Disney's ABC reportedly working on live streaming TV app

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Walt Disney Co. is said to be working on a new live streaming television app for its broadcast network ABC that will make content available to cable and satellite subscribers.

Existing TV subscribers will be able to stream live programming anywhere they have an Internet connection with the forthcoming mobile application, according to The New York Times. Sources who revealed the information said the application could arrive as soon as this year.

ABC
The current ABC Player app available for iOS.

Even though ABC is a free over-the-air public network, the streaming capabilities will reportedly only be available to cable and satellite subscribers so that Disney will not upset providers.

"With the app, ABC, a subsidiary of Disney, will become the first of the American broadcasters to provide a live Internet stream of national and local programming to people who pay for cable or satellite," author Brian Stelter wrote.

Disney has been on the forefront of streaming live television with its "Watch ESPN" app for Apple's iOS. That service offers a large number of live streaming sports events to users who log in with credentials provided through their cable operator.

ABC was one of the first television networks to embrace the iPad, developing a launch day app for the first-generation iPad back in 2010. The existing ABC Player is now a universal app for iPhone and iPad that can be used to stream previously-aired episodes of current shows.

Apple and Disney have long been close partners in media, as Steve Jobs was the company's largest shareholder through his sale of animation studio Pixar, while Disney CEO Bob Iger currently serves on the Apple Board of Directors. Disney also uses Apple products like iPads and iPod touches at some of its world-renowned theme parks in an effort to better serve visitors.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15

That's a little BS that they're unwilling to upset the providers considering you could get the channel over the air without them.

• Reply 2 of 15
    bonkybonky Posts: 19member
    Keep pulling that string Tim. Don't take too long though.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    So how is this anyhing at all. You still have to have cable to see it at time of. So just turn in your TV.

What we need is to be able to stream, even at a cost, or buy off iTunes at time of. No cable required
  • Reply 4 of 15

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyb0731 View Post

That's a little BS that they're unwilling to upset the providers considering you could get the channel over the air without them.

and considering they are likely your ISP anyway.

• Reply 5 of 15
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

What we need is to be able to stream, even at a cost, or buy off iTunes at time of. No cable required

Agree.  We need to unbundle just the content we want.

Can't stand paying for channels, in a bundle, that I will absolutely never watch.

• Reply 6 of 15
    This isn't a rumor. My cable company announced they were beginning to participate with Watch ESPN, Watch Disney Channel, and Watch Disney XD in January. The press release then went on to add that they will be adding the Disney Junior channel soon, and the ability to watch live in the Watch Disney Junior app when the channel goes live, and that when the Watch ABC and Watch ABC Family apps launch, we will get live access to that.

Yes, I have to log in with my cable account info, but I can watch anywhere I am, not just at home. (Well, assuming you are connected to a US based ISP or location. Tried watching the Celtics/Heat game on Watch ESPN last June, while in south Florida, and was told streaming was not allowed outside the US)

EDIT: link to press release
    http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=112298&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1771792&highlight=
  • Reply 7 of 15
    If they discriminate against over the air viewers in this way, the FCC should pull their broadcast licenses (or at least put them under review). You can't have your cake and eat it too. They are either an over the air broadcast company or a cable only company. Pick one.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyb0731 View Post

It is free over the air, but the content provider charge cable and satellite companies a lot to carry their signal (retransmission consent). Disney/ABC really does not want to upset this revenue stream. OTOH, they did pay a lot of money to obtain NBA, NFL and college football programming.

• Reply 9 of 15
    GrangerFX wrote: »
    If they discriminate against over the air viewers in this way, the FCC should pull their broadcast licenses (or at least put them under review). You can't have your cake and eat it too. They are either an over the air broadcast company or a cable only company. Pick one.

They aren't preventing anyone from getting an antenna and streaming it to your iPad. There are devices/apps for that too.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    dualiedualie Posts: 334member
    Free TV isn't available everywhere. I can't get ABC in my town even with an antenna, so I simply never watch that network since I absolutely refuse to pay for cable tv.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonky View Post

Keep pulling that string Tim. Don't take too long though.

I think he's trying to 'push' that string. With expected results.

• Reply 12 of 15
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member

While its nice they want to make an app, I wish they would all get together and have Apple design the app 'structure' that could be used by all providers.

These various apps can be so frustrating.

Plus, on top of that, here's the kicker I have... if I do not log in often, my id password gets canceled.

so if I only log in  once every six month trip... nope... have to ask for password etc in my account. Which is a pain... oh wheres your billing statement etc.

Prove that you are you to get your new password.

IMO - Cable companies and the main content providers are oligarchies and near monopolies and should be treated as such.

I don't want the goverment to tell them what to program, but I do want the govt to provide a regulatory structure  for them to be open and fair with customers about  cable and internet plans and rates and structures and my fair use of the content that I am paying. Yes boys... you are just a pipeline... sorry.

Whew.. end of rant... Im going home now.

• Reply 13 of 15
    boeyc15 wrote: »
    While its nice they want to make an app, I wish they would all get together and have Apple design the app 'structure' that could be used by all providers.

These various apps can be so frustrating.

Plus, on top of that, here's the kicker I have... if I do not log in often, my id password gets canceled.
    so if I only log in  once every six month trip... nope... have to ask for password etc in my account. Which is a pain... oh wheres your billing statement etc.
    Prove that you are you to get your new password.

IMO - Cable companies and the main content providers are oligarchies and near monopolies and should be treated as such.
    I don't want the goverment to tell them what to program, but I do want the govt to provide a regulatory structure  for them to be open and fair with customers about  cable and internet plans and rates and structures and my fair use of the content that I am paying. Yes boys... you are just a pipeline... sorry.

Whew.. end of rant... Im going home now.

Understandable. But it is your cable account user name and password. The log in screen is essentially an iframe to your providers website login. A token of some sort must be passed to the app to enable the live streaming.
  • Reply 14 of 15

Well they dont have enough money. Its probably a contract issue.