GarageBand for iOS gets Audiobus support in latest update

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple on Wednesday released version 1.4 of GarageBand for iOS, bringing a few enhancements to the mobile music production app, the most notable of which being support for third party app Audiobus.

With the new support, GarageBand can record audio piped in from standalone apps supported by Audiobus standard. Audiobus is a third-party iOS app that touts "app-to-app" streaming of compatible digital instruments like synthesizers and drum kits to other editing apps.

The compatibility will be an added bonus to many music makers that have invested in the Audiobus platform and want to use GarageBand's flavor of multi-track recording. In recent memory, Apple has not allowed such third-party integration with its mobile offerings.

Along with the Audiobus support, Wednesday's update also brings the option to turn off grid snapping and fixes a feedback issue that occurred when a third-party accessory was plugged into an iOS device's headphone jack.

From the release notes:
Play and record music apps supported by Audiobus directly into GarageBand*
? Turn off grid snapping to get finer control over region and note editing
? Fixes an issue that resulted in feedback while connecting 3rd-party audio accessories into the headphone/microphone jack

* Requires iPhone 4S, iPod touch (5th generation), iPad 2 or later. Audiobus requires a separate purchase.
GarageBand v1.4 comes in at 588MB at is available to download from the App Store for $4.99. Audiobus is a 3.9MB download priced at $9.99.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Wow! That's some serious recognition for a third party software company. Great news!
  • Reply 2 of 11
    tom jtom j Posts: 16member
    And yet we're still stuck with iWork '09
  • Reply 3 of 11
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Do they not care about the Mac anymore????
  • Reply 4 of 11
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Got say as slightly on topic and musicians are no doubt reading this post, Midi Guitar 64 for both OS X and iOS is bloody amazing! Almost no latency and seamlessly works in background with Garageband. I got the demo and it took ten minutes for me to grab my Amex! I have no affiliation with the company. http://www.jamorigin.com/midi-guitar/
  • Reply 5 of 11
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom J View Post

And yet we're still stuck with iWork '09

As much as I like the developments in iLive, you are right. iWork '09 is really overdue for a major update. Particularly Numbers ought to get a lot of attention by the Apple software developpers.

I really love most of everything about Numbers above Excel, but using huge amounts of data makes Numbers look like a snail against Excel. And that's something I really hate myself to have to admitt.

• Reply 6 of 11
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    As much as I like the developments in iLive, you are right. iWork '09 is really overdue for a major update. Particularly Numbers ought to get a lot of attention by the Apple software developpers.
    I really love most of everything about Numbers above Excel, but using huge amounts of data makes Numbers look like a snail against Excel. And that's something I really hate myself to have to admitt.

OK, I agree totally ... but please people don't derail a music news post ... we get few enough of them :)
  • Reply 7 of 11
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Audiobus is great, I've been using it for a while.

It's good to see Apple getting on board, because that carries a lot of weight, and now virtually all major music apps being released will have to have audiobus incorporated if they wish to be relevant.

• Reply 8 of 11

Of course this thread would be dead with a complete absence of trolls. Bring up audio/music production and the Android users run and hide.

I mean, they can't claim Android does it better since Android is useless for audio work. They can't bring up a list of Android Apps that are "just as good as iOS versions." They can't criticize iOS music Apps because, frankly, there are so many fantastic ones out there. Bottom line is there's nothing bad they can say about iOS and music.

And if they don't have anything bad to say then there's no reason to post, is there?

• Reply 9 of 11
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Of course this thread would be dead with a complete absence of trolls. Bring up audio/music production and the Android users run and hide.

I mean, they can't claim Android does it better since Android is useless for audio work. They can't bring up a list of Android Apps that are "just as good as iOS versions." They can't criticize iOS music Apps because, frankly, there are so many fantastic ones out there. Bottom line is there's nothing bad they can say about iOS and music.

And if they don't have anything bad to say then there's no reason to post, is there?

So why ruin a nice thread by baiting them. Trying to turn this one it into a troll-fest too? Very odd. . .:rolleyes:
  • Reply 10 of 11
    ssquirrelssquirrel Posts: 1,196member

So many awesome music apps on iOS.  Some of the ones on my iPhone or iPad right now:

Garageband (Apple's DAW)

Rebirth (303's, 909 and 808)

Filtatron (Moog fun)

Animoog (even more Moog fun)

Sunrizer and SunrizerXS (amazingly good synth)

Figure (yeah just for fun really but cool)

Ampkit (amps and effects on the go)

Korg iElectribe (original Electribe in iPad form)

Korg iMS-20 (MS-20 and SQ10 made polyphonic)

Korg iPolySix (Poly Six in iPad form)

Phaedra (sequencer)

and more I can't remember right now

So much great stuff to be had for the musician, professional or hobbyist.  One of my friends is a big Android fan and he was blown away by Ampkit.  A friend of his coded something similar for his own use on Android and now he wants to get his friend working on expanding it and getting him a copy heh.

• Reply 11 of 11
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    iPhone 4S, but not iPhone 4??