Apple to deny apps using UDID data, lacking iPhone 5 display support starting May 1

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why? On the update screen and the stupid modal popup that appears every single time, it explicitly distinguishes "free updates". Every button has a "Free" label on it. All of this is completely unnecessary if paid updates were impossible, and yet it has been there for years

Label updates as "Free" doesn't mean there is paid updates. When was the last time you paid for an app update on your iOS device?! I am a developer and I know what I am talking about. If you still think there are paid updates/upgrades in the App Store (Mac and iOS by the way) then check out these links:

http://www.macstories.net/stories/why-upgrade-pricing-isnt-coming-to-the-app-store/

http://blog.wilshipley.com/2012/03/mac-app-store-needs-paid-upgrades.html

http://instaca.st/b/zg

• Reply 22 of 28
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Label updates as "Free" doesn't mean there is paid updates.

It means there is a distinction necessary, which means they can exist.

When was the last time you paid for an app update on your iOS device?!

I specifically talked about that.

If you still think there are paid updates/upgrades in the App Store…

I never thought that. Please actually read my post.

• Reply 23 of 28

CÇåøüé

• Reply 24 of 28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It means there is a distinction necessary, which means they can exist.

I specifically talked about that.

I never thought that. Please actually read my post.

There aren't any because IT IS NOT POSSIBLE. Apple controls the App Store and they are not allowing developers to charge for existing app updates/upgrade. If you read the links I've posted you will see that it is something developers want and Apple is not giving. The existing of the label "Free Update" doesn't mean there exist "Paid Update". There is no "Paid Update" option for developers. All updates are FORCED to be free by Apple. I don't know of any other way to be clearer than this.

• Reply 25 of 28

Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

There aren't any because IT IS NOT POSSIBLE. Apple controls the App Store and they are not allowing developers to charge for existing app updates/upgrade.

Then there's no reason in Heaven or on Earth for Apple to need to have any mention whatsoever of "Free" on their page, on the buttons, or in the forced modal pop-up asking if you're "SURE that you want to download all free updates". And yet they still have it.

Doesn't sound like Apple to me. 

The existing of the label "Free Update" doesn't mean there exist "Paid Update".

It means one of two things. It means the system is intended to have it but does not yet or that Apple doesn't care at all about usability and simplicity.

• Reply 26 of 28

Then there's no reason in Heaven or on Earth for Apple to need to have any mention whatsoever of "Free" on their page, on the buttons, or in the forced modal pop-up asking if you're "SURE that you want to download all free updates". And yet they still have it.

Doesn't sound like Apple to me. 

It means one of two things. It means the system is intended to have it but does not yet or that Apple doesn't care at all about usability and simplicity.

Well.. It is not there and never was hence my post about Apple needing to do something about adding some form of Paid Upgrades capability to the App Store so developers don't remove existing apps to work around this limitation.
  • Reply 27 of 28
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

Those aren't the only two options. I think it means that Apple doesn't have that option in place -and- the do care about usability and simplicity by making it very clear that updates are free. This type of thing exists in apps outside of the App Store so making it clear that Apple isn't going to sneak in paid updates to users with little to no info is covering both those those items.

Case in point, several months back I updated my iStat Menus. As usual I clicked on the update. I didn't read the fine print on what changed. It was an update and I was happy to get it. Turns out it was a paid update that only got me 14 days of a trial before it ended. I wasn't happy about that. I'd rather them tell them about the major version and price update but not simply sneak it into the regular update cycle.

• Reply 28 of 28
    Allowing UDID access to 3rd party developers was wrong to begin with. A quick reminder: Steve Jobs didn't plan on opening iOS for native app but web apps.