Nokia CEO dodges premium Lumia questions, throws iPhone

Comments

• Reply 21 of 67
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member

Quote:

Originally Posted by steinm88299 View Post

The Microsoft executive tree is stellar. Ballmer, Elop, Maritz. All delusional and unable to execute.

You may not like Microsoft products. But you cannot say Maritz and Elop didn't execute when they were there.

• Reply 22 of 67

Jerk.

• Reply 23 of 67
    nchianchia Posts: 124member
    I remember lusting after the Porsche 928 when it first came out. Younger folk (ie most of you!) would have no idea.
  • Reply 24 of 67
    It looked staged to me. The interviewer sounds like he was paid, for what was overall a product plug rather than a real interview.

Saying "I don't want an iPhone" while interviewing the CEO of Nokia is what is known as a softball question. If he really didn't want an iPhone, he'd have a Nokia Lumia Ballmer edition already.
  • Reply 25 of 67

Well I kind of like the Nokia 920. Of course ATT paid me about $10000 in stuff to take it (not really, but it was practically free). But she makes a call like a landline, iphone, samesung, two coconuts from Gilligan's Island or anything else. So as a backup phone, she's not that bad. And the most incredible part is that they waived the dataplan on the phone. Yes the minutes count against the entire mobile share plan, but no charges.

And the UI is a bit refreshing from ICS. I know in the long-run (this year) they (Nokia and Windows Mobile) are dead in the water. 

• Reply 26 of 67
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member

What is it with these executives losing their minds every time they hear the word iPhone?!

• Reply 27 of 67
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    If some CEO took my phone and threw it on the floor, that person would have a SEVERE problem on their hands. ELOP, that was COMPLETELY unprofessional. Maybe that's why Nokia is sucking wind.
  • Reply 28 of 67

But Apple is dead, right? What is Nokia doing about Samsung?

• Reply 29 of 67
    I guess Nokia has to go around and take people's iPhones away from them and give them a free Nokia phone to gain market share. Hmmmmmmmmm......

So ELOP took away a premium iPhone and gives the guy a low end Nokia? I would've asked for some money along with it to make up the difference.
  • Reply 30 of 67
    What do you expect? He is a former Microsoft VP. Standard operating procedure for Steve Ballmer is to throw a chair any time someone says "iPhone".
  • Reply 31 of 67
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Windows Phone is a non-starter. These clowns are willing to do anything at this point.
  • Reply 32 of 67
    jollypauljollypaul Posts: 328member

How to appear weak an inept 101. Sign up now, classes are limited.

• Reply 33 of 67

Quote:

Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

You may not like Microsoft products. But you cannot say Maritz and Elop didn't execute when they were there.

I agree, I meant their collective experience since leaving. Maritz took VMware's focus into nonsense products (Sliderocket) amd Elop has done next to nothing at Nokia. 

• Reply 34 of 67
    gusy32gusy32 Posts: 18member
    If you can't beat them, hate them
  • Reply 35 of 67

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

It looked staged to me. The interviewer sounds like he was paid, for what was overall a product plug rather than a real interview.

First off, this was in Finland.  So, they have their pride to deal with.  Nokia has done horribly since the iPhone and Android phones have come out as between Apple and Samsung, Nokia is dying on the vine, so a Finnish interviewer is going to promote Nokia, which is based in Finland.

Secondly, the interviewer is nothing more than some idiot that interviews people, he's not an industry expert, he's probably got VERY little practical experience in the IT world and probably doesn't know that much on how to decide what smartphone to use since he probably doesn't use that much in terms of functionality.

What do people inherently want?  FREE (EXPENSIVE) SMARTPHONES.    He obviously wanted a new flagship smartphone for FREEEEEEEE!!

So, since Nokia isn't announcing a HIGH end product, they are announcing a LOW END product, and the interviewer and ELOP just did some rather cheap production staged BS to act like this new Nokia phone is superior. 

