by surprise.
  • Reply 62 of 87
    apple ][ wrote: »
    I have.

Jan. 16 2013

<h1 style="margin-top:0px;margin-right:0px;margin-bottom:30px;margin-left:0px;padding-top:0px;padding-right:0px;padding-bottom:0px;padding-left:0px;font-family:'Stag Web Medium';font-style:normal;font-weight:normal;font-size:56px;line-height:61.6px;color:rgb(52,64,69);">Surprise: Nokia beats Samsung on smartphone customer satisfaction</h1>

http://www.citeworld.com/mobile/21310/nokia-beats-samsung-customer-satisfaction

I think he meant in sales. It's not hard leading in customer satisfaction when you've only sold a handful of devices.
  • Reply 63 of 87
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    The point that used iPhones retain their value isn't surprising, but be honest the price for a used SGS 3 is surprising. It certainly took me by surprise.

Yes, it was higher than I expected, but when you consider that it's still the top of the line Samsung phone available and that the overwhelming majority of Android phones sell for (much) less, it's not really that surprising.
  • Reply 64 of 87
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I think he meant in sales. It's not hard leading in customer satisfaction when you've only sold a handful of devices.

Both, really. As you say it's easier to have customer satisfaction for a product when your numbers are low if they get an evan sample of each brand, but I think the 50 million S III's being shipped with dozens of millions clearly in customer's hands and still selling well after nearly a year is proof it's a popular device with high customer satisfaction among Android-based vendors.
  • Reply 65 of 87
    jragosta wrote: »
    Yes, it was higher than I expected, but when you consider that it's still the top of the line Samsung phone available and that the overwhelming majority of Android phones sell for (much) less, it's not really that surprising.

Yes but those other Android phones were sold cheaply to begin with. That's more a manufacturers fault than the OS.
  • Reply 66 of 87
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I'm just going by what was written, and customer satisfaction is what was specifically being mentioned.

• Reply 67 of 87
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    What phones where those? Where they high end phones from a year ago or did you notice that you your looking at one of the cheapest phones and trying to be a troll. 
    How does someone who supports Apple troll on an Apple user site?
  • Reply 68 of 87
    genovelle wrote: »

I was thinking the same thing. That word gets thrown around here a lot lately.
  • Reply 69 of 87
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

My guess is different definitions for trolling.

It's sometimes used here simply to identify those members pushing an agenda other than pro-Apple. Occasionally that one in drags in a post from an actual hardcore Apple fan as it's pretty broad.  Sometimes it's used as a tag for someone who makes an inaccurate claim (or several of them), particularly applicable to new posters. Others might define it as making inflammatory or egregious posts simply to get an angry response from other members, no matter their OS allegiance.

Take your pick.

• Reply 70 of 87
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Take your pick.

My definition is anybody who is not an OS X or iOS user.

• Reply 71 of 87
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 72 of 87

You mean exclusively.
  • Reply 73 of 87
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    well, in this case they were using it in defense of Samsung on this site.
  • Reply 74 of 87
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    gatorguy wrote: »
    My guess is different definitions for trolling.

It's normally assigned to anyone who aggressively or sarcastically promotes an opposing view from one that you hold. When it's done repeatedly, the label sticks. There's always going to be opposing views in every thread topic so it gets used liberally. Obviously this is a forum for Apple fans so more commonly the label is assigned to people who always take an opposing stance to Apple as there would be little reason to be a member of an Apple oriented forum without ever being pro-Apple except to be disruptive. Of course people can take an interest in what Apple does without being on their side as well as be critical of them when they screw up and there is value in having opposing points of view because criticism can help isolate and improve problems. The people who are here to be disruptive are well aware of who they are and I'm sure most people are by now. While it would be convenient to pick out individuals, there has to be a fair process for everyone to avoid it being personal so the rules are what they are: maintain civil discussion and it's ok. It seems to work ok here IMO, people are mostly pretty responsible. This forum really only has a handful of disruptive types vs hundreds on other news blogs and even they are mostly coherent.

The movement to smartphones has made it a little worse as it's a bigger market and applies a lot more to a younger crowd. Samsung would rarely ever be mentioned before the iPhone but now it's all that gets discussed on Apple forums. It's disappointing in a way because Macs are productive machines so while discussions included how many apps, how many units sold, resale value, they just seemed a bit more worthwhile. I don't think people care as much about phones nearly as much as they do their computers but for some reason it has become the topic of conversation. In much the same way that disruptive posters continue to disrupt, I think the problem is acknowledgement and participation. If people ignored rather than challenged, things would change. If nobody replied to Samsung topics, I imagine the topics would stop being posted. It won't happen though, just look at the topic about the Blackberry guy dissing the iPhone UI - 7 pages in one day.
  • Reply 75 of 87
    kimk69kimk69 Posts: 77member
    You can go and see for yourself. I just clicked on the first four phones on the list. I can't be bothered to keep track of all the million different models of Samsung phones that are in existence. And Gazelle excludes many phones, they only purchase certain models.

I just made up that $15 figure, but I actually went back and calculated the average price of the first four phones that I saw and it came out to $27.50.:lol:
    Lol
  • Reply 76 of 87
    kev27mkev27m Posts: 1member
    They are selling their S3's so they can get the iPhone5 because of it's amazing new features.
  • Reply 77 of 87
    hftshfts Posts: 386member
    gtr wrote: »
    Those people aren't trading in.

They're updating their phone's OS!!!

;)
    Good one.
  • Reply 78 of 87
    bigmikebigmike Posts: 266member
    Applinsider, please stop posting Samsung news. Thank you.
  • Reply 79 of 87
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

Quote:

Originally Posted by genovelle View Post

Just because you share the same interests/position as (most) others on a particular forum doesn't mean you won't/can't engage in inflammatory discourse and bait others just for the sake of it. Trolling is about behavior and actions, not necessarily about political positioning. So yes, it is possible for an Apple fanboy to troll on an Apple user site. We see it here all the time.

• Reply 80 of 87
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member
    That's absolutely true in my case. I keep my previous phone for backup in case my main one gets lost or stolen. .

Pretty common.

When the 4S came out, AllThingsD and CIRP Research found that 49% of the upgrade buyers on AT&T sold/gave their old phone to someone else.

So just over half kept their older iPhone for themselves.