BlackBerry 10 predicted to hold less than 5% market share through 2016

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    pfezziwig wrote: »
    Enough with the 'predictions' please.

Blackberry was 'predicted' to go out of business in 2012.

BB10 was 'predicted' to be DOA.

Now another bozo analcyst is making another lame 'prediction'.

Let's leave the predictions to fortune tellers and stop printing this garbage.

Yuo mad bro?
  • Reply 22 of 38
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    pfezziwig wrote: »
    Let's leave the predictions to fortune tellers and stop printing this garbage.

Um, whom do you think are making these predictions? It's the modern day fortune tellers known as analysts. They peer into their crystal bollucks then reach into their vast ass chasm to come up with these ideas.
  • Reply 23 of 38
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

They peer into their crystal bullocks and reach into their vast ass chasm to come up with these ideas.

I wish I could put this in my signature.

• Reply 24 of 38
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

I predict that Blackberry or RIM or whatever name that they choose to call themselves will be almost extinct by 2016.

• Reply 25 of 38
    lostkiwilostkiwi Posts: 639member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    It's the modern day fortune tellers known as analysts. They peer into their crystal bullocks and reach into their vast ass chasm to come up with these ideas.

Who took the jam out of your doughnut this morning?
    :-) Just kidding Soli. We need to make your quote a sticky on the forums when an analyst piece comes up, methinks.
  • Reply 26 of 38
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I predict that Blackberry or RIM or whatever name that they choose to call themselves will be almost extinct by 2016.

Sorry, I usually share most of your opinions (exept the strictly political ones - but that's OK with me) but in this case, I believe, that you are quite wrong.

BB has been undergoing some drastic changes since Billsilly (os so ;-)) has left the battered company. I actually have some hope, that BB becomes at least #3-4 in the Smartphone game.

Personally I like BB over MSFT phones or Android phones. Particularly for companies I think BB will soon come right after Apple.

• Reply 27 of 38
    Sorry, I usually share most of your opinions (exept the strictly political ones - but that's OK with me) but in this case, I believe, that you are quite wrong.
    BB has been undergoing some drastic changes since Billsilly (os so ;-)) has left the battered company. I actually have some hope, that BB becomes at least #3-4 in the Smartphone game.
    Personally I like BB over MSFT phones or Android phones. Particularly for companies I think BB will soon come right after Apple.

I think BB has done a great job with both BB10 and the Z10. I don't, however, think that being great is necessarily good enough, especially when it has taken them so long to come to market. WebOS had plenty of great aspects and it failed. Win Phone has plenty of great aspects and it's not fairing too well. I sincerely hope we get to see another success story, like we saw with Apple, but so far I don't see a clear path for them. I think they were smart to change their name to BB and were smart to get rid of their co-CEO setup. On top of that I would love to see the founder who recently sold off every last share of his stock to kick himself as BB turns itself around. Unfortunately it's mostly been a free fall with the occasional handhold of rooted dirt that makes them think they are safe before it finally gives way and they start to fall again.
  • Reply 28 of 38
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member

Quote:

I think BB has done a great job with both BB10 and the Z10. I don't, however, think that being great is necessarily good enough, especially when it has taken them so long to come to market. WebOS had plenty of great aspects and it failed. Win Phone has plenty of great aspects and it's not fairing too well. I sincerely hope we get to see another success story, like we saw with Apple, but so far I don't see a clear path for them. I think they were smart to change their name to BB and were smart to get rid of their co-CEO setup. On top of that I would love to see the founder who recently sold off every last share of his stock to kick himself as BB turns itself around. Unfortunately it's mostly been a free fall with the occasional handhold of rooted dirt that makes them think they are safe before it finally gives way and they start to fall again.

If - and only if BB has no successor of the Z10 up their sleeves, you might be right. But as I mentionrd erlier, I strongly believe, that the Z10 is just the beginning of a new aera at BB. and there are already several prototypes of Z11 underway. If they don't have that - well there is still the option to licence their OS. But that, would certainly just postpone their final downfall. Something I somehow hope they can prevent.

• Reply 29 of 38
    rkevwillrkevwill Posts: 224member

Time will tell. Personally, I think its all up to two factors. If, and thats a big if, from my personal knowledge of Corporate IT, the corporations agree to upgrade to BES10. A lot of folks on these forums don't understand, that these new phones do NOT work with the old BES. For the corporations to support these BB10 phones in their corporate systems, they need to upgrade to BES10. Individuals don't need to worry about that. They can use them out of the box for their personal email etc. For folks to say, "well they can use Good, or Mobile Iron, or Blackberry Balance."  People, the corporations STILL need to use BES10 for the corporate security side, for even these systems to work.

Next, I still think the Q10 will be the deciding phone. I continue to believe most of the "old" blackberry users will prefer the keyboard phone. If they really really like that phone, that will give BB a leg up.

