Messaging app 'WhatsApp' for iOS to become subscription based by year's end

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lerxt View Post

I don't think people will bother to pay even $1 when there are free alternatives.

yup. plus, it's not only paying $1. it's convincing all of your contacts to do the same. it's hard enough to convince them all to download a free app, let alone one that carries a yearly subscription.

• Reply 22 of 37
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

I heard a term once.  FREE.  Plenty of free ones out there.  Not worth the yearly price when I can get one for free.

• Reply 23 of 37
    Problem with iMessage is that you can't just set it to use network for specific individuals. I use WhatsApp for my international friends and iMessage for domestics.
  • Reply 24 of 37
    guaihuguaihu Posts: 36member

[EDIT: Nah.]

• Reply 25 of 37
    sammcksammck Posts: 2member
    Stupid and greedy - they will just direct people away to iMessage and Wechat if they're not using these already. Do they really think they will change behaviours ?
    This proposed subscription has been the rumour in Hong Kong for the last 6 months and no-one will pay that here, they'll just move to the next new free messaging client.
    bye bye Whatsapp
  • Reply 26 of 37
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Like WhatsApp, you mean?

Yup. Exactly like WhatsApp, with better Emoji support to boot. And it's FREE.

• Reply 27 of 37
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member

Quote:

Originally Posted by psitthipo View Post

Most people ditched Whatapp for LINE in Japan and Thailand.  And LINE was and has always been free from the beginning.  

I switched to LINE with my friends in Japan months ago. I actually like LINE much better then Whatsapp. 

• Reply 28 of 37
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    philboogie wrote: »
    1. Works fine on my iPad.

2. in relation to your FB friends 'Beside, I was getting too much from junk people' fixed that for you. << joking here, of course!

1. Not supported officially. You cannot just go to the App Store and download it to your iPad/iPod touch. Go check their app page.

2. I don't like Facebook but I don't get PN every 60 seconds with Facebook about how if I don't forward this message I will be hit by a bus. With Facebook and twitter you can check posts on your own time.
  • Reply 29 of 37
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    matrix07 wrote: »

How can Emoji support be better if it's not in the app but integrated into the OS? Ah, it's an Asian app. Ok, well, those who have downloaded WhatsApp already will be grandfathered, as the article and TonTon already wrote, and won't need to pay for it anyway.

Besides, LINE makes money from IAP. Not exactly cheap, @ € 1.79 per Minni Mouse, whatever that might do.

http://line.naver.jp/en/
  • Reply 30 of 37
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member

I really enjoyed the heck out of Whatsapp for a while. However then iMessage and Facebook Messaging came along and it fell by the wayside.

• Reply 31 of 37
    tylerk36 wrote: »
    I heard a term once.  FREE.  Plenty of free ones out there.  Not worth the yearly price when I can get one for free.
    Free is not really free when it includes ads and constant marketing for "upgrades" or "add-ons". That's why whatsapp has dominated. I would MUCH rather pay $1 a year than have ads.
  • Reply 32 of 37
    philboogie wrote: »
    matrix07 wrote: »

How can Emoji support be better if it's not in the app but integrated into the OS? Ah, it's an Asian app. Ok, well, those who have downloaded WhatsApp already will be grandfathered, as the article and TonTon already wrote, and won't need to pay for it anyway.

Besides, LINE makes money from IAP. Not exactly cheap, @ € 1.79 per Minni Mouse, whatever that might do.

http://line.naver.jp/en/
    Keep in mind, LINE got thrashed when it was first released, for selling users' data.
  • Reply 33 of 37
    iMessage is useless when half your friends have Samsungs.
  • Reply 34 of 37
    While I use Whatsapp, I recently moved to China where Whatsapp does not have any user base. Here most people are using a new software from the creators of QQ called WeChat. It's copied some of the function of Whatsapp and then added a lot more so that now Whatsapp pales in comparison.

For example there is a desktop version accessed by a website (no need to download software), secondly it gives you a unique identifier number independent of your mobile phone. This is useful if you swap in and out of different mobile numbers as I do. Thirdly it gives you whats called a "moments" space where people can upload photos etc to a profile making it somewhat of a mobile Facebook. The voice messaging is way better than whatsapp and it allows video calls.

Oh and it's free.
  • Reply 35 of 37
    So... it's time to uninstall whatsapp and instal sth new... for free :D
    Cubie is cute https://play.google.com/store/... Maybe FB
    Messenger...WEChat is interesting - and really popular... or maybe Vippie it's quite good and have
    calls to USA for free... https://play.google.com/store/... I don't know yet.
  • Reply 36 of 37

WhatsApp has now been acquired been FB so I fear we will might see ads soon although FB has denied so. I have been using Telegram recently which is fantastic but I havent been able to convince my girlfriend to use it.