Cheap publicity and I'm sure there are enough dumb gullible people that will probably buy a CHEAP Nokia a phone because of this interview.

• Reply 36 of 67

Quote:

Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

What is it with these executives losing their minds every time they hear the word iPhone?!

Jealousy.  No matter what they try to do, they just can't seem to get their company to make a decent product because these Android phones are nothing more than copy cats of an iPhone and Samsung is the one that actually makes money from Android phones for one very good reason.  They make most of the actual components inside.  If I were Nokia or any of these other phone mfg, I wouldn't get pissed at Apple, I would get pissed at Samsung, because what Samsung is getting away with is what is called CONFLICT OF INTEREST.

Samsung should just stay a component supplier and make money that way instead of competing with their component customers.  Samsung knows what components everyone else is using before they release a product, Samsung knows and can control the pricing model, and Samsung can also control the delivery of such components.  This is a VERY deceitful business practice and the Government, US or Korean, should clamp down on this practice, but since they are a South Korean company, the South Korean government looks the other way.   I don't know if this business practice would last long in this country.  I don't remember too many component suppliers that would compete with their customers by making a similar finished good.  That's like Intel coming out with their own line of fully assembled PCs and Laptops and trying to sell against HP, Dell, etc.  I just don't know how long they could get away with that business practice.

Nokia's biggest threat is not Apple, but Samsung.  

• Reply 37 of 67

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

What do you expect? He is a former Microsoft VP. Standard operating procedure for Steve Ballmer is to throw a chair any time someone says "iPhone".

I didn't realize ELOP was a former Microsoft VP.  That would explain it.   personally, Microsoft's biggest competitor in the smartphone market is not Apple, it's Android.  Since both Windows and Android are open architecture lines where the OS is put on various mfg hardware.  The difference is that Android phones are modified by each mfg, whereas Windows phones aren't.  Windows phones only differ from the hardware they put the OS on.

• Reply 38 of 67

Quote:

Originally Posted by broadbean View Post

I remember lusting after the Porsche 928 when it first came out. Younger folk (ie most of you!) would have no idea.

Yeah, I remember the Porsche 928.  It was a POS.  I've been in one.  In its day, it did look cool on the outside and it was fairly cool on the inside, but over time they fell apart.  It took them a while to get that car together and they finally killed it off.    The first engines only had 219 HP, which for a V8 is nothing.  You can easily get that much HP out of a 4 cylinder engine.   Porsche has too many parts that are carried over from the VW product line, hence the 914.  That was another POS.

The new Porsche's aren't too bad, if you like rear engine cars.   I wouldn't buy one, but the new ones are pretty decent, they just have to get away from sharing too many parts with VW, that's what I don't like about them.  Their interiors scream VW, which sucks.  It's like buying a Lexus and noticing a lot of parts are from a freaking Toyota.

You know the joke about Porsche owners?

What's the difference between a Porsche and a Porcupine? 

The Porcupine has the pricks on the outside?  LOL.   Sorry, but I couldn't resist.  

• Reply 39 of 67

I would be interested in finding out amongst these journalists, interviewers, and financial analysts how many of them get free devices from the various mfg.  Unfortunately, we don't know who gets what from whom, because that alone might have a BIG impact on who they promote.

I'm sure Samsung and some of these other companies trying to get attention have to give away free devices to these people in the media.  Apple generally doesn't give much free product away.  They can't afford to since they all want or maybe some of them "EXPECT" to get one for free just because someone else is desperate enough.  Samsung, I'm sure, gives a LOT of free stuff away to get media attention.  They are that desperate for attention, just like Nokia seems to be nowadays.

I think that each article and video posted by the media should have a caption that mentions what free products they've received so at least we know if they're palms are being greased, so to speak.

• Reply 40 of 67
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,386member

Quote:

Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Seeing as how iPhone is taking up a massive chunk of the entire smartphone industry profits, and how badly Windows phone is doing, it's understandable.