On the other hand, more related to the article, if BB is still around in 2016, that has to be a major accomplishment and one to respect!

• Reply 30 of 38
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member

Going to be tough to bring the Blackberry name back after such a long wait. Especially when corporate and government seem to be flocking away from Blackberry.

• Reply 31 of 38
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Today (Mar22/13) I looked at the new BB phone in my favorite phone store. After the RIM comment about Apple's iOS being stale, I just had to look at their product.

Much like the iPhone iOS, with a few useful differences.
    Like pull down Settings and spell checker suggestion displayed at the bottom. Nothing earth shattering however, for those who know Apple's iOS.
    Surprising that the store demo Phones weren't connected online and the clerk's demo phone seemed a bit slow at times.

My acid test was does their Browser have a bookmark mgr, the lack of same on my Playbook forever frustrates me.
    Nope, both I and the store chap who demoed it were very surprised that it didn't.
    Oh well, the new BB phone is not ready for me yet!
  • Reply 32 of 38
    joshajosha Posts: 901member

Quote:

I too would like to see BB succeed, more competition for Apple is good for all.

However after trying a Z10 today, I'm not impressed.    It's slow and has a browser missing needed function, like a Bookmark Mgr. It has a few UI advances over iOS, perhaps Apple will try to introduce them.

As for the RIM founder he has now found a new "make me richer" business activity.

He has founded the private Quantum Fund.  Will they sell units to pick up 1% of others money?

http://www.inc.com/julie-strickland/quantum-valley-investments.html

The founding duo of BlackBerry maker Research in Motion, Mike Lazaridis and Doug Fregin, are partnering to bankroll a $100 million CAD ($97 million U.S.)  investment fund targeting commercial applications for advancements in quantum science.

• Reply 33 of 38
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    The new Z10 is a really tempting phone, the BB10 OS is just fantastic. I'm a little worried about the apps and map functionality. I need to wait till August till I need to decide but it's defiantly on top of my list.
  • Reply 34 of 38
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshA View Post

My acid test was does their Browser have a bookmark mgr, the lack of same on my Playbook forever frustrates me.

Nope, both I and the store chap who demoed it were very surprised that it didn't.

Oh well, the new BB phone is not ready for me yet!

Blackberry decided for UI reasons not to implement a "traditional" bookmark manager --- bookmarks are managed by tags and searches.  You can manage bookmarks in the Z10.

Whether people likes or dislikes Blackberry's decision, that's another matter.  It's like OS X's "smart folders", I know quite a few people that just hates it.

• Reply 35 of 38
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

Quote:

Originally Posted by samab View Post

Blackberry decided for UI reasons not to implement a "traditional" bookmark manager --- bookmarks are managed by tags and searches.  You can manage bookmarks in the Z10.

Whether people likes or dislikes Blackberry's decision, that's another matter.  It's like OS X's "smart folders", I know quite a few people that just hates it.

That was defiantly a frustrating aspect of the Playbook, however it did have a history and as I only have a hand full of regular sites that I visit it wasn't a deal breaker. That and I use Google predominantly to search for articles anyway.

• Reply 36 of 38
    samab wrote: »

The difference is smart folders are an option in Mac OS X, which is on a case with "traditional" bookmark manager her, among other issues. If you have a completely new paradigm that is much better than your competitors you can get away with not have certain features for a bit, but when you're just playing catch-upi it doesn't fly when these aren't included.
  • Reply 37 of 38
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    relic wrote: »
    That was defiantly a frustrating aspect of the Playbook

You use the word 'defiantly' a few times. I think you mean to use 'definitely'. Defiantly means going against someone else's wishes, definitely means with certainty. So if you wanted to say 'that was certainly a frustrating aspect', you'd use 'definitely'. If you wanted to say 'Samsung used Apple's designs against Apple's wishes', you'd say they did it defiantly.
    solipsismx wrote:
    I think we're at the event horizon for BB. I'm not even sure they will be in the smartphone market in 2016.

They've allowed iOS and Android to get a huge lead and they now have to face the prospect of trying to get people to switch. I think they still have a strong brand status with business users and they can maintain their marketing for business users too. I doubt they'll reach the 500 million+ users of iOS and Android but they'd be doing pretty well to maintain their 80 million-strong user base and the latest smartphone should be capable of that.
  • Reply 38 of 38
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member

Quote:

The difference is smart folders are an option in Mac OS X, which is on a case with "traditional" bookmark manager her, among other issues. If you have a completely new paradigm that is much better than your competitors you can get away with not have certain features for a bit, but when you're just playing catch-upi it doesn't fly when these aren't included.

It is a feature that people have been asking for since the first day of the Playbook launch, so RIM knows the importance of it.  But RIM is also intentionally making a design decision on bookmark management.  Like the rest of the UI, it has a learning curve.